Comparison Stoutest rotary cutter?

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #11  
We use Woods and Land Pride and really like them, we do some pretty heavy cutting so went with the Woods DS1260 and Land Pride RCR2672. I am sure other brands are good also, I just don't have any first hand experience with them.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #12  
Also take a look at Hardee brand rotary cutters. We've had two of them over the years and they are very heavy duty. We have a 1000 series 72" cutter, they also make an 1100 series which is heavier duty yet. Hardee

/ Stoutest rotary cutter?
TripleR said:
We use Woods and Land Pride and really like them, we do some pretty heavy cutting so went with the Woods DS1260 and Land Pride RCR2672. I am sure other brands are good also, I just don't have any first hand experience with them.

The 2672 or 2772 are my "dream" cutters. I'm just not at the point where I can justify $3500 for a cutter. If I could find a good used one in my area I'd be all over it!

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #14  
I've got a woods "brush bull" 600 ....BB600 (5' wide) and they make a BB720 (6' wide) That I've been using for over 10 years clearing brush and mowing pasture. It isn't showing any wear to speak of. It's weather worn from sitting outside ....but works like a new one. AND I love the way the blades come off.

I've got a woods "brush bull" 600 ....BB600 (5' wide) and they make a BB720 (6' wide) That I've been using for over 10 years clearing brush and mowing pasture. It isn't showing any wear to speak of. It's weather worn from sitting outside ....but works like a new one. AND I love the way the blades come off.

The bb72 is more in my price range but the 720 is very nice heavy cutter. I've looked at their blade change system and it does look handy.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #16  
I bought a HOWSE 6 foot with 65 HP gear box and used it for cutting anything my 50 HP tractor could push over and never even sheared a pin in it. The sheet metal was rather light weight but for $800 it was a very good mower. I let it go with my Yanmar tractor. Check out the Howse product line. They have light duty up to heavy duty models and they all have heavy duty gear boxes and stump jumpers. Biggest difference is in the sheet metal thickness which varies from about 1/16" up to 1/4" for heavy duty mowers.

I'm going to call Howse today to see if there is a dealer nearby. There used to be one about 10 miles from me but I think they quit selling equipment all together. I'd like to get a look at howse's heavy duty unit. It looks pretty stout for the prices I've found online.

On another note I've called several dealers in my area who sell Bush Hog and not one of them actually has Bush Hog stuff in stock or really even wanted to give me a price on one. They push either Woods or Rhino. I'm kind of confused. I always thought Bush Hog to be one of the top three and its frustrating that I can't find a REAL dealer.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #18  
In my opinion, I believe Landpride builds the stoutest rotary cutter.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #19  
The 2672 or 2772 are my "dream" cutters. I'm just not at the point where I can justify $3500 for a cutter. If I could find a good used one in my area I'd be all over it!

I had to have something able to cut 3" stuff and have cut some even a bit over, so I bit the bullet so to speak, but sure can understand the cost issues. I used more economical cutters for years before getting this one. I was able to get a pretty good discount by buying it when I bought my tractor.

I'm looking hard at the Taylor Pittsburg 486. It has a 90hp gearbox with slip clutch, 7 ga top deck. 1/4" sides and weighs about 1200 lbs. I was quoted $1895. Any thoughts?