Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #21  
I think he will find a L4240 is more usable with the dual speed hydro. You can do just about anything in medium range.

I like all aspects of the HST+, but use the dual speed switch more than any of them.

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #23  
I think the 4240 would be fantastic for grapple work (with the proper ballast).

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work
I think the 4240 would be fantastic for grapple work (with the proper ballast).

I have the rear tires filled and a 600lb box blade that I have been using for ballast on the MX. Will that be sufficient for the 4240?

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #25  
I have the rear tires filled and a 600lb box blade that I have been using for ballast on the MX. Will that be sufficient for the 4240?

It would be sufficient in most cases.

I have rear tires filled with methanol and a 550lb scraper blade.

It would be sufficient in most cases.

I have rear tires filled with methanol and a 550lb scraper blade.

I think what I have is pretty close to that. From looking at the specs I don't think there is enough size and weight difference between the MX and the 4240 for me to notice. I think the MX is a little more than 100 lbs or so heavier but I suspect that a lot of that is in the front axle. I am guessing the FEL and grapple performance should be nearly the same.

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #27  
I think what I have is pretty close to that. From looking at the specs I don't think there is enough size and weight difference between the MX and the 4240 for me to notice. I think the MX is a little more than 100 lbs or so heavier but I suspect that a lot of that is in the front axle. I am guessing the FEL and grapple performance should be nearly the same.

I think the overall performance of the tractors will be about the same (maybe a hair better on the 4240 because of HST+) unless it is something that requires the extra PTO power. I would gladly trade 8hp for the dual speed hydro.

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #28  
I think the overall performance of the tractors will be about the same (maybe a hair better on the 4240 because of HST+) unless it is something that requires the extra PTO power. I would gladly trade 8hp for the dual speed hydro.

+1. :thumbsup:

I would gladly trade 8hp for the dual speed hydro.

Giving up the 8 hp has been my only concern about trading he MX for the 4240, but I really don't think I will miss it since the only PTO work I plan to do is using a 6ft bush hog.

I did try out all of the HST+ features on the 4240 while test driving around the dealers lot. i liked them and thought they were cool and all, but didn't really think they would be that beneficial. However, after spending some time on the MX HST, I can now see where those additional features would actually be used, especially the extra High Low within each range and the ability to easily shift between them on the fly.

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #30  
Giving up the 8 hp has been my only concern about trading he MX for the 4240, but I really don't think I will miss it since the only PTO work I plan to do is using a 6ft bush hog.

I did try out all of the HST+ features on the 4240 while test driving around the dealers lot. i liked them and thought they were cool and all, but didn't really think they would be that beneficial. However, after spending some time on the MX HST, I can now see where those additional features would actually be used, especially the extra High Low within each range and the ability to easily shift between them on the fly.

You should be fine with a 6ft brush hog on a 4240.