Tractor Sizing Looking for a tractor

/ Looking for a tractor #1  

vascubadiver

Tractor
Kubota
I need to buy a compact tractor to use for a about 18,000 sq ft garden. I need one for bush hogging, tilling, discing, and plowing. Would really appreciate anu advice on what size, hp, brand, etc.

/ Looking for a tractor #2  
Welcome to the forum.

A 25-30hp tractor would serve your purpose well. Take a look at Massey Ferguson or John Deere.

/ Looking for a tractor #3  
Welcome to the forum. I spent many years in Richmond and know Mechanicsville well. You've got a good sized garden there. If the garden is all you plan, I'd think a subcompact tractor would do well... Something like a John Deere 1025. The other major tractor brands are also pretty solid. I'd ask around about the best dealer and give them a preference. For a new machine owner, a good dealer is very important for support and advice. Make sure the tractor you pick is also comfortable to operate. There are big differences in how controls work. The only way to know what is right for you is to actually operate the machine around the dealer's lot.

Assuming you want to keep costs low, you may check around for used, but don't expect much. Pickins' were very slim around Richmond when I was there. People keep tractors a long time. But you can find used attachments. Watch the RTD and spread the word among area dealers about what you need. Use the Internet to get ball-park pricing - but you pay a little more for attachments "on the ground." You didn't mention it, but I'd sure go with a front end loader as well. It sure saves your back in hauling stuff, moving dirt and a million other things. I'll never again have a tractor without a FEL.

/ Looking for a tractor #4  
Welcome to the forum.

A 25-30hp tractor would serve your purpose well. Take a look at Massey Ferguson or John Deere.
What he said.

And welcome to TBN

/ Looking for a tractor #5  
Visit your local dealers and talk with them. A good dealer is really more important than brand. Find out how long they have been around and talk to some of their customers. We all have our favorite brands, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily the one for you. You seem to know what you want it to do. Are there any farm machinery shows in your area? They are always a good place to compare and have some fun as well. Don't be in a hurry, enjoy the process and ask questions. How many acres are you going to mow, what type of terrain, etc.?

/ Looking for a tractor #6  
I'd go with 25-35 HP and look for some ground clearance considering the chores that you mentioned. Depending on your health (strength), I'd study some quick attach options and integrate the purchase of attachments to make things go faster and easier. However, most of the implement in that size range are not that heavy or difficult to get connected. Cheers, Mike

/ Looking for a tractor #7  
10/4 on the good dealership . All these compact tractors are good . If you have any ill feelings after asking them about what will work for you , walk . A competent salesman or saleswoman should listen to what you have to say and be more than happy to let you test drive , look at implements , and basically kiss your ???? . If they act like they are not interested , let them know you are leaving .

/ Looking for a tractor #8  
Kubota has a B2320 narrow that would be good in a garden. It is only 37'' wide.