Buying Advice Compact for new 43 acre wooded property

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #31  
I have a couple of cheap (couple hundred dollar) riding movers that I use for the lawn. When I hit ledge and something breaks I just either fix it if I can for cheap or trade it in for another used rider from one of the local guys who sell used mowers. I good friend went one step further. He bought about 10 push mowers and has them connected together and set up like a giant gang that he can tow. He starts them all up and then pulls them behind his rider.

I know some people like the idea of buying a less expensive tractor and getting more attachments with the savings. For me I like to do just the opposite. I would rather invest in a larger deluxe tractor and then buy attachments as I need them. Since I plan on owning the tractor for decades I would rather get one that I really like and not worry about trading up down the road or wishing I got something different. I can always save up for an attachment.

Last edited:
   / Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #32  
I know some people like the idea of buying a less expensive tractor and getting more attachments with the savings. For me I like to do just the opposite. I would rather invest in a larger deluxe tractor and then buy attachments as I need them. Since I plan on owning the tractor for decades I would rather get one that I really like and not worry about trading up down the road or wishing I got something different. I can always save up for an attachment.

I agree with the above, I try to get the larger purchases correct for long term use and buy the attachments as I need them.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #33  
A good friend went one step further. He bought about 10 push mowers and has them connected together and set up like a giant gang that he can tow. He starts them all up and then pulls them behind his rider.

Are you serious? What a terrible idea. You HAVE to get a picture of this hill-billy setup for us though.

Back on topic, lots of good advice so far in here. Basically the bottom line seems to be, don't limit your tractor size just so you can get a mid-mount mower. You can always (seriously, always) locally find a used riding mower in decent shape for well under $1000.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #35  
Yeah, I want to see that 10 push mower hillbilly gang setup too. What does he do when one stalls? Next maybe he will attach them to a beam on his FEL and make a hedge mower?

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #36  
i never said the JD was made in America. I simply stated that JD was an American company. Last time i checked they still were. why would you want to buy a tractor who's company is from Japan? all the money goes back to Japan instead of to the USA? i guess that's good if you live in Japan. maybe i should get rid of all my american things and move to japan? that doesn't sound too patriotic to me. just saying!!

Haha JD cut isn't American. Just saying. It's made in Japan at least the engine is. Not that I'm against that. It's just that everyone say JD is all American and it isn't.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #37  
i never said the JD was made in America. I simply stated that JD was an American company. Last time i checked they still were. why would you want to buy a tractor who's company is from Japan? all the money goes back to Japan instead of to the USA? i guess that's good if you live in Japan. maybe i should get rid of all my american things and move to japan? that doesn't sound too patriotic to me. just saying!!

There is Kubota Manufacturing of America. Some tractors, and most loaders and attachments are made in Georgia.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #38  
790greene said:

I never said that you should buy Japanese. I just mentioned that your getting a Japanese made product, made by Japanese workers. And it's just a big wheel American making big dollars while many Americans are unemployed. No that's not very patriotic.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #39  
Another deciding factor for me was John Deere is an american company, and I am an american, so i try to support my country. REMEMBER BUY AMERICAN OR BYE AMERICA!!
You have a 790!
The 790 are made in Japan

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #40  
actually my 790 wasn't made in Japan. it was made in India. the bottom line in JD is an american company regardless of where the product is made my money still comes back to America. that's why i won't purchase a toyota or honda or any other foreign vehicle. i have a hard time buying things that arent from american companies. no matter what anyone might say to convince me other wise, i'm going to continue buying from american companies. BUY AMERICAN OR BYE AMERICA!!!

You have a 790!
The 790 are made in Japan