Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #61  
Sd, my issue is not so much with the machine. Its with the dealer that wont address my problems.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #62  
Sd, my issue is not so much with the machine. Its with the dealer that wont address my problems.

Curious about something: How many other brands of equipment does the dealer you are having issues with sell? Assume your purchase was a new machine so my query addresses what brands he also sells new. Thanks.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #63  
We don't have the red clay, thank goodness. It's very fertile, somewhat sandy soil. I'm now trying to decipher the differences between Deere and kubota.
I think [Ive heard] Deeres HST pedal and independent brake arrangement will let you use the independent [left/rt] brakes conveniently while you vary power with the HST. Kubota ... not so much.
larry

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #64  
Curious about something: How many other brands of equipment does the dealer you are having issues with sell? Assume your purchase was a new machine so my query addresses what brands he also sells new. Thanks.

They sell only komatsu. They are one of the largest dealers in the south. Yes machine was purchased new. The salesman even through in a 3 year extended warranty. They just seem not to care about resolving these problems that are covered by factory one year warranty. Ive even told the field rep that I will be trading my deere dozer soon and these issues not being addressed will keep me out of their sales office. Its not the brand, I love the machine, its the dealer.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #65  
I think [Ive heard] Deeres HST pedal and independent brake arrangement will let you use the independent [left/rt] brakes conveniently while you vary power with the HST. Kubota ... not so much.
larry

While this is true of many models, the new L60 is moving the brakes to the left, same with the new BXxx70 though they are not split brakes. While I prefer brakes on the left and bought a new L40 to avoid the L60, many like brakes on the left, so it seems Kubota is moving in that direction.

I have no trouble using steering brakes on mine, but find no use for them.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #66  
larry

My Deere has the brakes on the left separate from the HST pedals on the right but I doubt if I have ever used the brakes for any purpose except the parking brake function.

pjbci, I am sorry to learn your dealer is so lackadaisical about taking care of your warranty issues. I could understand their attitude if he sold numerous brands and Komatsu was one of many, but to ignore a customer's issues with the only brand sold there is very poor service and reflects badly on the dealership.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #67  
I'm curious why the only options are either a small 4wd or a larger 2wd?

Depending on what you want, you can spend a whole lot more money on a CUT 4wd than a utility sized 4wd.

So why not consider a larger 4wd and get the best of both worlds?

I agree. I purchased a Deere 5045d in July last year and it came to just a smidge over 22K with 512 FEL, 72" bucket with replaceable cutting edge, 16.9 rears loaded, pallet forks, and block heater. I don't need the 4wd, but if I had, I would have invested the 2500 or so more to get the 5045E instead of the compacts. There's just more there if you need it, and the price wouldn't be much harder to swallow than a compact in my opinion.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?
I've thought about that as well. What else compares to a 5045e?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #69  
I have a Kubota L3400 and its a heck of a machine. Haven't had a lick of problems with it and the HST is a godsend doing loader work! The loader is strong enough to lift the rear end off the ground if your not paying close attention. Its a strong lil machine, the only thing I dont like is the HST seems to suck alot of power but I only notice it when I'm running something off of the pto. I have a few thousand hours on an older john deere 750 with a manual trans and it was such a PITA to use the loader on it. I was always shifting gears. I also got a heck of a forearm work out from the lack of power steering! That was a very reliable tractor for being 30 years old though! just regular maintenance on it.

I went with the Deere for two reasons for my bigger tractor. The weight difference was one(deere outweighed the kubota by over 1k lbs) and the 0% financing for 72 months was the other. Would I ever buy a full size Kubota? you betcha, it just made more money sense for the deere at the time.

My best advice would be to go drive some different models of the brands you are considering. You will be suprised at what aggravates you and what is very handy. That in and of itself might make up your mind for you even if its not the cheapest option.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #70  
RNR has the best advice, go drive some. You might even ask one of the dealers to let you demo a machine on your site. I drove tractors for a week at various dealers before making my decision. Customer service helped put the Kubota dealer at the top of the list.

Mine is a 2wd gear model with FEL. It is light in the rear end without ballast on the hitch but I haven't gotten it stuck even on theses red clay hills during the winter. Does it spin some? sure it does but so does the 4wd Kubota M5700.

My FIL farmed these red clay hills for nearly 50 years with 2wd tractors and never got one stuck and I have yet to get one stuck (24 years). My personal opinion is that 4wd is over rated for hobby farming. For those of you doing extensive loader work or moving snow on a regular basis it IS essential.

To say 2wd tractors for loader work are obsolete goes a little too far. Mine works fine with ballast on the 3pt hitch.