Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
In my hunt for another tractor I'm looking for one that will lift a ton on the 3pt.

One of it's prime duties will be moving logs. A 12' long white oak log 24" at the big end, 20" at the small end runs about 2000 lbs. This is on the big side of what my Woodmizer LT10 will mill so I figure asking for a ton capacity on the 3pt is about right.

In looking over specs for my favorite color tractors (orange and red, I generally don't have the green for green) most of them have to be around 40HP plus to lift a ton.

But today checking a John Deere 4310 on TractorData it shows it as engine HP 31.2, lift capacity at 24" 2,200lbs.

So questions -
Is this correct? For example that lift is about what a Kioti DK40 lifts.

Does anyone know of a data base that lists 3pt lift capacities for a wide variety of tractors? Tractordata sometimes doesn't have it. And often they will only list 1 versus one at the pins and one 24" past.

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #2  
I'm afraid the only thing to do will be to look up the specs individually. One manufacturer had a side by side comparison online but I can't remember who and its been a few years since I saw it.

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #4  
My L3240 is rated at 2650 pounds 24 inches behind the lift points,according to the specs.It is rated at 3750 pounds at the lift points.

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #5  
The Grand L Kubota's are all above 2,000 lbs. capacity on the 3 pt., even the 32 hp model, as kcender mentioned. There have been several TBN members with the smaller Grand L's that have used them quite successfully for logging, usually with a logging winch setup.

Are you figuring to skid the logs or pick them up whole on the 3 pt. ? If you're going to try lifting them whole, you'll need something more than the typical 3 pt carry-all to handle that much weight.

Also, read carefully when comparing the published specs. Most manufacturers list two capacities: at the lift arm and 24" behind the arm (supposedly more representative of real-world capacity). But some only list a "lift capacity" and don't tell you which measurement they're publishing.

Expect you probably know all this already, but thought it worth mentioning.

Last edited:
   / Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #6  
Massey Ferguson has some of the Fastest and strongest out there. If you check Lift capacity @ hitch point in LBS. The Smaller 1529 lift is 2,425 and the larger 1660 will lift 3,744.

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #7  
Carrying it sideways will require 12' and make your tractor extremely prone to tipping if not perfectly balanced. I would pick up one end and drag it.

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #9  
But today checking a John Deere 4310 on TractorData it shows it as engine HP 31.2, lift capacity at 24" 2,200lbs.

So questions -
Is this correct? For example that lift is about what a Kioti DK40 lifts.

The rating you listed for the Deere 4310 is correct, but that doesn't mean it's safe (with the 4310 or any other compact tractor). A 2200 lb ballast box, for example, would be a safe load due to it's compactness. A 20' log, even if the weight is within the tractor's limits, could result in a "tail wagging the dog" event.

/ Need a tractor to lift a ton on the 3 pt #10  
A Grand L Kubota will lift a ton.