Steel Prices, Transportation & a Soft US $ to....

/ Steel Prices, Transportation & a Soft US $ to.... #1  

HayDR

Veteran Member, Approved Advertiser
Tractor
JD 2040,2240, 2355, 2755, 4055
drive prices up 5-15% for import items. The domestic MFG's have already increased prices 1-5% for summer orders. I was shocked to see a 17% increase on some of next season's hay tools prices coming out of Europe. I think it will be less than that first test price the MFG's are floating out there. The ASIAN markets have not been as quick to increase but the US $ is stronger there. If I was in the market for a Jap. or Korean CUT I'd pull the trigger. The Indian MFG like Mahindra will increase prices soon so there again pull the trigger if you're looking a an Indian Utility tractor. This is totally my opinion but often the wholesalers and importers get this information first before the retail public.

/ Steel Prices, Transportation & a Soft US $ to.... #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The domestic MFG's have already increased prices 1-5% for summer orders. )</font>
I wonder if this is why I am getting higher quotes on NH tractors than what most of the guys here have paid?
This begs the question...Do I wait until fall? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Steel Prices, Transportation & a Soft US $ to.... #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I wait until fall? )</font>
If you can wait until after farming season but BEFORE snowmoving season, things are pretty dead at most dealerships. Rental returns are in greater numbers, service is down, and people's minds are on the holiday season. I shopped in October and waited to purchase until Thanksgiving. I got a deal I have yet to see rivalled. I got my mower and aerator (two spring tools) REALLY cheap - most places in the north don't mow past late October/early November GENERALLY.
Mark

/ Steel Prices, Transportation & a Soft US $ to.... #4  
<font color="blue"> Do I wait until fall? </font>

The other side of the coin is that if you wait, you pretty much lose the season. So in effect, you buy in advance, for later use, except for snow removal...

I guess what I am trying to say is if you don't expect to use the tractor much in winter then you have to account for the money you pay for it being tied up, and not gaining interest, untill you start using it next spring.

Myself...I guess if the price was not THAT different, I would rather be using the tractor now, rather than later.

So...with the zero percent financing, I bit the bullet and bought a BX2200 Kubota. This is a second tractor, but could just as easily be a first one. If I would have waited to save $400 or so on the price [demand is real high right now] I would likely have spent more than that amount of savings on the finacing. In reality I would have either paid cash or not bought it...got a thing about paying interest on loans...

In the end you have to look at the costs and see what works for you...