Tractor Sizing Tractor for 80 acre Ranch

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #1  

jjswag

Tractor
None
I am new to TBN as of today. We just purchased an 80 acre ranch and I have been researching tractors. This will be my first tractor as well as land and I am now confused on what HP tractor to purchase. The property has 3 separate fenced light pastures with 5 acres of Homestead in one of the fenced areas. All of the property is flat with two of the pastures having roughly 100 pecan trees spaced out. I will be putting some cattle on it soon and horses in the future. All the dealers keep telling me I need at least 75HP, but I have been considering the 60+ range ie Kubota L5740 and JD 4720 each with a rhino TS12 batwing. I am also considering Case I-H 75C, JD 5083e, LS tractor P7010C, and Branson in the 70 HP range. The tractor will have a cab. The current owner does not produce hay on the property. He has it delivered. He keeps it all mowed with a 15' JD batwing. I will entertain the idea of producing my own hay in the future so I want to buy the right tractor now. Any opinions and guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks!

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #2  
I think your dealers suggestion of 70 HP is pretty close.Hay production is going to dictate your sizeing.With a 70HP you are getting into an AG type tractor vs a CUT(compact utlity tractor) such as the L5740.Longer and wider and weighs more.

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #3  
you need at least a m kubota or a 5000 deere. of the ones you listed the jd 5083 is the only one i would get.

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #4  
i would say a 6040 or the m series kubota that 1st 2 numbers are the horsepower rating of the engine so it would be a 60 hp tractor i say go with a 7040hd that model has all the extras you want and you need get at 2 rear remotes on the back to ran hydro attachments say away from the7040sud its a bare bones tractor you wont be happy with it i have that model and consider the 8560 the 60s are the same as the 40s but with more emissions junk on them the 7040hd on up comes with a front limited slip standard the 7040sud doesnot u can get the 3pt lift assist cylinders on the 7040hd and up that 2x your 3pt lift i hope that helps i dont know about john deere case ih etc DT86 runs case ih

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #5  
oh welcome to TBN

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #6  
IMG_5190.JPGDK45 LG Round Bale.jpgboss baling (800x600).jpgTop Wagon.jpgIMG_1417 (800x600).jpg

I agree I would not go less than 70hp. What I have is a 1974 4430 AG tractor with cab of 120hp for tilling, mowing hay and round baling. I then got a new Kioti DK45SC with cab for moving bales, manure handling, raking and baling with the small baler. Having two tractors on 80 acres plus making hay will be much easier than trying to manage with a manage with one.

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #7  
I have a 4520cab and while it is a nice tractor I don't recommend it for your needs. Get something much larger, around 75 pto hp.

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #8  
jjswag said:
I am new to TBN as of today. We just purchased an 80 acre ranch and I have been researching tractors. This will be my first tractor as well as land and I am now confused on what HP tractor to purchase. The property has 3 separate fenced light pastures with 5 acres of Homestead in one of the fenced areas. All of the property is flat with two of the pastures having roughly 100 pecan trees spaced out. I will be putting some cattle on it soon and horses in the future. All the dealers keep telling me I need at least 75HP, but I have been considering the 60+ range ie Kubota L5740 and JD 4720 each with a rhino TS12 batwing. I am also considering Case I-H 75C, JD 5083e, LS tractor P7010C, and Branson in the 70 HP range. The tractor will have a cab. The current owner does not produce hay on the property. He has it delivered. He keeps it all mowed with a 15' JD batwing. I will entertain the idea of producing my own hay in the future so I want to buy the right tractor now. Any opinions and guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks!

I think that you would want to consider a tractor in the TYM line. They make nice tractors and are cheaper than anything else that compares. The 70hp is called the t723

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch #9  
On the minimum side would suggest Kubota M7040,NH powerstar 4.75,Case 75c
Then Kubota M8560,JD 5083E,Mahindra 8560
Any of the first three will pull a 12ft mower and the last three will be good for 15ft.
I pull a 5x4 baler with 64pto HP. The last three would be good for a 4x6 or 5x5 baler.
I will also suggest a sprayer for fence-lines and pasture. I also have a 12ft drag for the cow/horse pies.

/ Tractor for 80 acre Ranch
Thanks for all of the suggestions. There is a used 2010 JD 5085M with 3 remotes, loader, hay spear, 100 hrs. Asking upper 50's. Don't know if that is too high or not. There is a Case I-H dealer 8 miles from the property. All the other dealers are probably 15-20 miles away. I was also looking into the TYMs but the dealer is 100+ miles away.