which to buy 4x5 or 5x5

/ which to buy 4x5 or 5x5 #1  

ejm15

Tractor
kubota mx 5100
Ok so I'm looking into buying a round baler and hope to start doing some costom baling this year. My neighbor said that he would recomend getting a 4x5 beacause the bales sell faster due to ther portability. Then my other neighbor said he would recomend getting a 5x5 beacause many cattle and ranch owners would prefer the extra hay per bale. any recommendations?

/ which to buy 4x5 or 5x5 #2  
:2cents:I'll give you a firewood analogy: you can burn 16" wood in a 24" firebox but not the other way around. When I sold firewood I made everything 16" because of that. Are there any advantages from one size baler to another? A 5X5 bale may be too big for some people to handle with their equipment. That's my :2cents:

Attachments

• DSCF1332.JPG
    DSCF1332.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 172
   / which to buy 4x5 or 5x5
Well that adds up. thanks for the :2cents:

/ which to buy 4x5 or 5x5 #5  
The folks in my area went to 4 foot rolls because the DOT was a pain with a 10 foot wide load.

/ which to buy 4x5 or 5x5 #6  
im a life long cattlemen an have fed differnt sizes of hay over the years.when we was in the dairy business we baled our own hay.an we only used 5 by 6 balers because you didnt have to feed as often.but last year the custom baler we used had a 4 by 6 baler.so this year we are feeding 8 or bales a week insted of 7 of the big bales.now most people use 4 by 5 or 4 by 6 balers because they are easy to handle an fitt on a trailer nicely.

/ which to buy 4x5 or 5x5 #7  
Get the 5x5 and you can always set it to bale a 5x4. I like the 5x4 for hauling but before I bought my own I always had someone bale 5x6's.

/ which to buy 4x5 or 5x5
So would a 4x6 be near eaqual to a 5x5 as far as wieght and mass go?

/ which to buy 4x5 or 5x5 #9  
Ok so I'm looking into buying a round baler and hope to start doing some costom baling this year. My neighbor said that he would recomend getting a 4x5 beacause the bales sell faster due to ther portability. Then my other neighbor said he would recomend getting a 5x5 beacause many cattle and ranch owners would prefer the extra hay per bale. any recommendations?

4 X 5 will tip over sometime on uneven fields. You have to watch where you dump them. FWIW, I would charge the same for rolling a 4 X 5 as a 5 X 5. Makes more bales that you get paid for, offsets, using more twine and spending more time tie cycling the smaller bales. Ken Sweet

/ which to buy 4x5 or 5x5 #10  
A 5x5 is 98 cubic feet, a 4x6 is 75 cubic feet.