Buying Advice Need a tractor

/ Need a tractor #1  

chowell75

Tractor
None
Hi Guys
I am a long time reader, first time poster. This is my intro so here is a little back ground on me. I own 8 acres on my wife's families old farm place. We also own 18 acres on another small land track. I plan to plant 500-1000 blue berry bushes, farm 3 or so acres in veggies, that could be sold at our local farmers market, keep a couple steers for our personal meat supply. I also own a small, but profitable lawn mowing business. I need to upgrade my mower, and would like to only buy one machine that would handle all of these chores. I was looking at the JD 1026r, but do not like the limited cat 1 hitch. Now I am thinking about the Mahindra Max 25 or 28xl.
Chores needed by tractor
  • Mid-mount mowing
  • bush hogging
  • box blade
  • single bottom plow - small disc- or tilling
  • front end loader

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

/ Need a tractor #2  
What makes are within 50 miles of you?

/ Need a tractor
All that I am considering will be within the 50 radius. I learned this from reading posts from the past. Keep them coming.... Thanks

/ Need a tractor #5  
All that I am considering will be within the 50 radius. I learned this from reading posts from the past. Keep them coming.... Thanks

Does that mean there are only two dealers within 50mi, or you're only considering those two brands?

/ Need a tractor #6  
i gotta question HP size range

you will have basically a small little farm. meaning dealing with "round bales" possibly, along with a set of pallet forks. maybe a feed grinder, dealing with trees, and stumps, dealing with posts and fences.

might advise jumping up to say 30 to 40 HP range. so you have enough power when you need it, vs the small farm turning into a full time job, due to amount of time it may take with a smaller size tractor.

/ Need a tractor #7  
See post#2 and tell us please

/ Need a tractor #8  
The Kubota BX has a full cat 1 3 point hitch. It lifts 3 or 4 inches higher than a JD 1 series.

/ Need a tractor #9  
Hi Guys
I am a long time reader, first time poster. This is my intro so here is a little back ground on me. I own 8 acres on my wife's families old farm place. We also own 18 acres on another small land track. I plan to plant 500-1000 blue berry bushes, farm 3 or so acres in veggies, that could be sold at our local farmers market, keep a couple steers for our personal meat supply. I also own a small, but profitable lawn mowing business. I need to upgrade my mower, and would like to only buy one machine that would handle all of these chores. I was looking at the JD 1026r, but do not like the limited cat 1 hitch. Now I am thinking about the Mahindra Max 25 or 28xl.
Chores needed by tractor
  • Mid-mount mowing
  • bush hogging
  • box blade
  • single bottom plow - small disc- or tilling
  • front end loader

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend a John Deere 33/3520 would be good, It has the capability for Mid-Mount Mowing and the power for ground engagement tasks. Or you could put a rear finish mower on the tractor instead.

Everyone around here the farms blueberrys has 3000 series tractors. From 3005's to 3720's with cabs.

/ Need a tractor #10  
I also recommend 30+ hp. The max28 is nice and does a lot for its size, but I would want a bit more like the JD 3520, ck35, next size or two up in mahindras, l3800, etc in the 30+ hp.

For mowing and easy transport I would look for a used jd455 or x749. What u need for the farm and what u need for contract landscape work don't ideally meet in one machine. If really only can swing one machine, I'd look at the lighter tractors by kubota. LS is also making some nice machines.