Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #1  

agsanders

Tractor
JD 3032e
Been lurking for a long time. First time posting. I have about 15 acres that I need to maintain. All wooded. I would like a tractor for general bush hog work, cutting trials, moving dirt and generally just messing around. No mowing of fields, heavy plowing, etc. The terrain is slightly rolling without any steep hills. Combination of planted pines and virgin hardwoods.

I've talked to several different people about my needs. Some recommend one of these compact 4wd packages - JD 3032 w/ FEL, box blade, bush hog for instance. Others recommend something like a JD 5045 w/ associated implements. I'm not hung up on Deere, just giving examples. We have all the major dealers within a short distance.

I have spent hours reading threads but I need some help and advice.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #2  
Wow, those two are pretty radically different! Essentially, the 5045 has twice the capability, on paper, but probably more in the real world (assuming 4WD isn't going to make a huge difference for you, terrain wise).

I think it comes down to budget, what capabilities are most important to you, and how important time is for your tractor work. 4WD is very handy while doing FEL work, but you'll run out of lift capability pretty quickly with something like the 3032, which means smaller loads, more trips, etc. something like the 5045 can get a lot more done, but will the extra capability be wasted on most of your tasks.

I wanted something closer to the 5045 size, with FEL, but wasn't willing to pay an extra $10K for green, the original orange, etc....it's working out well so far. I wouldn't overlook a newer used model....just saw a beautiful 2008 Kioti DK55 with cab on Craigslist for $24K, and it's only got 138hrs on it....that's a lot of tractor for the money!

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #3  
I'm biased because I deliberately purchased a 2WD and with a rear weight have no problem loading the loader with dirt in hard clay. Less maintenance on a 2WD than 4WD and power comes from the rears on either one. (Ducks and runs for cover)

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #4  
:welcome: I use a MF 135 for brushing and grading, loaded tires.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #5  
   / Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to do some more reading. This is really or me just to play with at home.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #7  
Go larger fwa tractor. You get the best of both worlds.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #8  
4WD hands down. Had a 65 H.P. 2WD w/loader and the 45HP 4WD I replaced it with was far and away better. No need for chains in the winter and way better for loader work.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #9  
I have spent hours reading threads but I need some help and advice.

My 4300 is similar to the 3032 and it's plenty for messing around on my 42 acres. I think a 5045 would be much more than you need for just 15 acres. Whatever you end up getting, I recommend it has 4WD. It makes a significant difference in what a tractor can do.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #10  
pictures of property, trails, amount of trees, picture of what you call slopes vs steep hills.