Comparison Stoutest rotary cutter?

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #41  
If you want a HEAVY DUTY UNIT that will last to the cows come home there is only one number one and that is a RHINO CHECK OUT MODEL 472 in a 6 ft.cutter CAPACITY 4.5 in and that is on the light side I've taken down 5in some 6in with no problem in the past with one just make sure you have a enough tractor to handle it 75-80 HP works fine. On my second choice would be BUSH HOG MODEL 296 either way you can't go wrong and when the rest are wore out RHINO and BUSH HOG are just getting started. JUST don't make the mistake and go far the cheapest one based on price.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #42  
If replacing my JD MX6 today, I would be looking hard at the Bush Hog 296. So far I have not had the issues others have with the JD MX6. I got it when I purchased my JD 5105 and held on to it when trading up to the JD 5303. We have a 15-20 year old Howse 6' unit with shear pin and it has performed flawlessly. No maintenance performed other than the occasional greasing and to my knowledge same blades. Have changed shear pin once. One thing I have noticed is the JD MX6 seems to provide a better "finish" cut in grass compared to a Bush Hog 285 I have run. Seems to cut closer and smoother.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #43  
brown's 6 ft heavy cutter is rated for 8 inch.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #44  
brown's 6 ft heavy cutter is rated for 8 inch.

8 inch,she may buck alittle. May need to replace something more than a shear pin:D

/ Stoutest rotary cutter?
foreman Etexas said:
8 inch,she may buck alittle. May need to replace something more than a shear pin:D

Ha! I bet that cutter weighs as much as my tractor. I've watched a 6' Brown cutter work behind a 6115 Deere clearing the powerline on my place and it would flat put the fire out of that thing if the operator crowded it to much.

Well I sealed the deal today on a brand new Rhino 172. It will be delivered to my door for $2086. I've looked at all the brands and I like the design of the Rhino the best all in all for the price. I bought it from Blesche Bros. in Odon Indiana and I was very pleased with their professionalism and service and I'm definitely going to head back there this fall when I save up enough for a heavy duty rear blade.

Attachments

• image-21492868.jpg
    image-21492868.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 205
   / Stoutest rotary cutter? #48  
Congratulations on your new cutter.

TripleR said:
Congratulations on your new cutter.

Thanks. I plan using it hard and giving everyone a review. Now I can't wait for the grass and brush to start growing! Never thought I'd ever say that....

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #50  
Thanks. I plan using it hard and giving everyone a review. Now I can't wait for the grass and brush to start growing! Never thought I'd ever say that....

I know what you mean I was the same way when I bought a new one; got over it in a few months, but I still look forward to it every spring.:laughing:

One thing I did after I bought mine was to put chain guards on in lieu of the rubber ones, I ordered it with front chain guards, but rubber in the back. Mine cuts better with chains front and back and I don't get stuff flying out. I mow along our road and it makes me nervous. I still have rubber ones on our Woods, but I don't go along roadways etc.; still intend to put some on some day.

Enjoy your cutter.:thumbsup: