Tractor Sizing Tractor for 80 acre Ranch

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #21  
Yes.....I am getting some great advice. About a month ago I was able to sit down at the Case dealership and wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them. I have been leaning towards the Farmall C series with cab because they are a low profile which will help around my trees. I think I will concentrate more on the 85+HP range as I will probably be moving larger round bales in the future. We will move onto the property in about 5 weeks so I still have some time to research and learn from this site.

tractor1 (ADQ v1).jpg Thats my 50HP moving 5x6 bales

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #22  
I think you are on the right track here. Heavier is better when moving bales. While many of the smaller tractors will do it as evidenced by the photo of the the kubota above, a larger tractor will do it better and will hold up better over time. You are going to want a fairly powerful tractor for haying as well. I do believe that your dealers are correct on saying that 75 hp is the minimum. Sure you can run a round baler with less hp. I ran a 5x5 baler in a pinch with a 3020 jd and it did ok. Seventy hp or so worked, 85 made it work pretty good and the hundred and five hp of the white that I owned at the time made it talk real sweet.

A few years later I now have a more than enough tractors to choose from and all different hay equipment. Running to 4020 JD's a Ford 3000 (which it pretty much going to be relegated to dragging my riding arena now) and just bought a year old TD5050 New Holland. I am also in that market for another loader tractor right at the moment as I just closed the deal on another farm bringing me up to three places.

The 95c will pull a medium sized disc moco fairly well, and will run most big round balers pretty decently. At the moment I run a shade over a hundred pairs, four bulls, and between my horses and the boarders horses I have around 20 horses at any given time. I could if they were all at the home place get away with running just the TD5050 which is nearly identical to the farmall 95 without issue though I would keep a second loader tractor in reserve just in case of a break down, because no matter what the critters still need to be fed. Being that I have three places spread over ten miles and will be working up to 300 plus pairs I need a bit more equipment.

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch
On the minimum side would suggest Kubota M7040,NH powerstar 4.75,Case 75c
Then Kubota M8560,JD 5083E,Mahindra 8560
Any of the first three will pull a 12ft mower and the last three will be good for 15ft.
I pull a 5x4 baler with 64pto HP. The last three would be good for a 4x6 or 5x5 baler.
I will also suggest a sprayer for fence-lines and pasture. I also have a 12ft drag for the cow/horse pies.
Hello foreman Etexas.....thanks for all your information. I have been getting some first initial dealer quotes and here is what I am getting:
Kubota M7040-42,925 w/loader
JD5083e-48,925 w/loader
JD5093e-53,034 w/loader
Mahindra 8560-44,900 w/loader

I know I should be able to deal as I've seen some get up to 20% off list.

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #25  
Hello foreman Etexas.....thanks for all your information. I have been getting some first initial dealer quotes and here is what I am getting:
Kubota M7040-42,925 w/loader
JD5083e-48,925 w/loader
JD5093e-53,034 w/loader
Mahindra 8560-44,900 w/loader

I know I should be able to deal as I've seen some get up to 20% off list.

You got a tough descion all are going to be nice. Its just going to matter what you wonna spend. Do you preference in brand that you really like over the next,I mean just one that stands out more than the others?
You mentioned hay,got a number on acres and the size you would like to run? I have 30ac.meadow,run a 5x4baler,8wheel rake and 8ft cutter,all new was around 36,its not the best of the best but I'm very happy with it. Just like the tractors can spend all kinds of money on it also.
There is a Massey dealer on here in Texas,when I get to my computer tomorrow I will get his name. I think the massey numbers are going to be like 2650HD and 2660HD

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch
You got a tough descion all are going to be nice. Its just going to matter what you wonna spend. Do you preference in brand that you really like over the next,I mean just one that stands out more than the others?
You mentioned hay,got a number on acres and the size you would like to run? I have 30ac.meadow,run a 5x4baler,8wheel rake and 8ft cutter,all new was around 36,its not the best of the best but I'm very happy with it. Just like the tractors can spend all kinds of money on it also.
There is a Massey dealer on here in Texas,when I get to my computer tomorrow I will get his name. I think the massey numbers are going to be like 2650HD and 2660HD
I am open to any brand, but I do like the JD cabs. Out of my 3 separate fenced areas, 1 is totally clear of trees and is just open flat 25 acre pasture. This would probably where I would hay. But for the short term, I will get it delivered to the property(4x5 bales). I also got a price on the Branson 6640c for 36,000 with loader...66HP eng and 57 pto. The property has basically already been worked by the previous owner, I will just now maintain it...get some cattle...move some 4x5 bales around etc.. If I decide to bale in the future, it would be on a smaller scale in that 25 acre section. I just want to get a tractor that isnt too small, but not more than I really need.

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #27  
Of the ones you mentioned #1 Tym # 2 Mahindra #3 Deere. Good luck!

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #28  
for 80 acres the kubota m7040 would be enough.

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #29  
Another thing to think of on resale value is who your potential buyers are. Not many people will drive far to look at a used tractor. So that means someone within a few hundred miles or so. I know they have on line sites, but I would want to see what I was buying first hand. What brands are the most popular in your area? People can be quite loyal to brands. It is likely the same brands as have good dealers. I would not go with an off brand on that large of an investment, you don't want to be the only guy in your area with your color of tractor.