Buying Advice Another first-time tractor buyer needs advice

/ Another first-time tractor buyer needs advice #1  

Elakeind

Tractor
2003 NH TC25D
Hi! I am new to the forum and also new to owning rural property. I just purchased about 40 acres in south central Indiana and am considering whether to buy a tractor. The property is mostly wooded and a bit hilly, and also has a 10+ acre lake. We will be building a second/retirement home on the property in the near future.

The primary use for a tractor would be improving and maintaining about 600-700 feet of gravel drive and another mile or so of mixed gravel and dirt paths through the property. I will have to do (or have done) major improvement on about 450 feet of the drive before I can begin serious construction on the house later this year, so I have to choose soon whether to buy a tractor and do the work myself or pay more to have someone improve the drive for me. I do not plan to use a tractor for mowing, as the small portion of the property that is mowed can be handled with an existing mower with a 45 inch deck. After we get the house built, I would use the tractor for ongoing maintenance work around the property. In the future I might put in a food plot in a more remote portion of the property and would use the tractor for that work.

I have already picked up on this forum that having a reliable dealer nearby is a big plus and that makes even more sense for a newbie like me. I have Deer and Kubota dealers close by that have been in the area for many years and primarily service the ag industry, and there is a Kioti dealer about 45 miles away that I am not familiar with. I assume, but have not checked, that there is a decent market for used equipment in the area because of all of the ag business and I am not opposed to buying used equipment, especially if I can establish a good relationship with a dealer.

I suspect based on reading so far that I need a utility tractor with an FEL and a box blade to do the work that I am contemplating, but I may be way off and really want your advice. I am also interested in any opinions on the types of grader implements that can be pulled behind an ATV or truck to accomplish some of the road work that I need to do. I already have a 500cc ATV and might be able to use that if those implements are sufficiently serious tools for my needs.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

/ Another first-time tractor buyer needs advice #2  
Welcome, Jon I have a Kubota L3400 and it will do pretty much everything I need to do. I have about 6 acres here where I live, but like you plan to retire and have 30-40 acres a few years down the road. I don't see that I would need anything other than my Kubota to do what would be needed. Kubota and John Deere have great packages right now and you could get all the equipment you mentioned in one of those packages. Call around and get lots of quotes and use them negotiate with your local dealer for the best price. I'm sure there will be more advice to come, so good luck and most of all have fun. :cool2: Perry

/ Another first-time tractor buyer needs advice #3  
Suggest the driveway be h,irked out and have it properly finished.:D

For the tractor take lots of time shopping. Make yourself familiar with implements and different tractors as well as pricing in general. Just don't be in a rush. That costs money!:thumbsup:

/ Another first-time tractor buyer needs advice #4  
Hi! I am new to the forum and also new to owning rural property.
Welcome aboard!
I just purchased about 40 acres in south central Indiana and am considering whether to buy a tractor. The property is mostly wooded and a bit hilly, and also has a 10+ acre lake. We will be building a second/retirement home on the property in the near future.

The primary use for a tractor would be improving and maintaining about 600-700 feet of gravel drive and another mile or so of mixed gravel and dirt paths through the property. I will have to do (or have done) major improvement on about 450 feet of the drive before I can begin serious construction on the house later this year, so I have to choose soon whether to buy a tractor and do the work myself or pay more to have someone improve the drive for me. I do not plan to use a tractor for mowing, as the small portion of the property that is mowed can be handled with an existing mower with a 45 inch deck. After we get the house built, I would use the tractor for ongoing maintenance work around the property. In the future I might put in a food plot in a more remote portion of the property and would use the tractor for that work.
Definitely hire out the drive, unless you have lot's more time than money.<snip>
I suspect based on reading so far that I need a utility tractor with an FEL and a box blade to do the work that I am contemplating, but I may be way off and really want your advice. I am also interested in any opinions on the types of grader implements that can be pulled behind an ATV or truck to accomplish some of the road work that I need to do. I already have a 500cc ATV and might be able to use that if those implements are sufficiently serious tools for my needs.

You probably need about a 40HP tractor that can lift a ton with the 3pt. 4WD recommended, FEL & box blade mandatory.

If you will be doing a lot of trail maintenance remember there is a tradeoff between larger tractors and mobility amongst the trees. Bigger is not always better when going thru the woods.