Buying Advice Another first time buyer

/ Another first time buyer #1  

woodman506

Tractor
Kubota B3030
Hello All,

I have just purchased a property with about 38 acres of land. about 5 of which is a cleared field and the remainder woodland. I would like to buy a used tractor for a few reasons.

1. to blow snow of about a 500 foot lane
2. to mow a large lawn
3. to plow & till a new garden (personal use size)
4. to some various landscaping
5. upgrade and maintain some paths/roads/trails through the wooded areas.
6. haul a wagon full of fire wood

I would like a used 4 x 4 Compact sized tractor with the ability to do all of the above mentioned.

Im thinking a cab and a front end loader with mower to start off with.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance.

k

/ Another first time buyer #2  
What dealers are close to you? And what kind of feeling do you get from these dealers?

/ Another first time buyer #3  
Welcome to TBN Woodman!

I would think Kioti, Kubota, or John Deere would be fine - something in the 28-40HP range would be a nice size with the land you have.

Heres 1 seems like a low hour nice condition machine 2011 Kioti Tractor - Moncton Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji Moncton Canada.

Heres another one
Kubota Tractor - Moncton Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji Moncton Canada.

If you are thinking smaller and new, the BX series like the BX25 with a backhoe is nice, but dont usually have a cab.

If you are getting into cabbed models, you will be in the low to mid $20s and then add the snowblower and it will be more.

Whats your budget?

/ Another first time buyer
I haven't looked into any dealers yet, but there are at least 8 of them within a 25 mile radius of me.

Thanks for the reply

I was thinking a bit smaller, older, less expensive..... Maybe 12-15 thousand dollar range?

Thanks for your expertise.

K

/ Another first time buyer #6  
It's the cab that throws a wrench into your budget plans. That's about a $6k upgrade (in US $) on new compact-type equipment, so for older, used equipment it still puts several thousand on the price. An older farm utility type might fit your budget, something like this:

Massey MF245 Diesel (correct hrs reading) - New Brunswick Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji New Brunswick Canada.

An after-market cab with heat only and no a/c, 2wd would be absolutely typical. Of course, the older and more "used" you go, there greater the odds it needs to be worked on.

/ Another first time buyer #7  
Well, Woodman for that price range you are probably best to look for models like;

John Deere 790-990 series - these are good machines 1995-2003 timeframe I think - essentially Yanmar diesels and good machines - there are other models but I am not that familiar with the older JD machines

Kubota - L2500, L2800, L3450 - these are 2000-2005 models typically - the L series is a good tough tractor and most you find will probably be gear, but some later years HST was offered. If you an get HST unit that would be a good choice, nothing wrong with gear machines, but HST is just easier in the woods and tight spaces.

You will find a better selection of the Kubota and JD machines in your price range due to their time in the market, and the parts and reliability of these are good.

If you can find a 400-800 hour unit - single owner with service records that is clean that would be my preference.

thanks for all of your input, looks like i may have to convince my wife i "need" to increase the tractor budget. There seem to be a few in the 20000 dollar price range.

thanks again

k

/ Another first time buyer #9  
i would look at a b series kubota the smallest is a b2320 23horse par you can get it in a stick or hydro tanny new they are 13-14k with fel add a mmm for 3k more i would buy a used blower for it and theres the 2620 and the 2920 as well the other poster think kubota makes only the L SERIES get seat time on a few different model to tell which one fits you i used a 21 hp to plow and till the ground it work vary well for that happy tractor shopping

/ Another first time buyer #10