Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX 5000

Default Re: Compact for new 43 acre wooded property

Grandad4 keeps making great points, I guess the saying ''wisdom comes with age'' is indeed true

Tractor
    Kubota L3800

Quote Originally Posted by Grandad4 View Post
    If you are the primary breadwinner, there is one cold-hearted but factual "principle" everyone involved needs to understand and agree to concerning your property development plans:
    Your time is limited and valuable and there is a big piece of work ahead of you with your property. If the idea is to run you ragged doing everything the hard way just to save $100/month, you're going to be an old man before your time. That's just not a good plan. Further, whatever the right equipment costs is chump change vs. a disabling injury (or worse) that resulted from fatigue or inadequate equipment.
    Well said sir.

Tractor
    none

I'm going to sound great when I lay those two points on her!

Tractor
    case ih

Quote Originally Posted by 790greene
    I would go with a 3000 series John Deere. I have 56 acres about 14 or 15 mowed and the rest is woods. I have a J.D. 790 which is the same as the 3005. I also have a loader and backhoe for it. It works very well, I have a lot of steep hills so i went with a gear transmission instead of hyro. Also have a 5' tiller. I definately wouldn't want a smaller tractor, a little larger would be nice, however when i am in the woods with my tractor it is just the right size. A bigger tractor wouldn't work so well in the woods. Another deciding factor for me was John Deere is an american company, and I am an american, so i try to support my country. REMEMBER BUY AMERICAN OR BYE AMERICA!!
    Haha JD cut isn't American. Just saying. It's made in Japan at least the engine is. Not that I'm against that. It's just that everyone say JD is all American and it isn't.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch

Quote Originally Posted by jgoehri1 View Post
    The Mrs and I recently purchased a 43 acre property in Indiana. It consists of a 3 acres that needs mowed, 30 acres of woods that includes a 1 acre pond (old gravel pit that I'd like to clean up for my young kids to fish, felled tree hauling and, cash permitting, backhoe work) and 10 acres of old pasture that floods approximately 10 times per year. I'd like to bushhog the old pasture and plant deer food plots along with spruces for wind breaks. My driveway is about 1/4 of a mile and needs new gravel. The house is 125 years old with an addition that was not concerned with insulation and could use a wood stove for additional winter comfort. We certainly have the wood and I'll need something capable of towing out fallen trees and hauling cut wood. I'm a country boy who finally managed to get the land I've so coveted.

Please help a fella out with my best option. I'm leaning kubota 3200 or Jd 2000 series. My question is will these handle the heavy tilling and backhoe work while still being able to handle a belly mower? What do you guys recommend? I'm fortunate to have a pretty good job to provide for the family, but it's not an unlimited well. I could probably swing about $25K, but am open to suggestions.
    In my opinion two is better than one. One good small diesel for the lawn & garden work, and a larger loader equipped tractor for the rest of it. These tractors could work for you for the next 20 years+. It is very possible to choose your equipment wisely the first time around and not have any second thoughts or size regrets. Do your homework, check them all out. Your favorites will be obvious to you as you eliminate contenders. 0% interest makes it affordable to do this. 43 acres is a pretty good chunk of land, one tractor fits all is not an easy find. Once you get your tractors then you get have more fun buying implements to do the work. Look at it this way, you'll probably go through several new cars and still be using your original tractors.
    BX25, "60" MMM, 3 point hitch, Brinly 12" cat 0 1 bottom plow, TSC Countyline carry all, Kubota ballast box, 4X4 Loyal drag harrow, BXpanded Piranha tooth bar, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, Bro-Tek wheel spacers, Bro-Tek backhoe ripper tooth. Kubota BX2763A front plow, Phoenix T4 48" rototiller, Harbor Freight Quick Hitch, BXpanded Quick-on Work light Kit, Mark Hodge stabilizers.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ferguson TO 20, Kubota B3300, BH77

You received a lot of good info on tractor sizes etc. My advice would be don't compromise the size tractor you need for a property of that size (and chore requirements) because you need a mower. If I understood, you said it was about 3 acres of mowing of a rough yard...if you are not real picky on the lawn, maybe consider a 3pt finish mower for the tractor rather than a mmm or belly mower.

Tractor
    none

Thanks for all the help so far. Guess I'm going to need to find me a lawn mower forum too. I ain't gonna lie to ya . . . I'm looking forward to looking at some bigger tractors!

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by jgoehri1 View Post
    Thanks for all the help so far. Guess I'm going to need to find me a lawn mower forum too. I ain't gonna lie to ya . . . I'm looking forward to looking at some bigger tractors!
    We all have lawn mowers or someway to mow so we can all recommend something. I mow with my kubota BX. I got it to replace my Cub Cadet but I am all the time doing stuff with it. It is nice to have a smaller tractor. What ever brand tractor you decide to go with if you buy one of their mowers they may cut you a better deal.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3940; 1942 Farmall H (for sale)

We also have a 43 acre parcel (in MN), with about 37-38 wooded, 2 acres around the house and the driveway and rest pasture (no flooding for us, though), 1/3 mile driveway paved. About 1/2 the woods is fairly steep. My budget was a bit higher. I went with a kubota L3940 (delivered a few weeks ago). I wanted enough PTO power to run a 6' cutter. I added mid PTO, not for mowing but for possible snow blower at some time in the future. I got a 6' rotary cutter, grapple, and a blade. Will also be looking at a chipper and potentially a splitter. Although I have a JD 42" garden tractor from our old property, right now, I hire out the lawn mowing (really just don't have the time), but ultimately would get a zero turn to do the yard and along the driveway. The HST+ is really nice. I agree, two machines -- one for mowing, one for the rest.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Some smaller than others
    Murph ------------

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast