Buying Advice New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements

/ New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements #1  

verdanthills

Tractor
Case IH Farmall 95
Hi All,

We bought a small family farm of 80 acres about 6 months ago. About 55 acres are going to be used for grazing cattle and maybe cutting and baling a portion that the cattle don't use. About 20 acres will be raised for hay. About another 5 acres need to be cut for brush and maintained.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an M7040HDC. I'll be getting a rotary brush cutter right away to cut down brush and weeds. I will be removating the pastures and will acquire a discer but will probably hire someone with a bigger machine to plow the 75 acres. For longer term, I'll be acquiring used hay making equipment (basic mower/conditioner, rake, and small rectangular baler).

Based on my limited research, it looks like most hay making equipment requires about 50 hp at the PTO. I think I should be ok with the 7040 with 64 hp at the PTO. Any opinions?

I'm thinking of going with the standard loader (not self-leveling) and r4 tires (with ballast). Any opinions on the standard loader without self-leveling? Are most people able to keep the bucket relatively level while raising it? The tractor has 1 set of remotes standard. Do I need an additional remote?

Regarding the rotary cutter, I'm thinking of a mid to heavy duty version (7 foot cutter) that weighs about 1100-1400 pounds. I was looking at the Woods brand 840 series. Any opinions?

I'm pretty much set on the Kubota because the brand is well serviced in my area and is strong in the 50-70 hp tractor range. Any and all opinions are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Newbie farmer

/ New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements #2  
Just my :2cents: here, but I believe that you should get the 2nd & 3rd rear remotes with the original purchase of the tractor. Get both of them with the float option, better to have the option and not need it vs needing it and not having it. As far as the self leveling loader, most people get along without them, but in my opinion they SURE ARE NICE to have, especially Kubota's where you can turn it off & on. That is just GREAT in my opinion. Be sure to get the power shuttle with the creeper transmission.

I just built a 7040 on the Kubota website how I would want it and it lists out for a little over $58k. So 10-15% off of that would put it in the $52-$49 arena.

Good luck with your choices. ;)

/ New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements
Just my :2cents: here, but I believe that you should get the 2nd & 3rd rear remotes with the original purchase of the tractor. Get both of them with the float option, better to have the option and not need it vs needing it and not having it. As far as the self leveling loader, most people get along without them, but in my opinion they SURE ARE NICE to have, especially Kubota's where you can turn it off & on. That is just GREAT in my opinion. Be sure to get the power shuttle with the creeper transmission.

I just built a 7040 on the Kubota website how I would want it and it lists out for a little over $58k. So 10-15% off of that would put it in the $52-$49 arena.

Good luck with your choices. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions! Could you give me some examples on what the additional remotes would be used for?

/ New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements #4  
Top & tilt hydraulics for the 3pt hitch (2). Any 3pt implements that might have a or some hydraulics on them. Trust me, as we get older it's not so much fun stopping, getting off of the tractor and making manual adjustments. If you are going to have any trails or roads on your property, then you will be doing some grading of some sort. When you are grading, top & tilt cylinders on the 3pt are worth every penny. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    566.8 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 391
  • P5080007.JPG
    P5080007.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 651
   / New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements #5  
Really can't add much to what MtnViewRanch, I have had a self leveling loader and found no real need for it, so I didn't get it with ours; now if it was free... Also I have been using loaders for quite some time and have no trouble keeping it level, if you are new and have concerns it may be the way to go as many new users often wind up with a dent in the hood when they don't pay attention; guess only you can decide.

I really like the hydraulic shuttle shift, much easier to use than our previous tractor with synchro shuttle.

I get by with two remotes on our M8540 and won't be adding another, but when I bought our L5740 a couple of years later, I got three remotes, didn't think to get a float on any and should have.

We have Ag tires on our M and Industrial on our L; if you aren't going to be running in the mud or pulling ground engagement implements in loose soil, Industrial will work well, another unending debate though as there are supporters and detractors.

I personally don't care much for the 7 foot single spindle cutters due to the length and use a six foot and ten foot. A good compromise, in my opinion only, is a twin spindle 3PH 8' though the cost will be significantly more.

I know absolutely nothing about hay, so I can't really help there.

There are several TBN members who own an M7040, GWDixon, foreman Etexas come to mind.

/ New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements #6  
Not sure of the soil where you are, but if it is anything but very hard dirt and rock, for your stated uses, I'd go with R1 tires.
Also suggest you get the cast rear wheels for the added weight.
On the remotes, get 3 rear remotes. You WILL find a use for them.
Never had a problem keeping the loader level with the manual type loader.

We've had our 7040 for several years now and are pretty happy with it.

/ New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements #7  
You didn't mention any kind of finish mowing or any other type of work where you are concerned about tire marks. With that said, go R1 tires and add fluid to the rears. As for rear remotes, more than tip and tilt I'd look at the potential to be pulling attachments that require hydraulics such as a wheel disc, brush cutter with hydraulic lift on cutter wheels, pull type plow lifted by hydraulics, etc, etc. Then the ability to add tip and tilt comes as a bonus. Good luck with your property purchase and your future tractor purchase.

/ New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements #8  
I think a 7040 sounds perfect for your needs personaly i get ag tires instead of r-4's and i would get dual remotes but i dont think i spend the extra for 3

/ New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements #9  
Welcome to the forum. Everyone has already given very good advice but i'll echo what a few have already mentioned. Go for 3 rear remotes, the cost is not that much and a lot of hay equipment uses a couple remotes now. For your stated uses i would get the R1 tires with rimguard in the rears and the cast center wheels for extra weight. The hydraulic shuttle would make operating much nicer.
Good luck with your purchase.

/ New Kubota M7040 HDC + Implements #10  
The 7040 works well for me,I run couple hundred acres,cattle and bale my own hay. I don't care for the self level on loader,run dual remotes,rarely use both but going to get a batwing mower and wish I had 3now. I use a 8ft and 12ft shredder both pull-type,both tractor are sync.shuttles haven't had any issues,and don't mind pushing in the clutch.