Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #111  
Yep. I work in mud in the summer and snow and ice in the winter. The R4s get caked up real quick with wet clay and turn into slicks.

I've also found that the tires do a whole lot less damage going up grassy hills in 4wd than 2wd (more tires pulling the weight). Then when you go back down the hills, I'm much less likely to start sliding and skidding when in 4wd. Turning on the lawn is obviously better in 2wd though....

No, I haven't loaded the tires. Though it would help in certain tasks, I'd just sink faster in the mud and wreck even more havoc on the lawn.

Only time I ever engage 4wd on my tractor except when moving snow is when I am going upgrade (about a 16% slope) to the upper level of my big barn. Even with the MMM installed, one of the rear turf tires begins spinning on the grass halfway up. And that is moving forward, trying to back up means it loses traction at the bottom instead of the middle. I doubt if there would be much difference if the tires were a different tread.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #112  
Only time I ever engage 4wd on my tractor except when moving snow is when I am going upgrade (about a 16% slope) to the upper level of my big barn. Even with the MMM installed, one of the rear turf tires begins spinning on the grass halfway up. And that is moving forward, trying to back up means it loses traction at the bottom instead of the middle. I doubt if there would be much difference if the tires were a different tread.
We needed the 4x4 on the tractor just this last weekend when one of our old pygmy goats had to be put down/ the goat had to be buried, and I dug a bucket wide incline ending in a 4 foot+ hole also had to dig thru about 8" of snow to get to the dirt. Anyway 4x4 is more than nice to have, it really doesn't seem to get in the way when not needed and is virtually mandatory when it is needed...

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #113  
The bottom line? 4WD is a must and buy a bigger tractor than you think you'll need because you will end up needing it.

I could say the opposite. When you have lots of landscaping, you need to maneuver around without taking down hedges, greenhouses, etc. In these instances, you will end up needing a smaller tractor, not a bigger one. Best thing I ever did was buy a smaller one.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #114  
Well, I think I will stick to either JD, Kubota, or Mahindra. Those dealers are close by. I'm not at all opposed to used, but I'm not about to drive 400 miles to look at potential candidates. Time to spend some money.

To the OP.
You may want to ask with your dealer about a rental return. JD rents to a business for a short time, like harvest time, then sells the tractor. The tractor is sold as new, with full warrenty, and 0% financing.
I am in the process of buying a JD 5055E with 30hrs on it. My future tractor came with a loader, but here is an example of a similar machine. http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7298289, and another http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7500857.
I saved a ton of money and got a much bigger/better tractor than I could have afforded, had I bought a non rental.

Good luck, Bill:thumbsup:

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #115  
From some of the previous posts about 4x4 it seems some of you guys are operating your tractors in awfully slick (non snow) conditions and using your tractors in ways the OP didn't list. Taking a sliding trip down a wet grass hill with no rear traction or brakes and a loader full of whatever makes me think the tractor should be in the shed until it is dry. That isn't sound justification for 4x4. It is a recipe for disaster if new users are convinced that the front end of a 4x4 tractor is going give 100% control in slick hilly conditions. My BIL has a Kubota M5700 4x4 with FEL it has taken more than one of us on one of those trips in DRY conditions on grass. Safety whether wet or dry should always be a concern. To a new user the perception given that 4x4 provides added safety is misguided. A new user needs a bit more respect for wet and slick conditions.

I will agree that 4x4 gives added traction in some situations (like moving snow) but to call it essential for a hobby farmer is a stretch. Many of you certainly believe for your use (like skidding logs and working firewood in the woods) that 4x4 is essential and I am sure justifiably so. And I am equally sure that I am in the minority that believes 4x4 isn't a requirement in South Georgia (the OP's location) any more than it is a requirement in these red clay hills in Stokes County NC. When it is wet, the tractor stays in the barn here. Operating in wet conditions does more damage here than good -4x4 or not.

It is understood that some of you don't have that option and you must work in wet conditions-I say engage the 4x4 and carry on!

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #116  
To the OP.
You may want to ask with your dealer about a rental return. JD rents to a business for a short time, like harvest time, then sells the tractor. The tractor is sold as new, with full warrenty, and 0% financing.
I am in the process of buying a JD 5055E with 30hrs on it. My future tractor came with a loader, but here is an example of a similar machine. http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7298289
I saved a ton of money and got a much bigger/better tractor than I could have afforded, had I bought a non rental.

Good luck, Bill:thumbsup:

I didnt know they sold rental tractors that way. Last summer i bought a new dzr and my JD dealer told me that they sold rental rental returns this way. He said however much money the dozer had rented for, that this much was taken off the purchase price and still sold as new with new warranty. Too bad they didnt have the size i wanted.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #117  
I didnt know they sold rental tractors that way. Last summer i bought a new dzr and my JD dealer told me that they sold rental rental returns this way. He said however much money the dozer had rented for, that this much was taken off the purchase price and still sold as new with new warranty. Too bad they didnt have the size i wanted.

Another interesting thing. JD is offering (on some models) $1,500 off if you buy two impliments with the tractor. If you are already getting a loader, add a middle buster for $200 and get $1,500 off.

"Too bad they didnt have the size i wanted."
A tree farm had rented several tractors, most of the were rather large. The 5055 was the smallest rental in the contract, so I was lucky.

"Safety whether wet or dry should always be a concern. To a new user the perception given that 4x4 provides added safety is misguided. A new user needs a bit more respect for wet and slick conditions."

I will agree that 4WD isn't a must have. I have owned several 2wd machines. However 4WD does give you four wheel braking and added safety as a result. Going down a muddy slope isn't a good idea no matter what your operating. There is safer, and there is safe. I would say that under those conditions 4WD is "safer".

Best, Bill

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #118  
Another interesting thing. JD is offering (on some models) $1,500 off if you buy two impliments with the tractor. If you are already getting a loader, add a middle buster for $200 and get $1,500 off.

"Too bad they didnt have the size i wanted."
A tree farm had rented several tractors, most of the were rather large. The 5055 was the smallest rental in the contract, so I was lucky.

"Safety whether wet or dry should always be a concern. To a new user the perception given that 4x4 provides added safety is misguided. A new user needs a bit more respect for wet and slick conditions."

I will agree that 4WD isn't a must have. I have owned several 2wd machines. However 4WD does give you four wheel braking and added safety as a result. Going down a muddy slope isn't a good idea no matter what your operating. There is safer, and there is safe. I would say that under those conditions 4WD is "safer".

Best, Bill
Another reason to purchase a 4x4 tractor that I don't believe has been covered yet is re-sale value the OP could by a 2 wheel drive, and it may serve his purpose, but 4x4 just seem to hold their value and if someday he should want to trade up or sell, the demand is generally higher on the 4x4 machines, There is an exception of course, the price of older 2 wheel drive tractors makes them a great candidate for a more limited- buy in budget and is the reason I started with a 2 wheel drive myself... By the way, Wonder How the OP search is going

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #120  
Blasphemy!
Those words are NOT to be spoken on TBN!

I said smaller, but not cheaper....hence the B21. :)

Here's what my "smaller" B21 drug up the hill this past week.

DSC01931_zps5156ba14.jpg

This is part of the slope I was working and believe me, I needed 4WD. See the poison oak in the circle? The whole area I cleaned was just like that crop, only filled in solid. 4WD helps me drive over it going uphill when first knocking it over.

DSC01943_zps0e00d117.jpg

DSC01957_zps884ad550.jpg