John Deere 3720 or 4720

/ John Deere 3720 or 4720 #1  

123nick

Tractor
jd 4720
Hello all. I am trying to decide between a new 3720 or a clean used 4720 that a local dealer just got in. I have about 8 acres of rolling meadow that I want to hay. I will also need machine for general property maintance. I need a loader and backhoe on the machine. Does the 3720 have enough power and weight to run smaller hay equiptment? The 4720 has 650 hours of light duty use. Cost is very close with same equiptment/hydraulic options. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Than you

/ John Deere 3720 or 4720 #2  
My first concern would be that 8 acres is not enough to bother with owning hay equipment. Older worn out hay equipment is no fun and is likely to break down when you need it the most. Either tractor should be sufficient for most things you do on 8 acres though I definately prefer the 4x20 sized machines. I prefer the planetary final drives on my 4520 over the spur gear setup in the 3x20 tractors. Also prefer the overall larger size of the machine for most tasks but not knowing anything about the used tractor personally it would be hard to offer specific advise.

/ John Deere 3720 or 4720 #3  
Yes, what Steve says. I use a 4520 for hay and having owned a 3320 in the past it's too small a frame for comfortably doing hay. Could it do it? yes but there's a difference between what you can do and what works well. Besides, the loader lift capacity is substantially better on the 4000 series and you will eventually find a way to use it all and wish you had more....

/ John Deere 3720 or 4720
Thank you both for the quick reply. I am leaning twords the 4720. The machine is an early 2011. Do you have any concerns with the jd diesel vs. the yanmar. Thanks

/ John Deere 3720 or 4720 #5  
Thank you both for the quick reply. I am leaning twords the 4720. The machine is an early 2011. Do you have any concerns with the jd diesel vs. the yanmar. Thanks

No concerns about either. They are both good engines. They both have a good track record.