Buying Advice First time tractor buyer

/ First time tractor buyer #1  

ipjrobson

Tractor
jd 4000
Hello everyone,

First time tractor buyer here. I stumbled upon this forum and thought this would be a great place for this type of discussion.

I am looking for a multi purpose tractor.

50 acre farm
hay and corn
100 sheep.

Thinking about buying used. Something under $10,000.

I have no brand affinity. I live in Canada.

What would you suggest?

/ First time tractor buyer #2  
I had an 1963 Fordson super major with FEL. Great tractor, just be careful of 2wd, they get stuck. Mine got stuck alot. They can be had around for about $5000 with fel or 2500 without. Just what first came to mind. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Might need a little more info so we help spend your money. How much corn? Round bales? Mowing?

/ First time tractor buyer
25 acres corn
25 hay

round baler, and mowing

/ First time tractor buyer #4  
hmm.. hay?

corn?

large acerage?

under 10K$

1 machne to do all?

good luck.

your bailer and rake and mower will eat your 10K up ...

Hello everyone,

First time tractor buyer here. I stumbled upon this forum and thought this would be a great place for this type of discussion.

I am looking for a multi purpose tractor.

50 acre farm
hay and corn
100 sheep.

Thinking about buying used. Something under $10,000.

I have no brand affinity. I live in Canada.

What would you suggest?

What would you suggest then SoundGuy?

hmm.. hay?

corn?

large acerage?

under 10K$

1 machne to do all?

good luck.

your bailer and rake and mower will eat your 10K up ...

How much money would you need for enough tractor to do those activities?

/ First time tractor buyer #8  
How much money would you need for enough tractor to do those activities?

realistically.. your rake could be 2500$.. a mower could be 2500-7500 depending on make age, etc. you might luck out and find a sickle bar for less and just take forever and a day. the round bailer will eat your lunch.. I'd rarely ever found a good enough to use one for less than 4000$

hp.. i wouldn't hit this with less than 50hp.. in a ford platform.. i think a 4000, 4600, 4610, 5000 5600, 5610 ( II and s series ) the later 6610 and 7610s are large int he 80 and 90hp ranges.. a lil overkill and will price you out, even being 10-15ys used.

so.. that 50ish hp tractor is likely to set you back 4500-7500$

all in all.. 1 machine to do all is a hard press fit.

if I was doing it.. I'd get the ( 4600-5610 ) and then have another tractor.. this one can be an older chapy.. like a ford 00 series from 55-64.. preferably an 8xx or 9xx model.. this will make a good rake.

also keep in mind with no loader you won't be stacking bales.. you will be stuck with 3pt bale carrier.

a ford 00 series with a loader will move 4x5 rounds.. but 5x5 are getting abusive. your 00 with a loader will be up to 3500$ or more if minty.. less if worked hard. without loader.. 2000+

or you can get a laoder for your main unit, and figure another 2500-4000$ IE.. expect to pay 10k$ for the tractor and loader by itself.

and that's what I'd do.. 4600-5610 with laoder.. bailer, rake and mower... and then a smaller ford like a 8xx or 9xx to mow and do other duties.. like pull a wagon.

you could go square bailer and save a couple thou.. but do more overall work.. need a kicker style and a follow trailer.. or will be making more passes and need labor.

small scale hay is hard.

the 2nd tractor is GOOD to have. if you did get a 8xx or 9xx ( or heck.. ford 2xxx/3xxx ) in a pinch it may run the bailer in an emergency..

probably not what you wanted to hear.

up to 50ac is quite a bit to maintain.

if it was just a hobby setup.. I'd say the old ford 8xx/9xx, sickle bar mower, rake and square bailer and you would still be around 10-12k depending on if a loader was in there and how badly the stuff was beat up.

( hay bailers require maintenance. )

/ First time tractor buyer #9  
I'd say ALLIS CHALMERS 170 to 200 good old basic tractor that would handle all your needs! Just make sure it stays in 3 gear! That's about the only problem I ever hear about them!

/ First time tractor buyer #10  
My main hp concern would be what you are gonna do with corn chop for silage or pick. If picking corn 50 hp will take care of all your needs ,if chopping 70hp minimum to handle. Older heavy iron is the more economical way to go. I like the thoughts of the 170-200 allis chalmers. Definitely go diesel for fuel efficiency as a big gasser would bankrupt you on fuel. Happy hunting for your new toy.