Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Compact for new 43 acre wooded property

I have a couple of cheap (couple hundred dollar) riding movers that I use for the lawn. When I hit ledge and something breaks I just either fix it if I can for cheap or trade it in for another used rider from one of the local guys who sell used mowers. I good friend went one step further. He bought about 10 push mowers and has them connected together and set up like a giant gang that he can tow. He starts them all up and then pulls them behind his rider.

I know some people like the idea of buying a less expensive tractor and getting more attachments with the savings. For me I like to do just the opposite. I would rather invest in a larger deluxe tractor and then buy attachments as I need them. Since I plan on owning the tractor for decades I would rather get one that I really like and not worry about trading up down the road or wishing I got something different. I can always save up for an attachment.
    Last edited by crazyal; 01-30-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    I know some people like the idea of buying a less expensive tractor and getting more attachments with the savings. For me I like to do just the opposite. I would rather invest in a larger deluxe tractor and then buy attachments as I need them. Since I plan on owning the tractor for decades I would rather get one that I really like and not worry about trading up down the road or wishing I got something different. I can always save up for an attachment.
    I agree with the above, I try to get the larger purchases correct for long term use and buy the attachments as I need them.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7305

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    A good friend went one step further. He bought about 10 push mowers and has them connected together and set up like a giant gang that he can tow. He starts them all up and then pulls them behind his rider.
    Are you serious? What a terrible idea. You HAVE to get a picture of this hill-billy setup for us though.

Back on topic, lots of good advice so far in here. Basically the bottom line seems to be, don't limit your tractor size just so you can get a mid-mount mower. You can always (seriously, always) locally find a used riding mower in decent shape for well under $1000.

Tractor
    Kubota L3800

Quote Originally Posted by deezler View Post
    You HAVE to get a picture of this hill-billy setup for us though.
    +1,000

Tractor
    Many

Yeah, I want to see that 10 push mower hillbilly gang setup too. What does he do when one stalls? Next maybe he will attach them to a beam on his FEL and make a hedge mower?

Tractor
    John Deere 790

i never said the JD was made in America. I simply stated that JD was an American company. Last time i checked they still were. why would you want to buy a tractor who's company is from Japan? all the money goes back to Japan instead of to the USA? i guess that's good if you live in Japan. maybe i should get rid of all my american things and move to japan? that doesn't sound too patriotic to me. just saying!!

Quote Originally Posted by redfarmer View Post
    Haha JD cut isn't American. Just saying. It's made in Japan at least the engine is. Not that I'm against that. It's just that everyone say JD is all American and it isn't.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by 790greene View Post
    i never said the JD was made in America. I simply stated that JD was an American company. Last time i checked they still were. why would you want to buy a tractor who's company is from Japan? all the money goes back to Japan instead of to the USA? i guess that's good if you live in Japan. maybe i should get rid of all my american things and move to japan? that doesn't sound too patriotic to me. just saying!!
    There is kubota Manufacturing of America. Some tractors, and most loaders and attachments are made in Georgia.

Tractor
    case ih

Quote Originally Posted by 790greene
    I never said that you should buy Japanese. I just mentioned that your getting a Japanese made product, made by Japanese workers. And it's just a big wheel American making big dollars while many Americans are unemployed. No that's not very patriotic.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Quote Originally Posted by 790greene View Post
    Another deciding factor for me was John Deere is an american company, and I am an american, so i try to support my country. REMEMBER BUY AMERICAN OR BYE AMERICA!!
    You have a 790!
    The 790 are made in Japan
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Tractor
    John Deere 790

actually my 790 wasn't made in Japan. it was made in India. the bottom line in JD is an american company regardless of where the product is made my money still comes back to America. that's why i won't purchase a toyota or honda or any other foreign vehicle. i have a hard time buying things that arent from american companies. no matter what anyone might say to convince me other wise, i'm going to continue buying from american companies. BUY AMERICAN OR BYE AMERICA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DK35vince View Post
    You have a 790!
    The 790 are made in Japan

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast