Comparison JD 3720 vs 4320

/ JD 3720 vs 4320 #1  

AllenSchlag

Tractor
Looking
Ok, I have been reading the forums quietly for a few months now and finally find myself needing to make a decision.

First of all, let me just say that I grew up running older JD tractors (B, 70, 830, 7520, 4020, 4430, and 6030) and recently bought a 40 ac parcel that I plan to turn into a small hobby orchard/farm just for the fun of it. So fast forward to today, one thing I am abundantly aware of is that I don't wish to be a part-time mechanic (not that I can't, just don't have the extra time) and this means I am looking for something that is fairly long-lasting.

Right now there are two tractors that have my eye, one is a 2007 JD 3720 with 400 hrs, the other is a JD 2006 4320 with 950 hrs at $22.5k and $20.5k, respectively. Both are Ehydro and have a FEL and a single rear SCV.

The tasks I want to do with the tractor are:

1. Break ground and till around trees I will be planting this summer (60" offset tiller would be ideal).

2. Dig fence post holes.

3. Plant food plots for deer/turkeys on an annual basis, maybe 3-4 acres.

4. Repair some damage to the dam in the backyard caused by a few years of unbelievable flooding (erosion on the downstream side). Box blade and FEL work.

Given the above tasks, I am fairly sure either tractor with the appropriate attachments will suffice. So the big questions I have are on the models dependability and durability. How many hours should either of these tractors last before a person should expect major engine/tranny overhauls on these respective tractors? I'd think 3k at a minimum but really don't know and haven't found any references online.

Regrettably, both are also located at dealers more than a couple hundred miles away so a stop by to kick the tires is a little difficult to arrange unless I am fairly confident that I will be happy with the tractor. The local dealer never seems to have squat on the lot for used.

Anyway, is there a real big difference between the JD PowerTech and the Yanmar engines they use as far as quality? Anything I might have overlooked in the decision making process (figure I will be into this for nearly $30k by the time it's all said and done, so buyers remorse is certainly something I'd like to avoid).

/ JD 3720 vs 4320 #2  
Welcome to the forum.:)

A few things that come to mind about the Deere tractors, the ehydro tranny starts with the 3000 series, planetary rear ends start with the 4000 series and wet sleeved engines start with the 5000 series. The 4320 would be similar in size and weight to the 830 but with more hp and 4z4 drive. I have an older 820 and 4520 and can use both with most of my attachments interchangeably. I think this size would be a good choice for most small projects.

If you need to get in tighter spaces the 3720 would be a good choice and should have plenty of power for the frame size. Good tractor but a little small imo.

You should compare the differences in the fel capacities too.

/ JD 3720 vs 4320 #4  
a freind of mine that does a LOT of food plot work has a 3520 he pulls a 2 bottom plow,72" tiller and 72" box blade just fine.he has the back tires loaded and has cast wheel weights to get good traction and counter weight for the loader. I think the 3720 is same tractor just a little more hp than the 3520 good tractors realy have more power than you need in that weight class of tractor. you realy need to add ballist to get full use of hp.he has around 3000hrs with no problems but his is a gear trans so i cant say how long a hydro should last but those yanmars will last 7-8000 hrs and beyond

/ JD 3720 vs 4320 #5  
I was comparing, for a few minutes anyway, a 4520 and a 3720 at a dealer. Beyond what the other posters said, I like the sound of the 3 cylinder Yanmar. I have had a number of them and thing they are great engines, and that is basically what sold me. I don't regret the 3720 at all. Of course the 4520 engine may be better for all I know, but I was more confident in the Yanmar at the time.

/ JD 3720 vs 4320 #6  
I own a 2006 3720 and have had no issues during the four years I have owned it and nothing but good things to say about its capabilities. I used mine only for mowing and FEL work, no ground engaging attachments. My gut feeling is the biggest tractor you can afford would be better for this type of work, however the better you maneuverability you get with a smaller tractor can’t be ignored. Concerning longevity I know from a very reliable source most property owners and small farmers greatly overestimate the amount of working hours they will put on their tractor, mine had 600 when I bought it and is right at 800 now. I use it allot during the summer and regularly during the colder months. Any 2006 3720 forward has any of the major manufacturing changes already incorporated, I have no idea about the 4000 series. The JD 4-cylynder had some growing pains but I believe by 2007 these had been resolved. My recommendation is you ask the dealer for a history of each tractor and make your decision based on past issues and condition of the individual tractor. At <100 hours/year you will be dead or tired of looking at it before it wears out. Deere supports all of their products for at least 12 years past the last manufacturing date and both of these tractors are still being built. Both asking prices sound reasonable as a new FEL for either tractor will cost <$4K. Good Luck with your decision.

/ JD 3720 vs 4320
Thanks for all the thoughts. I was out with sick kids (oddly enough, so was the salesman) and lost out on the 4320 as another salesman got a firm commitment to buy from someone else. Too bad though as the tractor ended up having a cash and carry price of $19.5. Oh well, I still have a couple of months before spring is upon us.

/ JD 3720 vs 4320 #8  
If you can afford the 4520 or even the 4320 that's what you should get, you won't regret it. I have a 4520 but had a 3320 before that. I absolutely need the higher lifting capacity of the 4520 and due to it's weight and size it engages the ground better. However, the 3000 series are great tractors with the exception that they are a little narrow. I had 4" extensions on the back of my 3320 and it made a world of difference in stability, especially with heavy load loads. Both would serve you well, but the bigger tractor is more likely to be the better choice it if fits your budget. It is still very very nimble and easily goes in anywhere I would take the 3320.

/ JD 3720 vs 4320 #9  
3720 and dont look back...:)

I'll second that. I have the 3520 and its done all I've asked from the field to the lawn/landscape.

Would I like to have a bigger tractor? Sure, but it wouldn't be as versatile as my 3520.

I'm very satisfied.