Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #31  
I don't disagree with you. It sounds like a smaller tractor would do everything he needs. I'm just pointing out that you don't have to give up 4wd just because your thinking about a bigger tractor.
For sure, and with the snow you just got a larger tractor, and that would have been better!!

Last edited:
   / Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #32  
All I can say is that my tractor would be very close to worthless with only 2wd. I rarely take mine out of 4wd.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?
So if not a compact 4wd, then what size 4wd? Something like a 5045E? I'm not looking to spend $40k+ on tractor plus implements. Again, this is more a toy than anything. What do I look for?

Someone mentioned a utility sized 4wd for less money than a compact 4wd. It defies logic, but where would I find such a beast?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #35  
Stick with a major brand Deere, Kubota, or NH, a 30 hp 4wd hydro model is the sweet spot and I'm sure you will be very satisfied with one.

That used to be great advice, but with only Kubota building their own smaller tractors here, it's not nearly the benefit it used to be. When I set out to buy a new tractor I researched all the big names, got prices, read feedback, looked at every forum I could find, and came to the conclusion that the major brands are getting their butt's kicked in similar fashion to what happened to the U.S. auto industry not that long ago.

If I'd bought my new tractor from NH, it would say Boomer 50 on it, and it would have cost me $8000 more than buying it from LS....for the identical machine. If parts availability is going to be a problem down the road, it will be for a NH owner as well, so buying the "major name" gets you nothing but added cost, in many cases. That also means the same situation is likely happening when you buy green, or red, or any other color....you're not really getting the benefit of guaranteed lifetime parts and service like you used to.

If they aren't making it here, in their own facility, there's a risk involved as a consumer, and you're not even getting a discount for that risk. Seriously, $8k more for the same machine....that says something just ain't right.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #36  
So if not a compact 4wd, then what size 4wd? Something like a 5045E? I'm not looking to spend $40k+ on tractor plus implements. Again, this is more a toy than anything. What do I look for?

A Kioti DK50SE will cost less than $30k even with a cab!

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #37  
That used to be great advice, but with only Kubota building their own smaller tractors here, it's not nearly the benefit it used to be. When I set out to buy a new tractor I researched all the big names, got prices, read feedback, looked at every forum I could find, and came to the conclusion that the major brands are getting their butt's kicked in similar fashion to what happened to the U.S. auto industry not that long ago.

If I'd bought my new tractor from NH, it would say Boomer 50 on it, and it would have cost me $8000 more than buying it from LS....for the identical machine. If parts availability is going to be a problem down the road, it will be for a NH owner as well, so buying the "major name" gets you nothing but added cost, in many cases. That also means the same situation is likely happening when you buy green, or red, or any other color....you're not really getting the benefit of guaranteed lifetime parts and service like you used to.

If they aren't making it here, in their own facility, there's a risk involved as a consumer, and you're not even getting a discount for that risk. Seriously, $8k more for the same machine....that says something just ain't right.
So what brand would you recommend?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #38  
Since you are looking at this as just a toy so to speak rather than looking for the optimum machine, the truth is by the time you look at all the available brands and models you could probably come up with close to a hundred different new and used models that would do the tasks you mentioned. We grew up farming 160 acres with a 2WD 32 HP tractor, still use it as a matter of fact. I even used it on our hill farm where I now live to bush hog, grade etc., not my choice, but it worked. When I could afford it, I bought something better suited.

My inclination is that while several sizes will do the job, I would pick something in the 39-40 HP range along the lines of the JD3000 Series, Kubota L/Grand L or equivalent in any of the other brands. I personally like the Kubota Grand L Series with the HST+ transmission, but you pay for it. Other less expensive tractors will get the job done.

I would take my time, look at reputable, friendly dealers in your area to start with. We own a Massey Ferguson, but don't have a good dealer in my area, so while it may be on your list it won't be on mine, same for Mahindra and LS and to a lesser extent Kioti. My brother went out of state to get his Kioti, but he is a lot better mechanic than I and his will never be near a dealer again.

I often recommend renting a tractor of the size you think you will like with as close to the features you want and use it on your land for a day or two, preferably two.

Even after all the research, it is still going to be a difficult decision. Two of the last tractors I bought were not the ones I thought I needed, once I went smaller and once bigger, none of us is going to be able to pick "the" tractor for you.

I have been driving tractors for over fifty years and if I pile what I know against what I need to know, the "need to know" pile is going to be bigger and always will be.

Good luck in your decision process, hope I don't steer you too far off.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards either JD or Kubota since both dealers are less than 10 miles from the house. I'll try to make it back to the dealers this week.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #40  
Thanks. I'm leaning towards either JD or Kubota since both dealers are less than 10 miles from the house. I'll try to make it back to the dealers this week.

Although GManBart suggests buying a major brand is a costly mistake because quote: "Buying from NH would have cost me $8000 more...." I have to wonder what brand he purchased and just how far he has to travel for parts and service. Having a JD or Kubota dealer nearby is a HUGE plus if you are a novice to tractor ownership.