Trade in value

/ Trade in value #1  

safe2assume

Tractor
Kubota L2500DT
I've been using TBN since I got my tractor in 2000. I never wanted to post anything before so I didnt sign up, but I now have some info that may be useful for anyone wondering how much their old tractor is worth. I recently went to my Kubota dealer for filters and fluids for the 400 hr maint. and ended up looking at new tractors. I out grew mine shortly after I bought it, but I get by. Without even looking at my L2500DT (13 yrs old, 372 hrs, tires have dry rot, paint is faded, original battery!) they offered me $5000 towards a new one! If the dealer was willing to give me that much, I wonder how much it's worth in a private sale? It was very difficult to walk to the parts counter after looking at the new ones, but I cant justify spending $20K for what really just boils down to having a little more horsepower. Thank you all for the helpful info you provide, I refer to this sight often!

I could use some advise on tire replacement though.

CP (49 yr old female)

/ Trade in value #2  
hmmm. $5000 + credit for what ever the sales tax is there (that's how it works for trades here anyway) + the cost of new rubber and a battery might make the nice new pretty one that much more tempting! Talk him up on the trade and down on the price of a new one and get a tractor that will meet your needs with a warranty.

/ Trade in value #3  
:welcome:

/ Trade in value
No tax because I have a farm exemption. I really like the M series, and oh the stuff I could move with a BIG bucket lol.

/ Trade in value #6  
Your L2500DT looks like the model that came after my 1981 L275DT, and the description is about the same. Mine had a loader, was in 10 out of 10 shape and had 2200 hrs. I got $5,000 trade in on my DK35 and Kubota offered $6,500(I think) on an L3540. I likely would have got $6,500 to $7,000 on a private sale. But as kiotiken mentions, the $5,000 trade is equivalent to $5,600 considering the 12% tax here.

I prefer to take less with the dealer and not have to worry about the tractor perhaps failing after a private sale with resulting hard feelings.

The low hours on your tractor suggest your usage is similar to mine. That is, varied small jobs rather than real farm work. If that is the case I suggest you consider going with an HST if you do buy a new tractor. They are easier to operate and I think safer for the work I do.

I felt guilty trading in my perfectly fine gear tractor but that is completely gone now. I averaged 70 hrs/year over the 6 years I had it. With the DK35 HST I will be around 500 hrs when it hits 2 years this April. The increased usage is due to the better manouverability, stability and capability of the new tractor. I could not have imagined how much easier the new tractor would be over the old one.

A major concern when buying the new tractor was that theoretically the old L275DT had a tighter turn radius than the DK35. That is important for my work in the bush and on narrow, winding, hilly trails. But that is for locked wheel turns and meaningless for my use. The DK35 (and Kubota L3x40's) front wheels turn much sharper, resulting in far tighter actual turns.

I'm getting on in age. The ease of operating the new tractor will help me remain on an acreage longer than the old tractor, and that is a pleasant surprise.

Good luck in your search.

/ Trade in value #7  
For what it's worth...
IMHO...
That was a fair offer...
If you trade they will price it at around 7K and take $6500 or $6000...
Dealers have to make money to stay in business...
You could possibly get more for it but it is a hassle...
Posting on Craig's List, putting up with tire kickers, people coming to look with no money,...
It can be aggravating...
That is the plus of trading with a dealer...
Personally, I would probably be inclined to keep it...
I always calculate the value of a tractor at the cost to replace it...
Tires and maintenance are part of the equation but that is true for any piece of machinery...
Some people don't agree with this philosophy and prefer to trade up...
For example, we have 2 D-17 Allis Chalmers tractors on the farm that are not in use...
One is a series 3, the other a series 4...
If I spent $5K on restoring them each, which BTW they do not need, I would have spent more than what they are worth on the market...
But...
What is the cost to replace a 60 HP farm tractor???
More than $5K...
Much more...
So...
IMHO I would prefer to spend the $5K to get them back up in great condition...
Others would not...
That is fine by me...
To each his own...

/ Trade in value #8  
For what it's worth...
IMHO...
That was a fair offer...
If you trade they will price it at around 7K and take $6500 or $6000...
Dealers have to make money to stay in business...
You could possibly get more for it but it is a hassle...
Posting on Craig's List, putting up with tire kickers, people coming to look with no money,...
It can be aggravating...
That is the plus of trading with a dealer...
Personally, I would probably be inclined to keep it...
I always calculate the value of a tractor at the cost to replace it...
Tires and maintenance are part of the equation but that is true for any piece of machinery...
Some people don't agree with this philosophy and prefer to trade up...
For example, we have 2 D-17 Allis Chalmers tractors on the farm that are not in use...
One is a series 3, the other a series 4...
If I spent $5K on restoring them each, which BTW they do not need, I would have spent more than what they are worth on the market...
But...
What is the cost to replace a 60 HP farm tractor???
More than $5K...
Much more...
So...
IMHO I would prefer to spend the $5K to get them back up in great condition...
Others would not...
That is fine by me...
To each his own...

I agree with you, except in this case, she's saying the current tractor is undersized. Maybe it is worth considering since tires are not going to be cheap and trading up in the future will likely be more expensive with Tier IV looming.

/ Trade in value #9  
I had a Kubota L 2800 with a loader, backhoe, LP 5' finishing mower, that I was planning on trading in on my MX5100. My dealer friend suggested that I sell it outright and he hooked me up with a customer. I sold it for a little less than 1/2 of what I paid for it in August of 2011. It was in excellent shape and looked great and had a little less than 1600 hours on it. It saved me about $3,000 and it was a no hassle transaction. This was just a single incidence deal, but it worked out great for me.

/ Trade in value
The more I think about it, the less I think buying new is the way to go (for me). I'm gonna keep my eye out for an L or M series with lowish hours, I do want to stick with Kubota. My tires are living on borrowed time, so either way I'm going to have to spend a chunk of change.