Comparison Stoutest rotary cutter?

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #51  
Congrats on new cutter...

/ Stoutest rotary cutter?
Thanks foreman. I really like the build quality of Rhino's stuff. Can't wait to see how it holds up. As TripleR suggested I will probably end up with chain guards at least on the front. I just couldn't stomach the extra $250 right now. I think I might try building my own but we'll see.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #53  
Thanks foreman. I really like the build quality of Rhino's stuff. Can't wait to see how it holds up. As TripleR suggested I will probably end up with chain guards at least on the front. I just couldn't stomach the extra $250 right now. I think I might try building my own but we'll see.
Yeah I like the chains also but I think you could build something like you said for a lot less than 250. I got the zero turn out and mowed the yard today,I don't think the wife is going to let me bale it this year cause she doesn't like the tall grass. She also doesn't like me to let the cows in to graze,lol.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #56  
There is a thread on here somewhere in which a guy fabricated chain guards for his mower. I lack the ability to do so, but it should not be all that hard especially for the front.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter?
TripleR said:
There is a thread on here somewhere in which a guy fabricated chain guards for his mower. I lack the ability to do so, but it should not be all that hard especially for the front.

Thanks for the tip. I found the thread and it looks like a fun project. Of course it'll be in a long line of "fun" projects....

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #58  
Thanks for the tip. I found the thread and it looks like a fun project. Of course it'll be in a long line of "fun" projects....

No, you won't have to worry about running out of projects that's for sure.:)

If you haven't done so already check out some of the threads by 4shorts and ovrszd for some nice modification idea, there are some others too, but I forget who.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #59  

That'd be me.. for one. I ended up using more chain than I thought, and the density (between each vertical strand) isn't as high as I'd like. Use nothing less than 5/16 chain, and I'd recommend 3/8 if you can swing it. The weight of the chain is ALL that's keeping stuff under the mower. To be honest, I don't know how effective it really is. The solid guards are more effective, but don't allow as good a finish on the cut. I've bent my rear guards (solid steel) from backing into stuff, I just pound 'em back out with a hammer later.

You don't need a lot of weld to hold the chain on, just a good tack on each side. I overdid mine, as usual. I'd recommend bolting the steel bars on first, then weld the chain to them to reduce bending and distortion. I had to pound mine out flat after welding.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/203349-land-pride-rotary-cutter-chain.html

If you look at the density of the chain on the front of TripleR's cutter in the pics he posted in that thread, that's what you should have.

Sean

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #60  
Yeah I like the chains also but I think you could build something like you said for a lot less than 250. I got the zero turn out and mowed the yard today,I don't think the wife is going to let me bale it this year cause she doesn't like the tall grass. She also doesn't like me to let the cows in to graze,lol.

I got some good visual thoughts about your post. I also had a good chuckle over it. Sometimes Women think we are just totally stupid don't they?? And I guess sometimes we are.... :thumbsup: