Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #1  

3boys865

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HST
I just recently went through the buying decision process and purchased a new MX5100 HST along with a root grapple for clearing brush and handling trees for firewood processing. I also needed the tractor to maintain a 1000 ft gravel driveway with a box blade. I quickly discovered that my MX5100 has the jerky 3pt hitch when trying to raise the box blade up slowly. This makes it nearly impossible to feather up the box blade when grading and smoothing. However, the tractor has been great working with the grapple.

My dealer has tried to fix the problem, without success, but has offered to let me return the MX5100 and purchase another model. While going through the buying process, I really liked the Grand L 4240 with the HST+, but was concerned that I would need the extra HP and size of the MX5100 for the grapple work I wanted to do.

I am looking for input from current owners of a L4240 or similar model with the LA854 loader that use a root grapple for brush clearing / handling etc... The grapple I own is approx 600lbs and works well on the MX5100. My only concern with replacing the MX5100 with the L4240 is the loss of 8 HP and what if any affect that would have on using the root grapple.

I think the L4240 is slightly lighter than the MX5100, but not by much. The front tires and axle on the MX are larger and stronger also.

Any feedback or input on the L4240 and it's capabilities with using the root grapple would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #2  
Offhand 94BULLITT is the only 4240 owner I can think of; 4shorts owned one but got a 5740. I own a L5740 and really like it, but that doesn't help you with your situation.

overszd used a grapple with his L4400, so he might have an idea.

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #3  
I would stick with the 5100 its has a few extra ponies and its heavier if you want heavier then a 5100 step up to the 5140 or the 5640su they have the 1153 fel as your 5100 844 i think the 1153 fel will handle a grapple i own 7040 with that fel the only problen i have is with forks trying to lift wet road salt other then that it does fine i think a 5640su is around 26k good luck

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #4  
There are lots of MX owners that have visited TBN over the years who have given their tractors high marks so maybe it's just some rare bum luck for you to have a malfunctioning 3 point. It certainly shouldn't do that. I just wanted to offer a couple of thoughts based on several years using an older Grand L series tractor that resembles the current MX lineup in many ways.

I think the L4240 and up are so close in size and weight to your MX that there would likely be little to no difference in how they operate a grapple. The dimensions and weight are almost the same (the 4240 is 100 lbs lighter), they have the same hydraulic flow, the FEL's are virtually the same even though they are numbered differently, etc. The Grand L's have the new HST+, which is a nice advance, and, probably most importantly for you, a very different hydraulic setup for the 3 point, using dual external cylinders like much larger ag equipment. While it's actually the L5240 that matches up most nearly to your MX5100 since they both have the same V2403 turbo engine, I doubt you would find any of the L4240 and up Grand L models lacking for your applications.

So if your dealer will make it good on an exchange, I think you should try one out and see if it works better for you.

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #5  
The Grand L is a more deluxe tractor than MX5100. If think you will really like the HST+, I have never heard anyone say they don't like it. The auto throttle advance is also really nice. I don't have a grapple but I would like to have one. I have plenty of power for using the bucket. I amazed that some dirt piles I can push completely through them. I don't think a grapple is the type of thing you really need horsepower you just want all the lift capacity you get. Do you have anything that requires the extra power of the MX5100. I have not found the L4240 under powered for what I do with it.

I think the L4240 and up are so close in size and weight to your MX that there would likely be little to no difference in how they operate a grapple. The dimensions and weight are almost the same (the 4240 is 100 lbs lighter), they have the same hydraulic flow, the FEL's are virtually the same even though they are numbered differently, etc. The Grand L's have the new HST+, which is a nice advance, and, probably most importantly for you, a very different hydraulic setup for the 3 point, using dual external cylinders like much larger ag equipment. While it's actually the L5240 that matches up most nearly to your MX5100 since they both have the same V2403 turbo engine, I doubt you would find any of the L4240 and up Grand L models lacking for your applications.

So if your dealer will make it good on an exchange, I think you should try one out and see if it works better for you.

I agree. The L4240 will also lift a little more on the 3PH.

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #6  
The 4240 has slightly more lifting power in the loader but not enough to notice so the only real difference would be the front tires. I notice the front tires (ag) do tend to squat a bit when I have a very large load in the front bucket. If you go with the industrial tires I doubt you would even notice. I maintain about 3/4 of a mile with my 4240 and traction is my only issue. On some of the steeper hills the gravel can get loose after working it a bit while trying to drag it back up the hill. The only place you're going to notice the HP would be if you plan on using a PTO attachment that requires more than 35hp. While the 5100 looks like a nice tractor the GL line is the top of the line. If your dealer will work with you I would not hesitate switching to the 4240.

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work #9  
I do own a L4240 HSTC,don't have a full grapple but a thumb and tooth-bar on the HD bucket.Works well for me but your 600# grapple would limit your lifting a bit.As far as power;shouldn't be a problem with the HST+ and auto throttle.
Ballast correctly and go to work.

/ Grand L 4240 for Grapple Work
The 4240 has slightly more lifting power in the loader but not enough to notice so the only real difference would be the front tires. I notice the front tires (ag) do tend to squat a bit when I have a very large load in the front bucket. If you go with the industrial tires I doubt you would even notice. I maintain about 3/4 of a mile with my 4240 and traction is my only issue. On some of the steeper hills the gravel can get loose after working it a bit while trying to drag it back up the hill. The only place you're going to notice the HP would be if you plan on using a PTO attachment that requires more than 35hp. While the 5100 looks like a nice tractor the GL line is the top of the line. If your dealer will work with you I would not hesitate switching to the 4240.

I have R4's on the MX5100 and the front tires and axle are pretty stout (12-16.5), but according to Kubota.com I think the R4's on the 4240 (10-16.5) are the same diameter, just not as wide. I don't need to lift round bales or 1 ton pallets, just piles of brush, firewood and saw logs. I almost bought the 4240, but opted for the MX5100 for the price and 8 additional HP. The MX5100 is a great tractor, but with the jerky hitch, it is very frustrating trying to smooth out a gravel driveway. Constantly fighting with the 3pt lever to get the right height and feather up. I could probably live with it, but I know its not right. Shouldn't have to deal with it on a brand new tractor.

I don't have any real PTO needs other than a 6ft bush hog on occasion and possibly a tiller for the garden in the future, so I think the 35 PTO on the 4240 should be plenty. My only concern on moving down in HP to the 4240 is how that would affect my pushing power when going into a pile of brush. I'm thinking it wouldn't be much different than the MX5100.