Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083e, Ford 4610, Ford 3000 (this ones family)

You can still buy a new New Holland sickle, problem is they are the same price as a disc mower. They are simple machines though. Old technology ( perfected for 100+years) works great for me. Personally I would stay away from the double cutting action machines. When they get wore they are only worth there weight in scrap (imho).
    Work Smarter Not Harder

Tractor

A sickle mower is not necessarily as slow as some would like to believe. If setup and adjusted correctly you can mow at least 8 mph with one. If you try to mow slow with one it can be aggravating as the hay tends to fall forward over the cutter bar creating a large wad clogging the cutters. I know this is a bit off topic ,I am just trying to help with your decision to spend wisely.
    Work Smarter Not Harder

Tractor
    jd 4000

Default Re: First time tractor buyer

Quote Originally Posted by mjcountrybumpkin View Post
    You can still buy a new New Holland sickle, problem is they are the same price as a disc mower. They are simple machines though. Old technology ( perfected for 100+years) works great for me. Personally I would stay away from the double cutting action machines. When they get wore they are only worth there weight in scrap (imho).
    Why do you say stay away from double cutting action machines?
    Just you average city kid who wants to become a farmer. I blog at http://www.myfarmeducation.ca/

Tractor
    jd 4000

A sickle mower is not necessarily as slow as some would like to believe. If setup and adjusted correctly you can mow at least 8 mph with one. If you try to mow slow with one it can be aggravating as the hay tends to fall forward over the cutter bar creating a large wad clogging the cutters. I know this is a bit off topic ,I am just trying to help with your decision to spend wisely.
    That is good to hear. Any information is helpful.

What do you use your sickle mower for>?
    Just you average city kid who wants to become a farmer. I blog at http://www.myfarmeducation.ca/

Tractor

My personal experience with double action machines is that when the cutter bars become wore the machines no longer function and the repair costs are double what they would be for a standard sickle mower. The more moving parts seems to be more opportunity for failure.
    In my own uses the double cutter seems to not be as durable ( cutter parts wear out quicker ). I have not used all brands of double action machines , so I am just speaking from the few I have used. I am not saying they are all bad just the brands I used did not impress me.
    We use our sickle mower for all types of mowing , such as mowing grass hay and alfalfa, mowing pastures , rough areas where rocks make it almost impossible to use any other type mower without dodging flying objects , and occasionally cutting corn for fodder shocks.
    Work Smarter Not Harder

Tractor
    jd 4000

My personal experience with double action machines is that when the cutter bars become wore the machines no longer function and the repair costs are double what they would be for a standard sickle mower. The more moving parts seems to be more opportunity for failure.
    In my own uses the double cutter seems to not be as durable ( cutter parts wear out quicker ). I have not used all brands of double action machines , so I am just speaking from the few I have used. I am not saying they are all bad just the brands I used did not impress me.
    We use our sickle mower for all types of mowing , such as mowing grass hay and alfalfa, mowing pastures , rough areas where rocks make it almost impossible to use any other type mower without dodging flying objects , and occasionally cutting corn for fodder shocks.
    Thanks for the information. I will have to keep that in mind when I look at hay equipment

Tractor
    case ih farmall 55a

Did you find a tractor yet?

Tractor
    jd 4000

Quote Originally Posted by farmall 55a case View Post
    Did you find a tractor yet?
    Not yet. I am taking my time and keeping my eyes out. I don't want to rush into it.

Somehow I don't think tractors have a return policy.

Maybe something like this will work.

The Zetor 7340 might be a decent all round one.

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

TractorData.com Zetor 7340 tractor information

Sounds like a lot of tractor for the money yet the original price was only 25000.
    Are parts available. hours?
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    jd 4000

Quote Originally Posted by yelbike View Post
    TractorData.com Zetor 7340 tractor information

Sounds like a lot of tractor for the money yet the original price was only 25000.
    Are parts available. hours?
    That is what I am not sure about. In my area there aren't any Zetor dealers, so I think it would be a lot of ordering online.

I checked out tractor data as well to see what the specs were. Seems like a decent tractor. I don't know much about the brand mind you, or their reliability etc

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast