Comparison Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max

/ Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max #1  

MahindraDon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra
I know this is going to be a war of the red vs oranges but I had to do this after seeing corporate Kubota bash the Mahindra Max and then not allow comments. It is kind of a long video and please keep in mind I don't want to start a war, I just want to defend my brand against the attack launched by Kubota Corporation!
The Mahindra Max Advantage - No more BX - YouTube

/ Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max #2  
I don't have a dog in ths fight, but I like your spunk.

The front facing steering cylinders and gear is something that always puzzled me. Both the Kubotas and Masseys I looked at a couple of years ago had them hanging proudly out front begging to be kissed. Having them tucked behind the axles makes a fella feel a little better when he's off the beaten path.

/ Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max #3  
I don't have a dog in this fight either but it seems the Mahidra Max is more the size of Kubota "B" series than the "BX" series.

Just my $.02

/ Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max #4  
The attitude on the video would keep me out of the Mahindra store as I posted on a related thread, comparing an old BX2200 to a new Mahindra shot any legitimate arguments in the head. I thought the video was childish and in poor taste; didn't care much for the one from Kubota either as I tire of these Kubota v Mahindra, John Deere v Kubota, Tundra v Cheverolet. I own several different brands and my Kubota/NH dealer has never run down another manufacturer nor has my John Deere dealer, I would go elsewhere if they did. Tell me the good points about your machine and I will make up my mind.

/ Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max #5  
Mahindradon,

I just want to say maybe Mahindra could work on its training for their represenatives. I actually went to a dealer that was piss poor to say the least. The guy barely got off the stool behind the counter to hand me a flyer and write down a price. He offered nothing more....... oh unless you count the gesture to the rack of flyers that I could look at to find what I wanted. I was turned off, as I thought if I am looking at spending this kind of money and the guy can't give me the time of day where am I going to be when I need/want something. I then see your makeshift video on a laptop from your basement with an attitude. WOW! You should learn that as a service/sales person your image is part of the package and with what I have seen from 2 Mahindra persons .......well I guess thats why I don't own one. Not about color I have green in my garage too. I just want a "QUALITY" person behind the equipment that I choose to spend my hard earned $$$$ on.

/ Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max #6  
Mahindradon,

I just want to say maybe Mahindra could work on its training for their represenatives. I actually went to a dealer that was piss poor to say the least. The guy barely got off the stool behind the counter to hand me a flyer and write down a price. He offered nothing more....... oh unless you count the gesture to the rack of flyers that I could look at to find what I wanted. I was turned off, as I thought if I am looking at spending this kind of money and the guy can't give me the time of day where am I going to be when I need/want something. I then see your makeshift video on a laptop from your basement with an attitude. WOW! You should learn that as a service/sales person your image is part of the package and with what I have seen from 2 Mahindra persons .......well I guess thats why I don't own one. Not about color I have green in my garage too. I just want a "QUALITY" person behind the equipment that I choose to spend my hard earned $$$$ on.

Love the anecdotes. Last I was at a Mahindra dealer, I was impressed by the machines, but not so much by the fact that selling tractors was a sideline to a car rental business, and dealer prep prior to customer delivery was being done in the middle of the parking lot since they didn't have a service bay. Every Mahindra dealer I've been to has been staffed by fervent believers in the Mahindra brand, but this enthusiasm hasn't been expressed in a factual or knowledgeable manner. I suspect that with the huge number of compact tractor brands on the market during the past few years - John Deere, Kubota, Mahindra, Kioti, LS, Bobcat, New Holland, Branson, Montana, Yanmar, Cub Cadet, Massey Fergusen, ... (you get the idea) - that there are more brands to go around than there are quality dealerships to sell them. I do think that with Mahindra's size, financial resources, and increasing sales in the American compact tractor market, they will likely begin turning the screws on their dealer network in order to present themselves as a top tier manufacturer and distinguish themselves from some of the shakier companies with, let's say, more poorly engineered products. This doesn't mean $5 million showrooms, but it does mean a minimum level of professionalism, a pretense of a showroom, service capabilities, and not a pile of brochures next to an ashtray in a run-down shack on a gravel lot. I'd have a Mahindra in the shed if the quality of their dealer network was commensurate with the apparent quality of their newer Mitsubishi built machines.

/ Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max #7  
1) Mahindra put's some impressive numbers on paper for the Max 25, especially when comparing there "Cut" to everyone else's SCUT.

I don't give a crap what Mahindra is calling their Max 22-25, they are unlike any other SCUT on the market. JD and Bota both have MUCH closer comparisons to the Max Series. Mahindra’s description of the Max as being a SCUT is nothing more then marketing spin. I don’t care if they want to call it a big red dog, a SCUT, a CUT or door mouse. The “FACT” is, there are much closer comparisons to be made. All Brands employ marketing spin. ALL OF THEM. But to my knowledge, Mahindra is the first to seriously attempt to compare very Dissimilar tractors. This SHADY snake oil salesman approach is echoed in Dapper Dons “INDE” film using a 10-12 year old Kubota SCUT, that would not have been a proper comparison even if it were brand spanking new.

2) Mahindra repeatedly claims that their MAX series tractors are just that, "Tractors" and not lawn mowers. More snake oil, this is misleading and completely out of context. The Massey GC series tractor is as much a lawn mower as my King Quad. That said, it is no "Tractor" in the generally accepted use of the word either. You certainly would not compare the GC series to the MF1500 series. And as far as other CUT's go, The max is about average in power on every level. Indeed, Kubota has a point given the power to weight ratio that the MAX is underpowered compared with other similar sized tractors.

3) Where the Max Series falls flat on its face is when it comes to Ergonomics. I will say this for the MAX, They are built like Sherman tanks, beefy in every way. But they are equally as comfortable and refined. I could go into a tirade expounding on how primitive the MAX is in terms of refinement. But suffice to say; claiming that the Mahindra MAX is anything more then it is, is nothing more then bluster. The kicker for me being, when comparing fairly to truly similar models form other brands, the competition is no less "Beefy". But they are far more refined.

4) More weight is neither good nor bad in and of itself. In certain circumstances, more weight is much better. However, given what the "SCUT" class of tractor was created for, more weight is not necessarily a good thing. In fact, I would wager that for most home owners whose primary playground is their yard, that more weight is actually a non selling point. But Mahindra harps on and on about how much "Better Built" the MAX is. Better? I think the best you could say is that it is different. Personally, if I needed a tractor of more significant weight, Id opt for a 28+ HP CUT. And As I am a Massey Guy myself, Id MUCH rather have a MF1529, or a MF 1533 over anything Mahindra offers, based in no small part on how Primitive the styling and ergonomics are on the Mahindra compared to the other top brands. That’s not to say that some people won’t find the Mahindra appealing. But what you like or dislike in a tractor is subjective. However, the fact that the Mahindra lacks creature comforts and refinements that are present on the competition is just that, a Fact.

5) I have seen all the videos that Mahindra Don has put out. Most of them seem on the up and up, in spite of bragging up things as positives that most would consider to be negatives. But this last video he put out basically clinched it for me. This travesty of a video seems to be part of a culture at Mahindra. My local Dealer when I went to look at the MAX 25 didn't even know how to put a backhoe on the tractor, after claiming he sold 50 units in 2012. He could not speak to how easy or not easy it is to take the backhoe on and off. His general lack of knowledge about his own product was frankly appalling, and it went deeper then just the backhoe. Equally appalling was how he dismissed every other brand of tractor and "Non" Mahindra branded attachments. I was not aware King Kutter was made from balsa wood and cheap plastic. All the equipment I have ever seen from King Kutter has at least been "Good". Between the two of these dealers, it’s apparent that there is a HUGE lack of professionalism and knowledge. One Might forgive them for not knowing a dang thing about their competition. (Me not included). But Misrepresenting or flat out not knowing details of your own equipment is just pathetic.

Rant aside, Mahindra probably makes a pretty Decent Tractor in terms of functionality. But they are PRIMITIVE compared to most modern name brand tractors. More Power and weight is not necessarily the end all and be all in terms of efficiency. Mahindra’s are generally speaking, cheaper in terms of price then other brands. But there is a good reason for it. Saving money while giving up refinement may be a perfectly legitimate niche. No doubt there are loads of people to whom the MAX is very appealing. And that is great. There is certainly room for a heavily built “TRACTOR” with a reasonable price tag. In fact, I don’t hate the tractor. But the marketing and these home grown rock um sock um videos making ridiculous comparisons is turning potential customers off. It says a lot about the people that you are going to potentially spend a lot of money with. The tractor is only part of the equation. The people behind it count for just as much, probably more. And unfortunately the people behind Mahindra from corporate on down are proving to be rather disingenuous. The tractor is what it is. Be proud of it. Sell it on it’s strengths.

In any case, after seeing Don's video, seeing Mahindra’s questionable marketing strategy, and seeing first hand how my local dealer operates, I will never own a Mahindra. There are far too many options available that are preferable.

/ Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max #8  
My local Mahindra dealer told me if he had the money to pay for his inventory (instead of financing) he would not be in the tractor business. Seemed kind of strange hearing that when I was looking for a new tractor and a good dealer? Shame to, because he's just down the road. My Kubota dealer is one hour away, but worth the drive...

/ Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max #9  
I also don't care for Mahindra's trickery. The Max 22/25 is far from a 'subcompact tractor' and I've stated so on numerous occasions. And I will also point out the differences to anyone who is interested in buying a 'subcompact tractor'.
Mahindra took their old 'compact tractor', changed the engine, put smaller tires on it, and labeled it (out of it's category) as a 'subcompact'. Not an appropriate way to to business( IMHO).

/ Kubota BX vs Mahindra Max #10  
Is it priced like a subcompact? I don't think anyone would complain if you could purchase a ford f150 for the price of a Chevy canyon, lol. It does look bigger for comparison sake but, price wise they may be in the same ballpark.