Buying Advice Tractor tiller

/ Tractor tiller #1  

jjradtech

Tractor
john deere 790
I am interested in buying a tiller for my tractor. I have a 2002 JD 790, 30hp 4wd, tractor.
Will this tractor handle a 5' tiller and what brand and any specs should I look for?
thanks -jerry

/ Tractor tiller #2  
I'm looking for one myself for my JD 855 mfwd fel 24 hp I'm thinking it should be able to pull a 5' tiller ?

/ Tractor tiller #3  
I had a 23hp (19 pto) Kubota and it ran a 5' tiller just fine. although the soil was sandy. It's since been used in small areas in clay & gravel soil and reports I get says it's done fine.

/ Tractor tiller #4  
i pulled a 5 foot tiller with 21hp case ih it did just fine but i plowed it 1st so you might want to go slow for the first pass or two i say dont buy the cheapest tiller out there

/ Tractor tiller #5  
I am interested in buying a tiller for my tractor. I have a 2002 JD 790, 30hp 4wd, tractor.
Will this tractor handle a 5' tiller and what brand and any specs should I look for?
thanks -jerry

I have a friend that has a 790 and has a 5' King Kutter tiller, and works just fine.. For what its worth, my 2520 runs my 5' KK tiller just fine too! The KK tillers are the best bang for the buck IMO!!

/ Tractor tiller #6  
I use a tiller frequently in my business and find that 6 tine/rotor tillers need about 7 pto hp/ft of width to get maximum ground speeds in typical soils. I should say this is for the smaller tillers cat 1 size, the larger rotor diameter tillers will need alot more hp to maximize their benefits. You can operate a small tiller with 3 pto hp/ft but your ground speed will be pitifully slow.

/ Tractor tiller #7  
thanks -jerry

You should be able to handle a 5-ft tiller no problem. You might want to invest in a middle buster plow to break up dry, hard soil first before hitting it with the tiller.

/ Tractor tiller #8  
You should be able to handle a 5-ft tiller no problem. You might want to invest in a middle buster plow to break up dry, hard soil first before hitting it with the tiller.

I'll second the middlebuster. For a small investment, you can break up the soil so the tiller has a much easier job breaking up what the middlebuster leaves. It also works like a minesweeper, locating all sorts of buried "treasure" before you hit it with the tiller.

/ Tractor tiller #10  
My BIL has been using a 6 foot King Kutter for years behind his JD 790. I Watched him use it on ground that hadn't been worked for well over 20 years.

My Bush Hog will till deeper than his though.