Need input on a Farmall 4366

/ Need input on a Farmall 4366 #1  
Tractor
a twaktur
Howdy guys,

Haven't been on here in quite a while. I'm looking at buying a Farmall 4366 which is not a small machine at all. Right now it isn't running, which adds to the complexity of hauling such a beast.

This tractor is complete and has a 3 point hitch. All 8 tires hold air.

If I could get it running, after having it hauled, it would sure be a great buy.

Right now, I have no idea what all it'll need, as far as parts.

Does anyone on here own or ever used one or even another IH tractor of similar size? If the engine is junk, then I know where I can find a replacement engine real cheap.

I'm already getting some estimates to have it hauled.

/ Need input on a Farmall 4366 #2  
My nephew got a used one last spring. The person he bought it from rebuilds tractors from Junkers. The engine, for example, came from a 1480 combine I believe. Anyway he said it was a combine engine and a 1480 is about the right vintage. It did well for him this season. It had some small problems like a leaking steer cylinder that had to be rebuilt but there will always be problems with an older tractor. They think they got a good deal - all the major stuff works okay but remember it was put together by a guy who specializes in making working machines out of junk so who knows how many junkers he used for parts to make one decent worker. I never got to drive it. I got to use their older 2wd tractors - you know, the ones that you can use odd gears in this one but not evens, or the TA is out on that one, and on it goes. His mom, my sister, gets the only new (3 year old) tractor they have.

/ Need input on a Farmall 4366 #3  
I am not sure but i think that those used the dt466 engine.the dt466 was also a common truck engine so any heavy truck salvage place should have running take out motors for a couple thousand dollars.we had a 1566 that with a bad motor the we put a used dt466 truck engine in.

/ Need input on a Farmall 4366 #4  
It does use the DT466 but don't you need to swap the fuel injection system? Like my combine has a DT466 but a 2 position throttle because it needs to run as close to rated rpm as possible. The truck FI will be variable. Not sure, but just guessing. We had excellent luck with the DT466 when I worked for Case IH but that was at the time we switched to the 8.3 Cummins which turned out to be a disaster introduction on the combines.

/ Need input on a Farmall 4366 #5  
Make sure it has the hydraulic pump. I've got one but its sitting waiting for its rare hydraulic pump.

/ Need input on a Farmall 4366 #6  
For their era they're quite a reasonable tractor - basic, rugged, reliable & the gearbox is fairly robust.

The downsides are:
- The DT466 is not the most fuel efficient engine
- A 200hp 4WD tractor is not going to have a history of light duty
- At 35+ years old there's bound to be a lot of wear, tear & possible abuse
- Buying a non-running machine you'll have no indication of the condition of the axles/driveline/hydraulics/steering/articuation joint which are all big $ items
- Sitting around stationary for any length of time wouldn't have aided its preservation/durabilty of components

There are some great buys in sound running older tractors of 150hp+ so weigh up the cost of restoration carefully & consider a set of new tyres may cost more than you pay for the machine - I still run a lot of large older s/h gear with good success/economic's but you need to have a specific/suitable purpose in mind & compatable implements

/ Need input on a Farmall 4366 #7  
Depending on condition there are far worse tractors to buy of the era and size . Better engine than a deere and better trans than a white case , Wonderfully simple and fixable ... Depends what you pay for it ?