Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

Default Re: Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?

Had a 68 hp 2030 JD (1974) for 11 years. It did everything I needed on my 120 acres - mostly wooded and hilly land. Primary use was brush cutting and box blading mile gravel drive. The FEL was hefty and awfully useful. I downsized to a 3038e a year ago. I needed to lower the unit to ease mounting it, and to allow my wife - she of metal knees and hips - to get on. And the 4WD is good for snow.

Without the "getting on" problem, I'd have stayed with the 2WD and added chains for snow. For just messing around on 15 acres, I'd shoot for an old JD or similar. It won't cost you much and you'll get a lot for your money. I bought mine for $7K and sold it for $5K... Could 'a got more with more patience.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD

It is my opinion there are big differences between the utility tractors today and the older row crop tractors. For example, I purchased a 50 hp JD 5105 thinking it would be as capable as an older 52 hp Ford 4000. Both units being 2wd, the older Ford would likely have dragged the newer JD backwards. If the unit is going to have a loader definitely go 4wd and if affordable, would go 4wd irregardless. Have a 4wd JD 5303, 64 hp, now and am very pleased with the change.

Veteran Member

15 acres says small 4x4. You will love the low range in alot of cases. The loader will be smaller but you just make a couple of more passes. Only have the fake hips now ,but you do think twice before getting on and of the bigger tractor a bunch.

Tractor
    JD 3032e

Thanks all. I'm thinking a smaller 4wd will be fine. We never have snow so that's not a concern. No need for a cab or anything like that. This will mainly be a toy for me. I'll use it to maintain trails for my kids motorcycles, bush hog a couple of acres to shoot skeet, etc. It certainly won't get used every day. I'll get to looking.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX 5000

Quote Originally Posted by agsanders View Post
    Thanks all. I'm thinking a smaller 4wd will be fine.
    Hold on to that thought

2WD tractors with FEL are a thing of the past and dont resell easily

Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

Resale is important if you plan to get rid of it someday. We just got rid of an old JD utility, 78 PTO HP utility, 2WD, for $5,000. Going by comparisons we would have expected $15,000 for it in the same condition if it had the MFWD option but my father in law didn't want to pay the $2k extra for it at the time. As for extra maintenance cost, we have 4 MFWD tractors and one 2WD tractor on our main farm. The only front maintenance has been changing oil and that doesn't seem like a lot of money for what we get. Each of the MFWD tractors is second generation for us meaning we have traded off previous MFWD tractors for them so its no something like "just wait, they will break shortly".
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Tractor
    Kubota L3540

I'll chime in in favor of a smaller 4wd. I went from a 45hp 2wd to a 35hp 4wd and although it's not the same comparison you made in your original post, the 4x4 is far superior. You'll use the smaller tractor for more chores near your house, too. Besides, they are cuter, and everyone knows a tractor should be cute
    Kubota L3540 HST
    Kubota L4300 Gear *gone!*
    Ford F-350 6.9L diesel

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

Quote Originally Posted by agsanders View Post
    Thanks all. I'm thinking a smaller 4wd will be fine. We never have snow so that's not a concern. No need for a cab or anything like that. This will mainly be a toy for me. I'll use it to maintain trails for my kids motorcycles, bush hog a couple of acres to shoot skeet, etc. It certainly won't get used every day. I'll get to looking.
    smaller tractor with the extras....
    or larger tractor with extreme basics...

those extras can really pay for themselves.....

AG / R1 tires. would be better for mud like conditions, granted AG tires will more likely tear up the finish lawn around the house though.

TNT (top and tilt) hyd cylinders for 3pt hitch. can really make a difference, being able to adjust angle left to right and back and forward of a scrapper blade, box blade, land plane, even a bush hog. most tractors just come with a turn buckle you need to hop off of tractor and then adjust the top link and a side link to adjust the 3pt hitch implement, but replacing turn buckles with hyd cylinders. can make jobs quicker and put on a better professional look better, once you get experience under your belt.

going for higher up "work lights" rear work light advisable. makes for dealing with hooking/unhooking implements, and maybe another hour or 2 of work before sun completely goes down on you, during spring/fall times of the year.

if there is an option for larger alternator, i might advise getting it, more so if ya plan to get a couple extra work lights on tractor and perhaps thought of adding a winch to the tractor (it helps)

with trees ya got trees that are down, or getting stuck, adding a good rated winch to tractor can always make things easier pull logs out of the woods or getting yourself unstuck, without anyone else the wiser.

FEL (front end loader) with general heavy duty bucket. (not the cheaper wood chip only buckets), would advise a tooth bar for cutting edge, if you plan on digging, 4x4 or MFWD can also help when digging with FEL. granted fel is not the best thing to dig with but it is there.

if ya dealing with a bunch of trees that you want to take down over time or ya chop fire wood. it may be worth while to look at a unit with a backhoe (a 3pt hitch with sub frame advised) to get rid of them ugly stumps.

==============
    kinda of a bad time of the year, but during spring/summer/fall, the forum last couple years tends to be hoping with huge amounts of little extras folks end up adding to there tractor....

chain hooks to the FEL bucket, places to hang 5 gallon buckets, or hooks to hold chains. lights, adding hyd cylinders or gauge wheels to various 3pt implements to make 3pt implement a tad more easier to set to depth or angle better. perhaps going with telescopic lower arm links for 3pt hitch, or going with some sort of quick attach for 3pt hitch or for the FEL.

pallet forks, rear scrapper blade, box blade, land plane, 4in1 bucket, grapple for FEL. bush hog (rotatory cutter), post hole digger / auger. various racks.

figure out what might work best for you.
    Ryan

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD

For the work you describe an older 2wd unit would probably work fine, but if you only want to buy once go with 4wd, especially if adding a FEL. If you have little experience operating a tractor, finding one with hydro transmission may make the operation easier and more enjoyable.
    Last edited by deere5105; 02-10-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

I have two tractors of similar size to what you are considering, a 4wd B3200 kubota with loader and a 2wd 5203 Deere no loader. For what you want the smaller 4wd tractor would probably be better. Between my 5203 and B3200, the B3200 gets used more and it a lot more handy for most jobs. With that said, there is no comparison between the two when it comes to field work, dirt moving, PTO work or pulling. The larger tractor just outworks the smaller one by a wide margin.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast