Buying Advice Kubota vs John Deere

/ Kubota vs John Deere #11  
If you are thinking of switching to a tractor make sure you check turning radius!

/ Kubota vs John Deere
So I visited the JD dealer today and they steered me away from the Compact Tractors and into the X728. They said I would be much happier with the ride cutting the lawn. They also said I should have no problem plowing or snow blowing (I haven't decided yet on the snowblower option) with it due to the 4wd. They did recommend rear weights though.

What does everybody think? It's quite a bit cheaper than the Kubota BX2660, but I think I with price, it is not a fair comparison.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #13  
When you compare the two, they are similar in size, while the Kubota is heavier. I am very familiar with Kubota's, but I have spent quite a bit of time scouring over an X748. To me, and I'm sure I will ruffle a feather or two, the Kubota was more tractor-like. I felt that the 748 would make an overbuilt, fantastic mower, but for farm chores, it wasn't as well suited; lots of plastic, less access to mechanicals, and the 3 point hitch on the Kubota is more usable. These are my observations, so take them for what they are. I appreciate both machines, but if I were shopping, I would lean towards the Kubota.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #14  
The X748 should do all you need. But I wouldn't be without an FEL again, they are just too handy to have around (IMHO).

/ Kubota vs John Deere #15  
I really like the John Deere mowers, but I just can't seem to get comfortable on anything without a ROPS anymore.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #16  
When you compare the two, they are similar in size, while the Kubota is heavier. I am very familiar with Kubota's, but I have spent quite a bit of time scouring over an X748. To me, and I'm sure I will ruffle a feather or two, the Kubota was more tractor-like. I felt that the 748 would make an overbuilt, fantastic mower, but for farm chores, it wasn't as well suited; lots of plastic, less access to mechanicals, and the 3 point hitch on the Kubota is more usable. These are my observations, so take them for what they are. I appreciate both machines, but if I were shopping, I would lean towards the Kubota.

Having the 749 i will agree that the kubota 2660 and Deere 1026R are both more tractor like. For mowing in this case where 75% of the time that is what needs to be done i think the riding mower is the better choice. My take is the OP wants to mow his lawn and clear the driveway while most of us who participate here are interested in a wide variety of tractor functions. Keeping the mower as light as possible with the 26 12 12 tires is going to be better for the lawn.

For the person who likes to do a wide range of tasks the scut is a good choice if all the major jobs has been done. i use my mower along with my compact tractors all the time and think that both lawnmowers and tractors have their merits and place.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #18  
Last edited:
   / Kubota vs John Deere #19  
We have many different approaches to similar circumstances. I prefer a machine that is "more tractor-like". I've been mowing and removing snow since we built our current place back in '89/'90. Mowing went from a little over 2 acres to around 5 or so and now back to a little over 3-1/2. Our driveway is nearly 100 yards long and I do another one that long plus at least three shorter ones. My theory is buy the biggest machine that can get the job done. It did take 23 years for me to get to where it seems the tractor is at the max. As someone here pointed out in another thread, it's really rare for someone to say they want fewer horsepower or less of a tractor.

The first few years were with an old International Cub 154 LoBoy. No 3PH and a very difficult switch between the 5 foot belly mower and front blade.

Next was around 10 years with a Ford 1210 HST / 5' RFM / rear blade and no FEL. This was a step in the right direction.

After looking at everything under the sun, added a B7500 HST / FEL / 5' RFM back in 2002. Really thought I'd be satisfied forever. Looked at the BX series but felt kinda cramped on them. Couldn't imagine using anything larger than that.

10 years into owning the B7500, and after many times wishing there were an extra 5 or 10 horses under the orange hood, I went on another mission to find the perfect piece of equipment. Came home with an L3200 HST / FEL / 6' RFM. I love this one a whole lot. Since I bought it early this summer it hasn't seen snow, so I'm only guessing it will do a little better than the B7500. For mowing it has been great. I can putter around in any gear range and it purrs right along. It walks right through places where the B7500 had to be put in 4WD. Mowing takes a tad over 1/2 hour per acre. The FEL is much stronger than the one on the B7500 and it moved a lot of dirt the first month it lived here. The loader is easier to remove and install that the one on the B7500, and that one wasn't difficult.

/ Kubota vs John Deere
So the final pricing from the dealers is in and I still can't decide what is the best tractor for my needs.

Kubota BX2660 with 60" deck and 60" front blade is $15200.
Deere 1026r with 60" deck and 54" front blade is $15778.
Deere x728 with 60" deck and 54" front blade is $12785.

So, over $3k more for a SCUT, but I'm sure it would hold that value more if I would want to trade or sell.