Kubotaa MX5000 vs. NH TC45D

/ Kubotaa MX5000 vs. NH TC45D #1  

FarmerChip

I had been comparing an L4630 and an MX5000 for my 60 acre horse farm. I haven't used HST before but I got a chance to spend some time on a 4630 HST yesterday. I'm not kean on the pedal arrangement, but I like the idea of HST. The problem is using the brakes to make a tight turn. The MX5000 has more power for the buck but no HST. Someone suggested I look at the NH TC45 D with supersteer. Any thoughts? What should I be expected to pay? I could use a tight turning radius for working around paddocks and jumping rings.

/ Kubotaa MX5000 vs. NH TC45D #2  
Have you thought about the Mahindra line, 4500, 5500, 6000,6500 all are a excellent tractors and great value for the money. 3 yr warranty, very low financing .

/ Kubotaa MX5000 vs. NH TC45D #3  
I hated HST when I was shopping, but now (owning one) I would never want a tractor without it. It's number one benefit to me: safety.

When shopping, I drove the 4610HST (closest to the current 4630HST, MX5000 and the TC45D. The MX5000 seems to be marketed as a "bridge" tractor crossing over from compact to utility. I was told it can be used to make hay because it is heavy and has the HP to pack it. There is no shuttle, so loader work requires a full stop to change directions.

The TC45D is a big subcompact. It doesnt weight enough for haymaking, but it can do a lot. The 16/17LA loader is one of the best around, especially since they fixed the joystick problems. Unlike the Kubota HSTs, two pedals on the right are for forward and reverse (no rocker). The two pedals on the left are for the brakes, so you can drive and used differential braking. Without supersteer, the turns are pretty sharp, but it digs up the soil a little. Supersteer prevents this.

Try the TC45D with and without supersteer - you can decide if the $ difference is worth it or not.

Mark

BTW, I think the Deere HSTs have a similar pedal arrangement.

/ Kubotaa MX5000 vs. NH TC45D #4  
I had never heard of HST much less tried it prior to my eventually purchase of it. I had and still have a International 454 with differential braking that works very good. Using the HST instead of differential braking not only did I find easier, but the control in and around tight areas like Paddocks is far superior to using the brakes to do the turning. The instant forward/backward ability more then makes up for the lack of ability to turn around in a paddock or other tight area. If its that tight, the supreme control with HST is EXACTLY what you want. A simple Y turn is so fast and easy with HST. If your in a open field, you can still differential brake on the Kubota simply by using the very easy to engage cruise control which gives your right foot the ability to use either brake. If you hit both, you disengage cruise control, its that easy. I have long since quit using differntial braking since my purchase of HST, it's just not needed for my needs anymore. The pedal arrangement works just great for me and one thing for sure, you won't ever get which pedal your on confused with the Kubota. I rest my heel on the floor matt and my foot rests on the tip of the pedal. The MX 5000 is a great tractor, but without the HST, I was just not interested. The power in most of these compacts is really quite good regardless of make. I use a 84" finnish mower on my L3830 with no power issues of concern. While the MX5000 is definitely a nice inexpensive alternative to the L5030, do consider the L4330. If my use was to drag a plow around ripping soil, or other typical farming uses, I would then and only then consider a tractor with a manual transmission. Rat.

/ Kubotaa MX5000 vs. NH TC45D
Thanks for the info. I'll have to give the TC45 a try. I'm not sure I'll be doing hay, but that is a consideration. I've heard the TC45 is difficult to steer in tight spots using supersteer with the FEL on. Any thoughts on that?

/ Kubotaa MX5000 vs. NH TC45D #6  
You might go look at the John Deere 4710 too. I believe these are the biggest JD makes with HST tranny in the compact/utility size. They are usually priced competitively.
As far as I know,
People on this board are happy with theirs.
If your Deere dealer is not worthy of your business, I'll give you the number of mine...Kyle

/ Kubotaa MX5000 vs. NH TC45D #7  
Like others have said, when you actually get to working with a hydro drive machine, the ability to adjust speed and direction becomes so intuitive and second-nature, most everyone who has a compact tractor with HST would not go back to a gear-tranny. If you're doing serious ag work, it's a different story.

As for which kind of foot pedal, take your pick. I have a larger Kubota (L4610) with one pedal and just bought a JD lawn tractor (L130) that has separate pedals. For me, the Kubota arrangement is a bit easier, but not enough difference to matter. I have heard some folks with really big feet say their feet get tangled in the Kubota pedal, but for my size 11's it's not a problem.

The HST instant forward/reverse capability more than makes up for the brake steering issue on my Kubota in almost every situation. I have only needed to brake steer when trying to bust out of deep, muddy ruts.

That TC45D is a nice rig... probably compares most directly with the L4330 or L4630 Kubotas. You couldn't go wrong with either brand, and all of these tractors should have enough ponies under the hood to get the job done on your property.

Have fun shopping!

/ Kubotaa MX5000 vs. NH TC45D #8  
I've got both a Kubota and an NH. Neither are of the size you are looking at so my comments must be taken for the smaller size units. Both of the tractors have HST and I could not imagine going back. Actually I can experience it every time I get on my Oliver, but that may be why I put that tractor up for sale! HST is the cats **** when you get a tractor into a tight space. The control is fantastic and I would not go back if I had the option of getting the HST.

As for the SuperSteer option on the NH, I have only heard good things about it, but you have to get used to it.