Buying Advice Best tractor, sub compact, etc. to landscape two ten acre properties

/ Best tractor, sub compact, etc. to landscape two ten acre properties
Thanks to all. I am overwhelmed by the great response, information and the time everyone spent to answer this. I ruled out a sub compact for sure based on the info provided in this forum. I never heard of LS and would be surprised if they have them here but I will check it out.

One more question: Do new tractor dealers bargain like new car dealers do. That is, should I expect some haggling/ horse trading or is it more of a fixed price thing? There is a lack of dealer competition around here.

/ Best tractor, sub compact, etc. to landscape two ten acre properties #12  
Find what tractor you like the best. Then go price shopping at atleast 3 dealers. Some dealer will cut a good deal others won't. Depending on the brand you may save 15% off retail.

/ Best tractor, sub compact, etc. to landscape two ten acre properties #13  
Thanks to all. I am overwhelmed by the great response, information and the time everyone spent to answer this. I ruled out a sub compact for sure based on the info provided in this forum. I never heard of LS and would be surprised if they have them here but I will check it out.

One more question: Do new tractor dealers bargain like new car dealers do. That is, should I expect some haggling/ horse trading or is it more of a fixed price thing? There is a lack of dealer competition around here.

They usually haggle a little bit....either on the price, or throw in additional items like extra remotes, or an implement, etc.

/ Best tractor, sub compact, etc. to landscape two ten acre properties #14  
I've been to Anza-Borrego probably fifty times and had to look up where Boulevard is. :D You learn something new everyday.

Good advise so far. If your skip has a front end loader on it, it's going to be hard to find a newer tractor with as much lifting power. Even the old 70's models were pretty stout. In the 80's, the Ford 345's lift went to 3k, the 445 4k and the 545 5k with the H-linkage. Very heavy in weight compared to compact / ag tractors in a similar size too, which helps with ground engagement. The pivot pin max-height is a lot higher too, since they were designed to load out dump trucks. Just something more to think about.

/ Best tractor, sub compact, etc. to landscape two ten acre properties #15  
What they said, I often bundle new equipment in at the same time and get a discount on all of it, some look for a free first service or something like that. The bottom line is if they are asking MSRP or close, go somewhere else.

Thanks again for the pricing info. "Boulevard" is by the Mexican border half way between San Diego and El Centro, Ca. I'm getting discouraged though about buying anything at the moment and hopefully the next info is not out of line: On the border of my property an Indian tribe is very seriously planning on putting 85 Massive 500 foot tall, i.e., the size of 50 story buildings wind turbines.They are placing them in some of the most picturesque mountain views in San Diego County. They will be strung together with flashing red lights ruining the night sky.They also kill eagles and other birds. They will build miles and miles of roadways zigzagging across the mountain landscape. There must be a better location or alternative way to get clean energy. There are not very many unobstructed vistas in San Diego County left. Once these monstrosities are up, it's too late to do anything. They will be there for years even when obviously less intrusive better technologies are available and even when taxpayer dollars dry up.If you are for the environment please speak out against the industrialization of the mountains now. The public comment deadline to object is 2-25-13; Send objections by email to: shuluukcomments@aecom.com.

/ Best tractor, sub compact, etc. to landscape two ten acre properties #17  
Maybe provide some more information, I read that you have two small plots of land, you probably do not live on them, but have driveways, trails, etc that you want to maintain? You do not need 40 HP to maintain a couple hundred feet of driveway. I would be looking at something in the 20-25 HP range, 2000-2500 lbs with loader and 4ft Box Blade. 4x4. This way it won't be a big chore to trailer it home and between properties. Check out the Kubota B series, or LS J2030 or other equiv. If these are Hobby properties then like me, your tractor time is play time. You could get away with a 6x12 single axle utility trailer and pull it with an SUV. If you plan to drive the tractor between properties, then you will need a larger tractor with good road speed and the saftey aspect of size.

Mr. Devuovo, That is basically it but I may retire there soon and can drive between the properties on dirt roads a few miles apart. Trailering would be nice but I think that I can keep a bigger tractor on these properties and keep my old Ford tractor that is trailerable at my current residence. I'll check out what you recommend.

/ Best tractor, sub compact, etc. to landscape two ten acre properties #19  
i have An M7040sud thats ever smallish at times if i could afford and do it al over again id get a 110x that might be enough tractor for pulling stuff with 3pt i run out of traction the tractor is 8300ibs over the scale

/ Best tractor, sub compact, etc. to landscape two ten acre properties #20  
I'm surprised Barbara Boxer hasn't come out against this wind farm; especially since she made a stink about a proposed solar power plant in the Mojave Desert wrecking the middle of nowhere.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.