Comparison Stoutest rotary cutter?

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #61  
That'd be me.. for one. I ended up using more chain than I thought, and the density (between each vertical strand) isn't as high as I'd like. Use nothing less than 5/16 chain, and I'd recommend 3/8 if you can swing it. The weight of the chain is ALL that's keeping stuff under the mower. To be honest, I don't know how effective it really is. The solid guards are more effective, but don't allow as good a finish on the cut. I've bent my rear guards (solid steel) from backing into stuff, I just pound 'em back out with a hammer later.

You don't need a lot of weld to hold the chain on, just a good tack on each side. I overdid mine, as usual. I'd recommend bolting the steel bars on first, then weld the chain to them to reduce bending and distortion. I had to pound mine out flat after welding.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/203349-land-pride-rotary-cutter-chain.html

If you look at the density of the chain on the front of TripleR's cutter in the pics he posted in that thread, that's what you should have.

Sean

Thanks, the solid rubber on our LP or Woods did a poor job of keeping stuff under the mower. I still have them on our Woods and stuff flies out from under there all the time while the chains on our renter's batwing cutter keep stuff under there as he mows right by our house every once in a while. The ones on my LP do a good job of keeping stuff from flying out from under there and as mentioned gives a better cut.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #62  
That'd be me.. for one. I ended up using more chain than I thought, and the density (between each vertical strand) isn't as high as I'd like. Use nothing less than 5/16 chain, and I'd recommend 3/8 if you can swing it. The weight of the chain is ALL that's keeping stuff under the mower. To be honest, I don't know how effective it really is. The solid guards are more effective, but don't allow as good a finish on the cut. I've bent my rear guards (solid steel) from backing into stuff, I just pound 'em back out with a hammer later.

You don't need a lot of weld to hold the chain on, just a good tack on each side. I overdid mine, as usual. I'd recommend bolting the steel bars on first, then weld the chain to them to reduce bending and distortion. I had to pound mine out flat after welding.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/203349-land-pride-rotary-cutter-chain.html

If you look at the density of the chain on the front of TripleR's cutter in the pics he posted in that thread, that's what you should have.

Sean

Sean, thanks for posting the link. I just bought a JD1008 cutter with rubber belting. I think I'll build a set of chains using your idea as a pattern. Larry says he gets a better cut with chains and I'm all about that!! Thanks again for the link.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter?
Thanks for the link Sean. I'm definitely going to go with 5/16" or 3/8" chain. The Bush-Hog 286 we use at work uses 5/16" I think and it works well.

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #64  
I got some good visual thoughts about your post. I also had a good chuckle over it. Sometimes Women think we are just totally stupid don't they?? And I guess sometimes we are.... :thumbsup:
Yeah she cursed me alittle bit last time she found a cow pie with the Nikes.:D

Well my new cutter was delivered today. I couldn't wait until things started growing again to try it out so I took it back to the back power line and did some winter shredding. The previous owners hadn't maintained it for a long time and I want to turn it back to pasture or hay. After a few hours of use I think the 172 Rhino is going to be right at home here. Seems to be heck for stout for a "standard" duty cutter.

Attachments

• image-3367746161.jpg
    image-3367746161.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image-171647037.jpg
    image-171647037.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 159
  • image-1356951256.jpg
    image-1356951256.jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 131
  • image-105607168.jpg
    image-105607168.jpg
    797.4 KB · Views: 120
  • image-424879967.jpg
    image-424879967.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 153
  • image-3834163982.jpg
    image-3834163982.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 110
That's another option. Good eye!

/ Stoutest rotary cutter? #68  
Hope you enjoy your new cutter. I've got a Rhino SE6 that I've outgrown. I've not had any problems with it at all. Very good equipment.

Thanks. And that's what everyone else has said about Rhino equipment which is a big reason I bought one. The only thing I dislike about the cutter is the Comer gearbox is made in China but it seems like most of the gearboxes on cutters are foreign made.