Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #121  
To a new user the perception given that 4x4 provides added safety is misguided. A new user needs a bit more respect for wet and slick conditions.

I will agree that 4x4 gives added traction in some situations (like moving snow)

You realize that those two statements are fairly contradictory, right? Added traction increases safety in those instances when it's needed.

Nobody said anyone should do anything crazy, but the reality is 4WD can make for safer operations at times....that's not really in question.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #122  
Sure when the statements are taken out of context they appear contradictory.

One has to do with new users and the perception that they may get reading some of the posts that 4x4 will provide some significantly greater safety in slick or wet conditions. 4x4 will certainly slide or get stuck in wet conditions it is not a substitute for careful evaluation of conditions prior to operation. I believe there is a current thread of a nice John Deere stuck on a creek bank in the snow. It certainly happens to experienced operators.

Case in point http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273746&p=3227811#post3227811

Moving snow for many TBNers is necessary and I concede that 4x4 is essential IF that is a part of your regular operations AND purpose for owning a tractor.

The question is does the OP from southern Georgia NEED 4x4? I still think not. He is not likely to move much snow and as a hobby farmer wet/slick operations are generally optional. That's the beauty of TBN - the civil difference of opinion.

As for anyone doing something crazy - I believe operation on a wet grass hill with a full FEL bucket as previously posted represents crazy 4x4 or or not!

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #123  
Moving snow for many TBNers is necessary and I concede that 4x4 is essential IF that is a part of your regular operations AND purpose for owning a tractor.

I don't move any snow with my 4wd tractor, and I couldn't get by easily without it.

There are a lot if reasons aside from moving snow that enter into it. See, that's the funny thing about the "you don't really need it" crowd. Other than added expense, and marginal increases in maintenance costs, when is having 4wd going to be a problem? Pretty much never. There are, however, many times when it's handy, or necessary....and it certainly can make operations safer in some situations. So, from a functional aspect, it's almost never at a disadvantage to 2wd.

I like to ask one simple question to determine which setup is really "better". Two outwardly identical machines are parked in front of you. One has 4wd, the other does not. I offer you either one, absolutely free, because you were my 10k customer.....which do you pick? :dance1:

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #124  
You are getting far from the OP's original question does he need 4x4? Not really in Southern Georgia on a hobby farm.

Is 4x4 a convenience for some? Of course. Is 4x4 necessary for some? Yes. Is it a necessity for all? Of course not. Plenty of farming gets done successfully without 4x4. 4x4 does more to get people into situations they otherwise shouldn't be in. See the following thread as an example

Ballast Planted a tractor, hoping for bumper crop!

I get along just fine with 2wd. Would I take a 4x4 tractor if given to me? You know I would (and that's a false choice btw). Do I require one to operate this 250 farm? No. It was operated since 1948 until around 2005 without one.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #125  
Oh I forgot, PM me and I'll send delivery instructions for that free tractor! Will it be here by Saturday?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #126  
Personally, 4wd would be on my list of required features if I was in a part of GA where the red clay is slippier than snot when wet, there is any kind of slope to the ground and you get sudden torrential downpours in the summer (that is how it was when I lived near Marietta and worked for an electrician around Atlanta and up into North GA).

Aaron Z

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #127  
Sure when the statements are taken out of context they appear contradictory.

One has to do with new users and the perception that they may get reading some of the posts that 4x4 will provide some significantly greater safety in slick or wet conditions. 4x4 will certainly slide or get stuck in wet conditions it is not a substitute for careful evaluation of conditions prior to operation. I believe there is a current thread of a nice John Deere stuck on a creek bank in the snow. It certainly happens to experienced operators.

Case in point Ballast Planted a tractor, hoping for bumper crop!

The question is does the OP from southern Georgia NEED 4x4? I still think not. He is not likely to move much snow and as a hobby farmer wet/slick operations are generally optional. That's the beauty of TBN - the civil difference of opinion.

As for anyone doing something crazy - I believe operation on a wet grass hill with a full FEL bucket as previously posted represents crazy 4x4 or or not!

If we didn't routinely do this in my part of the country, we would keep our tractors parked an awful lot. My M8540 with Ag tires and a full bucket is extremely stable on wet or dry grass, makes no difference as it digs into the dirt. I don't operate my tractors in the mud on hills, but cattle farmers here routinely haul big round bales in these conditions without incident. There is a point beyond which some prefer not to go, but when raising livestock, you really have no choice.

Agreed, not everyone "needs" a 4WD, we farmed with 2WD for years and still have some, we just don't buy ay new ones without 4WD, "needed" or not we find them to be preferable even on our flatland farm.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #128  
If we didn't routinely do this in my part of the country, we would keep our tractors parked an awful lot. My M8540 with Ag tires and a full bucket is extremely stable on wet or dry grass, makes no difference as it digs into the dirt. I don't operate my tractors in the mud on hills, but cattle farmers here routinely haul big round bales in these conditions without incident. There is a point beyond which some prefer not to go, but when raising livestock, you really have no choice.

Agreed, not everyone "needs" a 4WD, we farmed with 2WD for years and still have some, we just don't buy ay new ones without 4WD, "needed" or not we find them to be preferable even on our flatland farm.

I just went through the 2WD/4WD decision myself. I was able to get 4WD in the same type tractor for an additional $4,000. That's a big extra in my mind, but I felt I would be getting a more usefull, safer, machine in the end, and it will also be easier to resell, if I ever need to.
If I couldn't have come up with the additional 4K, I would have bought the 2WD, and I'm sure it would have worked fine.
It's not that 2WD is bad, it's just that more often than not, 4WD is better. It's if the additional cost can be justified for your own situation/conditions.

Bill

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #129  
My needs vary greatly from time to time. This past weekend I repaired a creek crossing that flooded this winter. Would not have been possible with 2wd. Trust me I have tried before to no avail with previous tractor. At one point I had to use bucket to assist with pushing out of bog and also to help pull up embankment. This coming weekend I will be planting sweet corn in 36" single rows and cultivating as needed in the future.

Waiting on the creek situation to change was not an option. It won't improve with time and I needed across to check some hunting areas on my fourwheeler.

Have been without the 4wd option before, but do not plan to be without again. My grandfather farmed the land for years without 4wd, but his needs and mine were different. Have yet to hear anyone regret owning a 4wd unit and if loader equipped it makes a huge difference.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #130  
You are getting far from the OP's original question does he need 4x4? Not really in Southern Georgia on a hobby farm.

Is 4x4 a convenience for some? Of course. Is 4x4 necessary for some? Yes. Is it a necessity for all? Of course not. Plenty of farming gets done successfully without 4x4. 4x4 does more to get people into situations they otherwise shouldn't be in. See the following thread as an example

Ballast Planted a tractor, hoping for bumper crop!

I get along just fine with 2wd. Would I take a 4x4 tractor if given to me? You know I would (and that's a false choice btw). Do I require one to operate this 250 farm? No. It was operated since 1948 until around 2005 without one.

A tractor isn't a necessity for a hobby farmer but it sure is nice to have. Whether a person chooses 4x2 or 4x4 doesn't affect their judgement. Good judgement is needed to stay out of trouble. A 4x4 tractor can aid an operator with good judgement in getting out of trouble or avoiding trouble. I have both 4x2 and 4x4 tractors and have enough experience to avoid trouble in most cases, don't traverse a slope that is too steep and stay off the tractors when conditions are too wet. I have made lots of mistakes and will continue to do so but I don't blame the tractors for my stupidity.

Most tractors for small operations are sold with a fel from what I see today. The fel adds quite a bit of weight to the front end and this in turn can be used to gain increased traction if utilized with a 4x4 tractor. It isn't rocket science in that you have two load bearing axles that can vary their percentage of loading depending on how you use the tractor, being able to sum their tractive forces will give optimum results.

Last edited: