Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact

/ Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact #1  

sehoonkim7

Tractor
cs2410
Hello to everyone.
TBN is very useful and helpful to research the any tractor information. Appreciate it.
I'd like to just ask one thing to everyone here.

As for sub-compact, What do you think about the mechnical sub-compact, not HST?
There are only a few of mechanical sub-compact in U.S, most of the sub-compacts have HST.
But, The mech. Sub-compact could be more powerful to care of garden or land, I guess.

Please give me any opinion for the agenda. Please..Thanks.

/ Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact #2  
Welcome to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons forum.

/ Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact #3  
I'll chime in. I have a gear tractor, and have never wanted to switch to an HST. I like the amount of power it sends to the ground. I also use the tractor in the woods, and like the fact that my tractor does not have a transmission cooler and flimsy fan to be broken by twigs I run over there, as happened to my neighbor. If those features were moved to a more protected part of the tractor I might change my mind.

/ Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact #4  
I don't think you can get a new subcompact without HST. I have no problem with 'power to the ground' with my subcompact. It works great.

/ Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact #5  
The advantage with HST is you have anything from full speed ahead to a dead stop. With a gear tractor you may have a on gear that is too fast for a given task and one gear that is too slow so can match the speed like you can with a hydro.

/ Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact #6  
One big down fall to the gear drive in a small tractor, is that most of the small ones I know of, lack live PTO.

/ Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact #7  
Interesting question. Modern subcompacts typically use a small 3 cylinder diesel that provides an excess of power, so putting more power to the ground is not an issue, and any power loss from the HST is irrelevant vs. its greater convenience. So I would doubt there is much market for a gear drive BX-type unit. Maybe some buyers would like a de-powered (2 cyl gas vs. 3 cyl diesel, for example), gear drive subcut that is 50% cheaper, but there were products basically similar to that available in the 1950's and '60's, and they did largely not survive in the market.

/ Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact #8  
Hello to everyone.
TBN is very useful and helpful to research the any tractor information. Appreciate it.
I'd like to just ask one thing to everyone here.

As for sub-compact, What do you think about the mechnical sub-compact, not HST?
There are only a few of mechanical sub-compact in U.S, most of the sub-compacts have HST.
But, The mech. Sub-compact could be more powerful to care of garden or land, I guess.

Please give me any opinion for the agenda. Please..Thanks.[/QUO

I suspect you would find that the market for a subcompact gear tractor to be very limited in the USA. Most people including myself prefer the quick and effortless direction and speed changes of the hst transmissions. Usually when the major manufacturers make these changes eliminating the gear transmission it is with a good reason. Hard to sell.

/ Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact #9  
When backing up & maneuvering it's nice not to have to stomp a clutch pedal with the body twisted to see where you're going in close quarters or when parking. My third & largest machine is a gear drive & I may never be comfortable with it. IMO, HST makes plowing without draft control a lot easier too, with less stalling or digging into soft ground.

Clutch wear can sneak up on you with intermittent use, and adjustments needed might come too late to save unnecessary wear & tear. Changing fluids & filters on schedule seems less work that constantly lubing more linkages... Just MHO but I gave up stirring gears in cars & trucks 40 yrs ago for automatics....

/ Hello. As for mechnical Subcompact
Thanks for everyone to reply my question.
All comments will be very helpful for me to develop the new item.
Among the 12 respondants, about 70% said they prefer HST sub-compact, 30% Gear type.
Plus, all of respondants said the size of gear type sub-compact market would be small.
Otherwise, there are increase of demand in asian countries like thailand and india for gear type sub-compact.
Anyhow, I appreciate again for everyone to reply.