Buying Advice Kubota vs John Deere

/ Kubota vs John Deere #1  

jwenzler

Tractor
JD 777 (Currently)
First time tractor buyer, but I really think it's what I need now. I currently have a JD 777 Zero Turn mower with a 60" deck to mow my 4 acres and a very old Polaris ATV to plow my 500' paved driveway.

The ATV has officially died and it just seems to be wasteful to have the John Deere mower sitting in the garage all winter. So, I've talked to quite a few people in the area and think a small compact or large garden tractor is the way to go. I have both a local Kubota and a local John Deere dealer within 20 minutes. I don't really have a need for the FEL, at least that I can think of.

My question is, what should I be looking at? I stopped at the Kubota dealer today and they quoted me a BX2660 with a 60" deck and a front blade. I'm going to the John Deere dealer tomorrow, but I'm not sure what line to even look at (the X500 series, X700 series, 1026r, etc).

Any help is much appreciated.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #2  
Really depends on what you wan't to do, if all you need it to push the drive and mow i recommend the x700 series. These seem to work well with front mount blades and snowblowers and are great mowers if you think you want a fel then you might be better off with a subcompact tractor. i really like my x749 and it is a great mower imo.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #3  
:welcome: Go with a Simplicity Conquest with the snow blower attachment,wheel weights and chains.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #4  
There are Deer vs Kubota comparison videos made by both companies. I watched both a while back and for the most part they were nit picking. Both companies make good tractors. It may come down to which dealer you like better or who will give you the best deal.

I have a 2nd hand BX2200 with FEL that I find very useful. That makes me a bit biased. It is about 10 years old and still worth about 2/3 of new price. That says something about the machine.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #5  
Pretty much what jenkensph said, we like our BX2660, but use a FEL, rotary cutter, tiller and box scraper. We bought a John Deere 2305 for mowing as it has a ROPS and we have lots of steep stuff to mow on a different farm. As far as quality both are good.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #6  
I agree that both make great tractors, but I will never give up my zero turn mowers for a garden tractor or sub compact for doing the mowing. I mow 5 acres with trees, buildings, etc. and the zero turn is the only way to go.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #7  
Our renters tried zero turn mowers for a couple of years and got rid of them because of the hills; worked great on flat land or inclines if they weren't too bad.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #8  
If your zero turn works well for you keep it. unless of course you want to spend twice as much the time mowing your lawn. If you want to spend the extra time outside away from your wife sell it. Things that do a lot of things generally only do a few things well and others just okay. Its like putting a backhoe on a tractor yes they work good but in a lot of ways a small excavator could blow the tractor away digging a larger hole or trench which would require a lot of repositioning of the tractor . As far as kubota or jd they are both excellent tractors. Just find one with features you like and that fits you

Dave

/ Kubota vs John Deere #9  
Both are good machines. I'd buy on dealer, price and on ergonomics (controls are laid out differently). I did the same and ended up with a kubota... though I also have an old JD. I would strongly suggest considering a FEL. Its amazing what uses you find for it and it can help with snow if you have big banks etc. I actually plow with a rear-blade and a FEL. FELs are tough to get after market and it may make it tough to sell later without one. They all come off easily and don't take a ton of space to store.

/ Kubota vs John Deere #10  
I would like to add to what tractchores said.

You do not have to keep the FEL on the tractor if you prefer to have it off when mowing or whatever. The BX loader can be attached or detached in a few short minutes. I would expect the same of the JD but do not personally know.