Buying Advice first time buyer

/ first time buyer #1  

bouquina

Tractor
buying soon
I have decided to buy a compact tractor. I live in the hills of western ny and get plenty of lake effect snow so a front mount blower is first on the list. I would also like a FEL for moving firewood around, mulch and dirt. I also have a mild junk yard out back of the house I bought that I would like to start scraping out. I am not going to mow with it, I use an atv with 6' pull behind for that. I would like to possibly brush hog 2 acres of field or use a log splitter with it but that won't impact the choice much. I have been looking at the jd 2000 series, kubota b series, kioti ck 20, and mahindra max 25. I still need to check out Massey Ferguson. What do you guys think?

/ first time buyer #2  
Throw LS in the mix....there's a dealer in Eden.

/ first time buyer #3  
:welcome: to the forum

It sounds like you are off to a good start by trying out the different brands. Since you have a junkyard a larger tractor may be of more benefit to you, something like a Kubota L or JD 3000 series. The tractors you mention would be capable of doing everything else well. I know that moving a old junk cars around can be tough, they sink into the ground, brakes freeze up and tires that won't pump up. I just recommend that you look at each of the tractors and see what you think is built the best and how easy it will be to service. See what tractor feels the most comfortable to you too. Once you find the you like the best get prices from at least 3 dealers to be sure you are getting a good deal. Be very careful when you are comparing tractors you are comparing apples to apples for example on the 3 point hitch lift capacity most rate it at 24" but some show it at the pivot so you get a bigger number. The same also goes for the loader specs. I have seen quite a few Kioti CK 20's and Bobcat CT122's on here that had the front axle fail.

Last edited:
   / first time buyer #4  
bouquina, Welcome to the forum there are lots of guys here from your locale. :welcome:

Please clarify whether the junkyard needs to be considered when buying the tractor as this would impact the size of the tractor needed. If you are clearing the junkyard out it might be better to rent a large tractor for this and then buy the smaller tractor you mention.

There are alot of good choices for compacts in the 25 to 30 hp range and I recommend you try all of the seats out before settling on any in particular. Some of the features to consider carefully can vary quite a bit, hydraulic add ons are pricey as an example. Check them out and post your questions here.

/ first time buyer
bouquina, Welcome to the forum there are lots of guys here from your locale. :welcome:

Please clarify whether the junkyard needs to be considered when buying the tractor as this would impact the size of the tractor needed. If you are clearing the junkyard out it might be better to rent a large tractor for this and then buy the smaller tractor you mention.

There are alot of good choices for compacts in the 25 to 30 hp range and I recommend you try all of the seats out before settling on any in particular. Some of the features to consider carefully can vary quite a bit, hydraulic add ons are pricey as an example. Check them out and post your questions here.

Good point on the junk yard. This is a temporary project and not something I would do long term. Renting for this is a good idea. I guess what I was asking with this, is which manufactuer makes the strongest FEL for a tractor that is mid to high 20's in HP. I would rather stick to a snowblower that is no bigger than 54". So I would need a tractor no wider than 54" or whatever the size of the blower is. Is seems that when I go this small I start to worry about a wimpy FEL. But I don't really know what wimpy is when it comes to moving gravel, firewood, or dirt.