Looking at John Deere 1050 and have questions

/ Looking at John Deere 1050 and have questions #1  

kyhunter

Tractor
JD 1050 2wd with FEL
I'm looking at a JD 1050 2WD with 1,100 hrs (early 80s model). It has a Bush Hog front end loader. They is an oil leak around the valve cover gasket and a rear tire that will need to be replaced at some point. Everything else seems to check out OK. I plan to use it for light bush hogging and to disc some deer food plots. It is priced at $6,500. From what I have read, JD has quit making parts for it. How does it sound? What should I be concerned about? Thanks for the input!

/ Looking at John Deere 1050 and have questions #2  
kyhunter,
Welcome to the forum:welcome:

Did you go to deere.com and look into parts online? I just checked on your tractor and parts seem to be available. I noticed that this is a wet sleeved motor and that would be a real plus imo. There are a few parts NLA for my older 820 tractor but almost everything i have needed is available so far.

/ Looking at John Deere 1050 and have questions #3  
A JD1050 is 100% made by Yanmar in Japan. John Deere still has some motor parts and whatever is left in the warehouse. I would ask why it has such low hours ?? I have 5000 hours on mine,and have only had minor repairs over the last 30 years. Still have the original rear tires. Yanmar dealers like HOYE have some motor parts,but with that low of hours,it shouldn't need much of anything. Clutch OK ? Does the pedal have about an inch of free play ?

/ Looking at John Deere 1050 and have questions #4  
I had a JD 1050 4WD version and my main complaint was that in low range Reverse was too slow and in high range reverse was too fast. Also had problems with the MFWD.

/ Looking at John Deere 1050 and have questions #5  
It is correct that Yanmar made these for JD. Some of the parts seem to interchange, many do not. I have a fairly equivalent Yanmar. Some parts now are just about impossible to find.
Otherwise a solid tractor.

/ Looking at John Deere 1050 and have questions
I believe the lot that is selling it bought it from an auction in TN. The tire looks a little dry rotted and there are some cuts on the side where it looks like it rubbed up against something. Other than the cuts on the tire, it would have been OK. I'm a little worried about the oil leak on the rocker arm cover. I talk with a mechanic on the phone and the gasket shouldn't be much to replace. From what I remember while riding it, the clutch did have play, just not sure how much.

/ Looking at John Deere 1050 and have questions #7  
I would check the PTO. If it has not been used for a long time there is a chance the PTO clutch is froze and will not release.