Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Default Re: Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?

No doubt;30-40 HP ,four wheel drive,FEL equipted compact tractor.Very capable and good all around tractor.The smaller JD mentioned or along the lines of L3240-L3940 kubota.

Tractor
    Deere 3720 Cab

The smaller tractor is your better bet. My property is about the same size as yours, and I cannot think of a single reason I would want a larger tractor. The small size has major advantages. I had a larger tractor (Farmall M) for a year an a half. I sold it because it was too big for most of what I do, and it never got used.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF 35, Mahindra 4035

Quote Originally Posted by nybirdman View Post
    No doubt;30-40 HP ,four wheel drive,FEL equipted compact tractor.Very capable and good all around tractor.The smaller JD mentioned or along the lines of L3240-L3940 kubota.
    I'll jump on the wagon in favor of recommending the 4wd...in addition to to both of the above excellent brands take a look at both the Kioti and Mahindra brands, think you will be pleasantly surprised with them, for what you're describing, take a look at the Mahindra 3616 or 4035...just my 2:cents: worth...best of luck with whatever you purchase !

Rich

Tractor
    JD 3032e

I truly appreciate everyone's replies. I have a fair bit of experience in operating tractors, but not within the last 10-12 years. In that time, the smaller 4wd tractors seem to have exploded in popularity. I think I would prefer hydrostatic just in ease of use, plus I think my wife would feel more comfortable with it should she want to use it. I'm not really sold on a brand. I'll keep my options open. With that said, is there anything in particular I should look for, or avoid? I've never been concerned with specs because I've never owned one before. My experience has been "boy, get on the tractor and mow the field" or "go move those hay bales". Thank you in advance.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Sears GT

this>>>>>>>>>>>>>Whatever you end up getting, I recommend it has 4WD. It makes a significant difference in what a tractor can do.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    this>>>>>>>>>>>>>Whatever you end up getting, I recommend it has 4WD. It makes a significant difference in what a tractor can do.
    AGREE 100%...while a 4wd will cost more up front and require more maintenance, you will get the extra cost back and then some come selling or trade in time, ESPECIALLY when selling because many used tractor buyers want 4wd. At least 90% of the operating hours on my Deere 4210 are mowing hours and less than 5% are operating in 4wd, but the times I NEED 4wd make the extra cost well worth it. Just remember, a bigger tractor is going to consume more fuel per operating hour and with diesel selling for $4.25 per gallon that will be a significant extra expense in the long run. Maybe ten times in 1005 hours of owning my Deere 4210 I have wished for a few more hp or greater lift height but 99% of the time the tractor I have does the job and then some. Stick with a major brand Deere, kubota, or NH, a 30 hp 4wd hydro model is the sweet spot and I'm sure you will be very satisfied with one.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

I'm curious why the only options are either a small 4wd or a larger 2wd?

Depending on what you want, you can spend a whole lot more money on a CUT 4wd than a utility sized 4wd.

So why not consider a larger 4wd and get the best of both worlds?
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    I'm curious why the only options are either a small 4wd or a larger 2wd?

Depending on what you want, you can spend a whole lot more money on a CUT 4wd than a utility sized 4wd.

So why not consider a larger 4wd and get the best of both worlds?
    Interesting take but you left out the smaller world of maneuverability and the ability to go places a larger tractor cannot go on the table.
    Working to increase the scope of the small tractor experience, one quick attach at a time.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Two wheel drive was never not enough for me on flat land, but couldn't even follow a RWD car on graveled hill roads. 4WD cured that.

Bruce

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Quote Originally Posted by magicheater View Post

Interesting take but you left out the smaller world of maneuverability and the ability to go places a larger tractor cannot go on the table.
    I don't disagree with you. It sounds like a smaller tractor would do everything he needs. I'm just pointing out that you don't have to give up 4wd just because your thinking about a bigger tractor.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast