Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 777 (Currently)

Default Re: Kubota vs John Deere

My primary 2 needs are mowing and snow removal. We have 4 acres on the top of a small hill. Lawn and all landscaping is already done, so I don't see a need for a FEL. No garden so I also don't see a need for a tiller and anything else on the rear PTO. Broadcast spreader for fertilizer and salt in winter would be nice. Not a lot of trees to mow around so 4WS is not necessary, and I don't mind push mowing a little either. My biggest concern is plowing the paved driveway so 4WD I feel is a requirement. Large hill with curves for the driveway and large areas in front of my garages and a turnaround area. I'm leaning towards the x728 or x748 but for a only a little more I can get the 1026 or BX2660 and I'm very confident those would plow / snowblow with no problem ever. However, the snowblower for the SCUT is more expensive than for the x series.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

jwenzler,
    I would go with the x748 if it were me given the choices as I feel it would not have a problem with the driveway plowing or snowblowing. Having the x749 I can tell you the hdap tires are great for your uses, easy on the lawn and grip well in the snow too. Mowing my own lawn I can run full speed which is about 8.5 mph on the x749 which should be the same for the x728 and x748. Both of the mowers you list with the 7 iron 60" deck should do a good job and can be equipped with a rear hitch and pto IF you later think you need them. My concern would be that moving from a ztr to a garden tractor would you feel it is slower when mowing? Do you have any idea fow fast your ground speed is on your current mower in actual use?

In summary I think all of the models you mention will work very well for the driveway clearing, I would wan't to make sure the mowing is up to your expectations.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

I don't think you would go wrong with any of those machines. One thing I don't like about the X728 is it has a gas motor I believe. For turning a blower a diesel would do a better job. I believe a sub compact may hold it's value better over the long haul.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    I don't think you would go wrong with any of those machines. One thing I don't like about the X728 is it has a gas motor I believe. For turning a blower a diesel would do a better job. I believe a sub compact may hold it's value better over the long haul.

The x728 is a gas mower, I prefer a diesel too. For mowing at high speeds the mower deck can be quite a load too if the grass is thick so a diesel would still be my preference. You may very well be right about trading a subcompact later would have a higher resale. My concern though would be which would be the best choice for mowing coming from a ztr. While the x749 will definitely out manuever the others mentioned it seems everyone wants the 7 iron deck which isn't available with the aws models. Hard to know without a direct comparison but an x749 with a 62" deck might be a good way to go if the lawn is smooth. I am using the MC519 cart and blower with my mower now and it does a great job for me.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by jwenzler View Post
    So the final pricing from the dealers is in and I still can't decide what is the best tractor for my needs.

kubota BX2660 with 60" deck and 60" front blade is $15200.
    Deere 1026r with 60" deck and 54" front blade is $15778.
    Deere x728 with 60" deck and 54" front blade is $12785.

So, over $3k more for a SCUT, but I'm sure it would hold that value more if I would want to trade or sell.
    Why dont you price the B series Kubotas. They are not any higher priced than the BX and give better ground clearance. My son in law recently bought a 2920 with a 60" MM mower for about the same as you are pricing with the BX series. I have driven it and it handles nicely and fits in a standard garage door with ROPS up. I think it would handle a snow blade much better than the X series JD or the BX Kubotas
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 HST 4WD

I have a JD 757 that I use to mow about 10 acres in total. I also use it to mow a dam on the place that is very steep. When I used to mow it with a tractor and rotary mower I would mow it up and down for safety, but the Z-turn mows it safely across the face. I would never opt for a tractor mower over a zero turn for lawn mowing. I am a kubota and a John Deere fan, I have both. However, a single purpose machine will out perform any multi-purpose machine, de rerum natura, (the nature of things) applies to this. See if your Kubota and John Deere dealers will let you test drive the machines you are considering and then make your decision before you plunk down your money. One of my good friends has a joint dealership and he is the one that convinced me to get a zero turn. He brought one out and demonstrated it for me and let me try it out. I bought it on the spot after using it.

Elite Member
    Parts Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by jwenzler View Post
    So the final pricing from the dealers is in and I still can't decide what is the best tractor for my needs.

kubota BX2660 with 60" deck and 60" front blade is $15200.
    Deere 1026r with 60" deck and 54" front blade is $15778.
    Deere x728 with 60" deck and 54" front blade is $12785.

So, over $3k more for a SCUT, but I'm sure it would hold that value more if I would want to trade or sell.
    you are aware, that the BX2660 is the top end BX tractor. You can buy a BX1860 at the same price point as an x728 and its much more tractor with resale value thats worlds better. (there is no worse resale than a garden tractor)

Tractor

I have a BX2360. It has plenty of power for mowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    Why dont you price the B series Kubotas. They are not any higher priced than the BX and give better ground clearance. My son in law recently bought a 2920 with a 60" MM mower for about the same as you are pricing with the BX series. I have driven it and it handles nicely and fits in a standard garage door with ROPS up. I think it would handle a snow blade much better than the X series JD or the BX Kubotas
    He is also getting a front blade for that price.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by MessickFarmEqu View Post
    you are aware, that the BX2660 is the top end BX tractor. You can buy a BX1860 at the same price point as an x728 and its much more tractor with resale value thats worlds better. (there is no worse resale than a garden tractor)
    I agree. If he wants a Subcompact with FEL, the 1860 will do everything he needs now, and in the future.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    I agree. If he wants a Subcompact with FEL, the 1860 will do everything he needs now, and in the future.
    It will but the 2360 is worth the upgrade. More PTO power, larger tires, and a larger front axle. It probably would turn a blower a hair blower better. You can also get a 60'' deck on the 2360, 54" is the largest for the 1860.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast