Dump trailer, Finally decided what I am buying.

/ Dump trailer, Finally decided what I am buying.
Is your trailer wired so, it will charge the dump battery from the truck when plugged in ? Mine wasn't but is now

I haven't picked it up yet.
We just got 12" of fresh snow last night so I didn't want to make the 1 hour trip today.
I'm sure it is, but if not I will connect the battery to the constant 12+ lead on the cord.
I may add a solar charger. the "Legend" brand that I had been considering came with a solar charger.

/ Dump trailer, Finally decided what I am buying. #22  
Here is diagram of the trailer wiring. Depending on the vehicle you may have to run a wire for the charge. I think some dump trailers have a charge wire already hooked up on them.

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Last edited:
   / Dump trailer, Finally decided what I am buying. #23  
I just sold my fifth wheel camper last summer.
My truck is already set up with brake controller and 7 pin wiring harness.
I just bought an 8 foot extension cord for the trailer harness.
I mounted my trailer connector in the bed for the fifth wheel so now I needed a longer cord to reach to the dump trailer.
I'm still waiting for my new receiver locking pin.
Mailman never made it to the house with the storm today.

/ Dump trailer, Finally decided what I am buying. #25  
I think if it is a high quality trailer it will have the charge system already in place. Mine has a controller to prevent high amperage flow which might damage the wiring. It is surprising how fast I can draw down a battery on mine if I ave a short haul so it doesn't get a chance to really recharge. The controller has a green light when the battery is being supplied power from the truck, but when it reaches the heat limit it cuts out. It really shows when dumping because when the green light is on, the motor will really spin (this is with a significantly depleted battery) but when the light goes off, it slows to a crawl. I solved the problem by putting a second battery in the box (my battery box has a large tool carry space) and run jumper cables to the main battery when I'm doing a lot of short haul dumping, and especially when I use my tractor for doing the ailing because it doesn't have power for charging.

/ Dump trailer, Finally decided what I am buying. #26  
The Deka Marine Battery in my Texas Pride brand dump trailer of similar size would give me 7 dumps before a recharge was needed. I would not push it that low all the time because it will sulfate up on you. I forgot and left mine mostly discharged for about 3 months and it was never the same afterward and lasted only about 2 years.

The Deka Marine Battery in my Texas Pride brand dump trailer of similar size would give me 7 dumps before a recharge was needed. I would not push it that low all the time because it will sulfate up on you. I forgot and left mine mostly discharged for about 3 months and it was never the same afterward and lasted only about 2 years.

Dealer said the new trailer will dump 6-7 times without a recharge.
I have battery maintainers for my truck and tractor and they are always hooked up when I am not using them.
I have one for the new trailer also and RV power outlets on my property to plug it in.
I will probably look for a marine shore line connector and mount it to the battery/pump box.
150bbi_0.jpg
Marinco On-Board Charger Inlet 150BBI - iboats

/ Dump trailer, Finally decided what I am buying. #28  
Is your trailer wired so, it will charge the dump battery from the truck when plugged in ? Mine wasn't but is now

I got a new CAM Superline this fall. There's a built in battery charger. There's a port on the battery box to plug in an extension cord. Should be a handy feature.
Like the OP, I have the ramps stored underneath. I also went with the combo tailgate & tarp roller. Went with 12' so that I can get a Bobcat S185 into it.

Well I took the day off and picked or the dump trailer.
Dealer didn't have the lunette ring so I had to use the 2-5/16" ball coupler.
I decided to order one off the internet when I got home.
The trailer had white spoke wagon wheels but the dealer didn't have a spare to match.
So I had them swap tires and rims from another trailer that had silver Mag Mods.
I like the looks of them better anyway.
I was home just after lunch and started fabricating a tarp roller.
A replacement mesh tarp is around $75 - $85.
I can't see why roller bearings are needed for something this simple.
I am using 1" bar, pipe brackets and 1" sleeve collars to hold it in place.
The trailer has been sitting outside for awhile and the silicone around the seams is weathered and peeling so I will reseal them this spring.
Empty the truck didn't even know it was there, but there is enough tounge weight that it rode much nicer down the counrty roads.
NEW DUMP TRAILER 006.JPG NEW DUMP TRAILER 007.JPG
NEW DUMP TRAILER 011.JPG NEW DUMP TRAILER 012.JPG
NEW DUMP TRAILER 013.JPG NEW DUMP TRAILER 014.JPG
NEW DUMP TRAILER 015.JPG NEW DUMP TRAILER 018.JPG
Tom

/ Dump trailer, Finally decided what I am buying. #30  
It looks nice Tom. I like the silver modular wheels, they are favorite trailer wheel.