Comparison Stoutest rotary cutter?

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #1  

dbaer78

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota mx5100hst
In the market for a new 6' cutter. I have all the major brands available fairly close. I'm looking for a "medium duty" cutter as the manufacturers put it so something like a 1872 or 2072 LP or a 172 Rhino. I would love a heavy duty cutter with 3" capacity but can't justify the extra $1000 since I'm on a tight budget. I won't just be trimming pasture and mowing water ways. This thing will see brush use too just not extended use in 2-3" trees or anything. So I'd like to hear from any one who has one of these cutters or something similar to see which is the best bang for the buck. Thanks, drew

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #2  
I have a Chinese made 4' rough mower similar to the ones shown in this link:

http://www.cheinc.net/internationalmowers.htm

The same mower is likely available under several names and suppliers.

I purchased it new from the local Kubota dealer who recommended it as an ugly, tough mower that is better value than some of the prettier, well know brands.

Mine has served great in rough conditions for 6 years.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #3  
Look up Howse, King Kutter and Taylor Way. I'm sure there are also many others that make a nice medium duty cutter that will fit the budget.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #4  
I have a Bush Hog SQ600 that I bought with my L3130 ten years ago, but I don't think they offer this model any longer. It's not the heavy duty model, but I've used and abused it to an extreme. I've used it to destroy 6' tall Huisache trees with 3" trunks - and we're not taking a few here, we're taking a whole bunch! I've put this thing through the paces and it just keeps on going. It has sat outside in the elements it's whole life and there isn't a spot of rust on it. I've managed to bend the sides in a place or two, but the deck is SOLID. I would not hesitate to buy this brand again. When I finally get around to buying a cutter for the new M7040 - Bush Hog is the first and last place I'll look...

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #5  
I've got a 5' Howse that has been through a lot of heavy brush and small trees without problem. It has chopped up some pines over 2 inches, but I'd not want to run over trees bigger than that with my tractor anyway. I put a Ratchet Rake on the FEL and just pull up and stack saplings anyway. It's not as neat, but the field is clear.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #6  
In the market for a new 6' cutter. I have all the major brands available fairly close. I'm looking for a "medium duty" cutter as the manufacturers put it so something like a 1872 or 2072 LP or a 172 Rhino. I would love a heavy duty cutter with 3" capacity but can't justify the extra $1000 since I'm on a tight budget. I won't just be trimming pasture and mowing water ways. This thing will see brush use too just not extended use in 2-3" trees or anything. So I'd like to hear from any one who has one of these cutters or something similar to see which is the best bang for the buck. Thanks, drew

I would suggest looking at the specs.for each one you are considering and get the heaviest and thickest blades and deepest deck. I would stick to well known brand. I had no luck with an off brand and traded it in on a Woods and have been pleased. The deck on the off brand wasn't very deep and the blades would flex and hit the surface even on small brush. Woods-John Deere-Rhino-Kodiak are some of the better known brands.Some times Craigslist around here has some decent deals on used ones.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter?
DT86 said:
Look up Howse, King Kutter and Taylor Way. I'm sure there are also many others that make a nice medium duty cutter that will fit the budget.

I currently co-own an old Howse with a good friend. It's to the point the deck is almost completely junk but the old 40hp shear bolt gear box is sill going strong after years of abuse by tractors way over 40 hp. I might consider another one but I don't know of any dealers close. I plan on going to to look at Taylor Way soon. The thing I do like about Howse or Taylor Way is that I can get a heavier cutter for the money but I'm concerned a little with parts availability and longevity.

SanDucerro said:
I have a Bush Hog SQ600 that I bought with my L3130 ten years ago, but I don't think they offer this model any longer. It's not the heavy duty model, but I've used and abused it to an extreme. I've used it to destroy 6' tall Huisache trees with 3" trunks - and we're not taking a few here, we're taking a whole bunch! I've put this thing through the paces and it just keeps on going. It has sat outside in the elements it's whole life and there isn't a spot of rust on it. I've managed to bend the sides in a place or two, but the deck is SOLID. I would not hesitate to buy this brand again. When I finally get around to buying a cutter for the new M7040 - Bush Hog is the first and last place I'll look...

Bush Hog is at the top of my list too. We have a 286 at work and that thing is a real bruiser.

amaxwell said:
I would suggest looking at the specs.for each one you are considering and get the heaviest and thickest blades and deepest deck. I would stick to well known brand. I had no luck with an off brand and traded it in on a Woods and have been pleased. The deck on the off brand wasn't very deep and the blades would flex and hit the surface even on small brush. Woods-John Deere-Rhino-Kodiak are some of the better known brands.Some times Craigslist around here has some decent deals on used ones.

I've been memorizing specs for the last year! I would love to find a lightly used heavy duty Woods or Rhino but all I've found so far in my area is light duty worn out junk.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #10  
I like the howse too for the money they are hard to beat. Land pride makes great equipment and rhino's are great. If your just looking for tough and want some money left in the wallet I would get a howse.