TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930

/ TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930 #1  

Tricia

I'm looking for a 4wd tractor for haying with a JD336 and a wagon, level and sloping fields. Would appreciate some opinions on the New Holland versus the older Ford/New Holland tractors. TIA.

/ TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930 #2  
:welcome:

/ TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930 #3  
I currently have a Ford 2600 and a NH TN70A. Previously, I also had a 7610S.

The old Ford tractors are built like tanks. The 7610S was a bull! (100 hp and 4wd) They are good, solid, well-made, durable machines.

Personally, I love the TN series. It's quieter, easier to handle, and more fuel efficient than the older machines. But, there's more plastic on it, and only time will tell if the IVECO engines will last as long as those old Fords.

I would suggest that consider a little more horsepower for haying, if you're planning to do a lot of it.

/ TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930 #4  
I like all of these tractors but would look for a TN75 at a minimum if you could. Baling wise it will handle it that much better. The tractors listed will work but they won't be overly happy. I currently bale with a TN65 on a NH 575 and the TN is underpowered for the baler but it does the job. I preferred to bale with my 7710-II when I had it. The extra power was great. Made baling so much easier.

/ TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930 #5  
I own a 1998 3930 4WD and I use it primarily to clip hillside pastures in Middle TN. I have found it to be a very tough tractor. It is easy to operate and service.

/ TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930 #6  
I own a 1998 3930 4WD and I use it primarily to clip hillside pastures in Middle TN. I have found it to be a very tough tractor. It is easy to operate and service.

I loved the old Fords. I think the new machines are okay but not as good as the old machines. In my opinion none of the new machines no matter what brand will be as good as the old machines. The new machines in my opinion lack the weight that was built into allot of your older machines. The new machines you need to load the tires are add weigts at front of tractor and rear wheels. All of the newer machines have plastic. I think most of the engines today in the smaller machines no matter what brand will last a long time. I know the Iveco engine in the New Hollands has a good name. I like my TN70.

/ TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930 #7  
I know a guy that had a 3930 or a 4630 I can't remember. It is really under powered. He has had this problem with it since it was new.

/ TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930 #8  
I had an almost new Ford 3930. It was under-powered, noisy and almost impossible to shift the range shifter. I liked the shuttle shift and mechanically had no problems. I also would recommend something larger than this for a baler.

OrangeGuy

/ TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930 #9  
I know a guy that had a 3930 or a 4630 I can't remember. It is really under powered. He has had this problem with it since it was new.

Has he had it looked over? I have ran around 10 different 3930's and 4 3910's and two 4630's. All of them were great tractors with plenty of power for their tasks (pulling medium duty 5' Bush Hog rotary cutters), grape trailers with 3+ tons of grapes through mud and the 4630's were both loaders used to load 1 ton boxes of grapes onto and off of trailers. Only one 4630 was fwa, the rest of the tractors were 2wd. The only real issues was pulling a 5 ton lime spreader in a tilled field as the narrow vineyard models would sink in the soft spots. I had to hook the TN65 with 12' disc still attached to them to pull them through.

I really like the old Ford 10 and 30 series. They are very well respected and can take a ton of abuse. So I would have to think either your friends tractor has an issue with the motor or he is trying to work an implement that is too big for it.

/ TN60 versus Ford 4630/3930 #10  
Has he had it looked over? I have ran around 10 different 3930's and 4 3910's and two 4630's. All of them were great tractors with plenty of power for their tasks (pulling medium duty 5' Bush Hog rotary cutters), grape trailers with 3+ tons of grapes through mud and the 4630's were both loaders used to load 1 ton boxes of grapes onto and off of trailers. Only one 4630 was fwa, the rest of the tractors were 2wd. The only real issues was pulling a 5 ton lime spreader in a tilled field as the narrow vineyard models would sink in the soft spots. I had to hook the TN65 with 12' disc still attached to them to pull them through.

I really like the old Ford 10 and 30 series. They are very well respected and can take a ton of abuse. So I would have to think either your friends tractor has an issue with the motor or he is trying to work an implement that is too big for it.

A 5' cutter would not be much for that tractor. After thinking about it the tractor was a 3930. He took it back to the dealer they dynoed it and it made a whopping 28hp. He said they had 2 or 3 others on the lot and they checked them and they only made 28hp. They said the pump was set to factory spec and they would not turn it up. He said they did some stuff to it and got it up to the high 30's. After the warranty went out he got them to turn the pump up on it and it made like 42. There were alot of people around here in the mid to late 90's with under powered Ford New Hollands.