Comparison Stoutest rotary cutter?

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #21  
I thought that bush hog had been bought by another company.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #22  
We use Woods and Land Pride and really like them, we do some pretty heavy cutting so went with the Woods DS1260 and Land Pride RCR2672. I am sure other brands are good also, I just don't have any first hand experience with them.

I echo this advice. Both good brands.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter?
I was also quoted $2100 for a Woods bb72 and $2150 for a land pride 2072. Both very nice cutters but the TP 486 has a lot more metal to it, almost 400lbs worth. Tough decisions....

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #24  
I don't have any experience with that model, but I do have a 6' Taylor Pittsburg 270 that I purchased new in 2000. It has the same gauge top and deck thickness as the 486, but has a 75 HP gearbox and weighs less (950 lbs.) I have been pleased so far, but I have used it for only 250 hours or so and I haven't abused it. However, given my perception of its build quality, I think the cutter would stand up to considerable abuse.

Steve

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #25  
Sorry to hear you don't have a good Bush Hog dealer nearby. A 280 or 290 series ought to handle anything you can throw at it for a decade or two.

I got a 295 last year. Maybe a bit smaller than what you want, but with a 130hp gearbox and built like a tank it'll chop up anything smaller than a telephone pole. Lol

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #26  
I'm looking hard at the Taylor Pittsburg 486. It has a 90hp gearbox with slip clutch, 7 ga top deck. 1/4" sides and weighs about 1200 lbs. I was quoted $1895. Any thoughts?

I would advise against the Taylor Pittsburg, I have experienced their engineered to fail philosophy first hand.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter?
I don't have any experience with that model, but I do have a 6' Taylor Pittsburg 270 that I purchased new in 2000. It has the same gauge top and deck thickness as the 486, but has a 75 HP gearbox and weighs less (950 lbs.) I have been pleased so far, but I have used it for only 250 hours or so and I haven't abused it. However, given my perception of its build quality, I think the cutter would stand up to considerable abuse.

Steve

Thanks for your thoughts. The TP looks pretty beefy just a lot more basic than a Woods,etc. I just want to be sure it will really hold up because I probably will abuse it some. The AGCO dealer that sells them said that Taylor Pittsburgh supplys cutters for AGCO under their various brands so I'm guessing they must be pretty decent.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #29  
poor weld quality, cracked and broken welds throughout. lack of gussetting and reinforcement. on a 7' box blade, and 6' cutter. Long since modified and adapted to actually work and keep working.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #30  
I like my Landpride(RCR3596),also have a Woods and bushhog. I have owned a Howse 10ft no issue sold to neighbor its about 8yrs old without any issues. The new Howse mowers look a lot better now,a buddy of mine has been running one couple months but only mowed a few weeds so far. Most the top brands are going to be good I believe but I would buy Landpride again and try a Rhino..