Worth doing? Case D45 AND Ford/New Holland 555e backhoe for a NH Powerstar 4.75

/ Worth doing? Case D45 AND Ford/New Holland 555e backhoe for a NH Powerstar 4.75 #1  

George Mason

Tractor
Case IH D45 Farm tractor & Ford NH 555E Backhoe
What an awesome site, been looking at it for years and registered a few months ago when a big questions came up for me regarding my equipment. I will explain and hope to get some of the great insight that I've seen you all post with other's questions and/or concerns.

The basic - I am trying to consider a number of variables and decide whether or not to trade my Case D45 AND Ford/New Holland 555e backhoe for a New Holland Powerstar 4.75

I bought my Case D45 (45hp) back in 2005 to take care of the long rural driveways that I live on and that surround me. It has always done nice job. In Dec. 2011 I purchased my grandfather's Ford/New Holland 555e backhoe, he and my grandmother raised me and I had always had use of his equipment and had been using this piece all the time as we cleared land and built our home, and later underwent a major fill dirt project to provide for more flat area. He passed away in Nov. 2011, (ironically on the backhoe, a massive heart attack), and I was still receiving upwards of twenty or thirty loads of fill a day and needed the big HP the backhoe offered not to mention the a rubber tire backhoe is about the most practical piece of equipment out there.

Moving forward, I'm done with pushing the fill dirt and most of my lot is the way I want it with drainage and such and I'm finding little use for the backhoe and some small nickel and dime issues are arising with more to surely come. I use the Case for road and ditch maintenance but it is somewhat undersized so far as the transmission goes with steep long drives giving it a run for its money. When grading the drive recently from all the trucks that had obliterated my driveway bringing in that fill, the transmission was often running hot and I could smell it. This was doing nothing more than working the gravel/dirt with the blade in low 1 and 2. I wish it could go faster and I certainly don't want it running hot or taking a toll on the engine or transmission. I also plow snow, but that's a coin toss as to whether or not we get enough to get out and get after it but when we do I freeze as the temperature goes and productivity can be an issue when I compare my D45 to the NH Powerstar 4.75 which would certainly allow me to move faster and stay warmer.

I have a good offer from the New Holland dealer; a few thousand more than I paid for the 555e and an excellent trade value for my Case equal about $6,500 difference for a new Powerstar 4.75.

My big issue with this is that I have a hard time trading two for one.

My big issue with keeping the two are one (D45) is slightly underpowered and will likely need addressing over time due to this and I could possibly make more money with the larger tractor doing driveway maintenance and snow removal - and a cab. The 555e has pretty much seen it's use expire as I've complete the major fill project and lot clearing/construction that I had to have it for and it's got 2,400 hours on it so small fixes are sure to happen and sure to add up.

I'd appreciate any advice on this matter, my grandfather is no longer here so I'm limited on who I can go to with this. I think the backhoe has to go no matter what, sale or trade, and the tractor is a coin toss. I'll be interested to see what you all have to say, thank you.

/ Worth doing? Case D45 AND Ford/New Holland 555e backhoe for a NH Powerstar 4.75 #2  
ii say trade the case45 in and keep the backhoe they come in handy and sure you have alot on hours watching and being on the hoes with your pap i been there to i spent countless hours on the hoes and cat with my pap the money you ll get for trade in is nothing im sure the hoes means more then that to you good luck chuck

/ Worth doing? Case D45 AND Ford/New Holland 555e backhoe for a NH Powerstar 4.75 #3  
Did you make a decision on this yet?

I have a similar sized tractor and backhoe and have often thought about the same thing. I think the two together are a pretty convenient setup to have for when you do need a backhoe, however, if you really don't think that you will use the backhoe much more, then I think it's a nobrainer to trade them both in for one machine that will last you a long time. Also, think about the manueverability of the smaller tractor, if you can do without that then go for the 4.75.

/ Worth doing? Case D45 AND Ford/New Holland 555e backhoe for a NH Powerstar 4.75
No, I have not moved on it yet. One thing that helped was that the New Holland dealer went up $1,000 from back in early Dec. when we started thinking about this trade, he said their incentives changed or something but it went from $6,500 to $7,500. Since then we talked attachments too, which again did not help the cause since there was not much market for the 6' Woods HD blade I have, the tooth bar and chains I have for the Case, and nothing at all for the HD fork system and two extra buckets for the backhoe so that wasn't sitting well with me to loose all that. I think the better part of me has decided that I can't get rid of TWO good machines for one really nice new one with some luxury in the fact that is has a cab. Certainly you are right the TWO machines together with their unique and separate abilities to dig, push, trim, and grade are a heck of a combination. Given all that I think we'll hold tight for now and see if warmer weather brings about a better deal so I am undecided in the long run and wouldn't be surprised if I don't do it at some point. Plus, I see myself sitting in that cab with my boy in the buddy seat (as opposed to the way I came up riding around with my Pop, which wasn't bad but I'll take the buddy seat being it's there).

Out to work on the driveway, things are nice and soft here with that 3" we got the other day having melted. Be safe up there MA, that 3 is going to be 3' for you all the way it's being portrayed by the news - that calls for some loader work.

/ Worth doing? Case D45 AND Ford/New Holland 555e backhoe for a NH Powerstar 4.75 #5  
George, anytime you trade in a tractor, you'll get wholesale price for it and pay retail for the new tractor. You can sometimes negotiate a fair deal, but the dealer has to sell your old machine for a profit, so he will always make money on the new sale and the used sale too. It's not a bad thing, just reality. However, if you trade it two tractors, that doubles your liability of not getting full value. If you are not in a bind for the new tractor, then I'd sure consider selling your two tractors on the open market to see if you could come out ahead. Price them based on what you've been offered and the price of the new tractor, but do your research to see what the market is asking for similar models. I think I'd try craigslist and maybe even local classified adds. Even if you don't sell both, you may get more for one of them and be better off. It's worth a try if you have the time and patience to deal with prospective buyers. If you can't sell them, then you'll at least know you tried. Good luck!:)