Buying Advice Another first time buyer

/ Another first time buyer #11  
There is really nothing to compare with a tractor with heated AND air conditioned cab for working comfort. Problem with many of the older ones which you would have to be fairly old to get a 40-50 HP with cab for $15K. In the age bracket that you would find a tractor for the money you have budgeted, a 50 HP + or- 5HP is going to be about the smallest you will find with a cab. TODAY they are putting them on smaller and smaller tractors, I think you can even get one on a SCUT like the Kubota BX models.
Just shop around and you may run into a deal, but check the AC and heat on the cab closely along with the rest of the tractor of course. One other thing, Broken glass in a cab is extremely expensive to replace in like the Thousands rather than hundreds so dont accept one thinking that its like a windshield in a car because they rip you a new one to replace the broken glass in a tractor cab.
The other problem is with a tractor that old, there might be some issues with heat and air not functioning properly, just like a 10 year old car, they crap out on you with age. Heck sometimes they fail in just a few hours as my BIL found out with his brand new New Holland with about 20 hours on it the compressor locked up. It was warranted but the transport to the dealer cost him $200.
Check on new pricing for a small 30 HP (this is plenty large for your needs) cabbed tractor with heat and AC before shopping too much with used. You may be pleasantly surprised at what you can afford new.

/ Another first time buyer #12  
For 38 acres, I would think in the 40hp range. You may be primarily working with 5 acres, but you'll find tons of used in those other 33 acres...

I got my NH TC40D with low hours, loader, and 6' mower for $15k three years ago.

I had a great Kubota before, but it was under powered for 5 acres, with hills. But now the same size chassis has jumped from 19hp to over 30hp... It sucks to be under powered...

My wife uses the tractor frequently. She also drove one at a nursery . In addition to extra power, both of us really like the 1/2 yard loader on the current tractor...

Whatever you do, try all the tractors you can. Check out the dealer for service. You may find a you like a different tractor or dealer than you were originally considering...

/ Another first time buyer #14  
Low hour machine, average of less than 50 hours a year. No mower, some fresh paint(needs looked over carefully).

/ Another first time buyer #15  
Woodman,

Thats not a bad unit or price - maybe $1K high, but if you need a snowblower, and mower - like a 3PTH rear finish mower you will end up adding another $3-4K to the price. The B7500 is a nice unit, the loader is capable of lifting about 700 lbs and you will defintely need some weight on the rear, snowblower or blade to get around.

As Don poinits out new paint can be suspect, but if its just the bucket and not the rest of the machine thats probably OK.

Personally I think with 33 acres in trees and 5 to manage, you will be looking to "trade up" in a few years for a bigger machine.

Look for something with a QA bucket for adding a grapple etc and then a rear blade or snowblower in the 30-38HP range - this might cost $15-20K but would be a better long term investment.

Carl

/ Another first time buyer #16  
Don and Carl have it about right, IMHO. The B series Kubotas are the smaller sized models and I think the larger L series is more in line with your work requirements. That said, that B7500, small though it may be, could accomplish a lot for you until your budget can accomodate something larger. Make sure it's in good condition, of course.

/ Another first time buyer #18  
B2410 was the delux model when it was new. Nice, popular little units. That one has low hours, maybe the original owner is selling, could be a very nice unit. With used tractors, so much depends on what condition it's in... that can be more important than what make it is, and I wouldn't be afraid of an older one in top condition. You might have to add an aftermarket loader... there are some good brands... and at least you're in snow country so you have a shot at finding a blower on Craig's, etc., which could save vs. buying new. That's a private sale it says, but maybe that dealer would work something out on a loader and blower.

/ Another first time buyer #19  
Woodman,

I agree with Grandad4 that seems to be a nice unit in good shape. A Kubota loader is likely to be spendy $3K+ and a aftermarket like Woods maybe a bit less. I would price out the proper Kubota loader as that will aid in resale down the road.

And snowblower, you can get one used likely for $1500 range for a 50" range - just get one that clears the tracks.

So you would have maybe $15-16K in this with a blower, loader and a softcab setup.

Which brings you about $10K under the 2011 Kioti I linked to last week - but it is bigger, newer, real cab, 86 hours if I recall, so if it was my $ I would spring for a newer machine with the stuff you want.

Here's another one Kioti 35 Horse Power Tractor $17999!!! - New Brunswick Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji New Brunswick Canada.

If you can find a similar size Kubota with the same setup that would be good too.

/ Another first time buyer
Thanks for all of your advice, i have lots to think about. and although i would enjoy a larger one, i still would like to mow a lawn with it.( i can use that as a bargaining tool for my wife's seal of approval.....) Not sure how big is too big for that.....