Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #11  
There's also increased danger of rolling over backwards if dragging such a suspended weight, particularly if going uphill.

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt
I need to pick up the logs and lift them onto my mill with my 3pt 1 ton rated pallet forks.

I'd LIKE to be able to afford a tractor that could do it with the FEL, but that usually means a more expensive tractor

Just envisioning someone trying to carry a 12' log perpendicular to the direction of travel thru the woods has me ROFL.

Tractordata, and many manufacturers, may only list 1 rating on their web sites. I can ASSUME that is at the pins and not 24" beyond, but that is only an assumption. Sometimes Tractordata doesn't list any lift capacity. I don't know if some publication has data like that compiled similar to what Trailer Life does for tow ratings. I was hoping someone had a link to data like that.

Thanks for the pointer to the MF.
/edit - special thanks because they have a comparison "engine" which lists lift capacities not found on Tractordata - like for the John Deere 4320 at the pin ends is 3130lbs

Again, this is only for a hobby.

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #13  
Could you build a ramp to your mill and push it on with the loader and a set of forks?

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #15  
A lot of good suggestions on here. I'm not sure if you thought of it but I think a skid steer would do the job. I use my 317 Deere to remove logs from the woods, all 8 ft long and ranging from 12"-24" in diameter. I usually will move several logs at a time (2-4), all using 48" pallet forks. Used construction machinery is cheap right now, I priced out a new 318D and they wanted $33k for one, so I got my 317 for 1/3rd the price with 1000 hours on it. :thumbsup: Plus skid steers are very maneuverable which is priceless in the woods. Check out your local craigslist/dealer websites/machinery trader for prices. My 317 with the rear weights is rated to lift 2100 lbs. Just my :2cents:

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #16  
In my hunt for another tractor I'm looking for one that will lift a ton on the 3pt.

One of it's prime duties will be moving logs. A 12' long white oak log 24" at the big end, 20" at the small end runs about 2000 lbs. This is on the big side of what my Woodmizer LT10 will mill so I figure asking for a ton capacity on the 3pt is about right.

In looking over specs for my favorite color tractors (orange and red, I generally don't have the green for green) most of them have to be around 40HP plus to lift a ton.

But today checking a John Deere 4310 on TractorData it shows it as engine HP 31.2, lift capacity at 24" 2,200lbs.

So questions -
Is this correct? For example that lift is about what a Kioti DK40 lifts.

Does anyone know of a data base that lists 3pt lift capacities for a wide variety of tractors? Tractordata sometimes doesn't have it. And often they will only list 1 versus one at the pins and one 24" past.

A DK-40 lifts 2495 lbs at 24"

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #17  
Is the three point going to lift it high enough for your mill?Ramp or tripod and chain-fall?

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #18  
The sawmills I've seen have ramps and a winch/pulley system to get the logs up, are you just looking for a faster/easier way ? Pushing it up ramps with the loader should work, if your careful.

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #19  
Just envisioning someone trying to carry a 12' log perpendicular to the direction of travel thru the woods has me ROFL.

That same thing gave me some grins when trying to figure why you needed to lift the whole log on the 3pt. I guess you can tell I never used a Woodmizer type outfit!

Best of luck with your shopping. You should have plenty to choose from.

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #20