Need a mowing rig

/ Need a mowing rig #1  

texasfarmboy

Tractor
91 Case/IH 895
My Case IH 895 does the plowing tilling etc, however I want to buy a rig just to be a mower. Looking at 8n, 9n, 2000 or 861 in my area and all are around 2500 with a shredder. Any thoughts?

/ Need a mowing rig #2  
? Hay? Pasture? Brush? Lawn? How wide?

Here is my 6', found it on eBay. Much faster than a shredder.

P5311712.JPG

/ Need a mowing rig
It will need to mow 40 acres of brush over some pretty hilly stuff. I was using my Case and a 6ft bush hog. But I need my tractor for other stuff. Most people tell me get an 8n, but I am partial to the diesel

/ Need a mowing rig #4  
It will need to mow 40 acres of brush over some pretty hilly stuff. I was using my Case and a 6ft bush hog. But I need my tractor for other stuff. Most people tell me get an 8n, but I am partial to the diesel

Yep, me too. This one is diesel, 3 cylinder, 25 hp. 4WD handles hills no problem, 6' deck will cut 1 inch brush easily. I got it to mow the dam and brush at the edge of the woods.
P3300138.JPGP3300139.JPG

/ Need a mowing rig #5  
The Ford 2000 or Massey Ferguson 135. They have a relatively low center of gravity but have the hp to run a 5 or 6 foot brush cutter and certainly a mower. The Perkins diesel in the 135 would be my choice (have one and love it). We have some steep hills and it works great in low range on the hills.

Like someone said elsewhere we are partial to the tractors that happen to sit in our yards. Your mileage may vary.

/ Need a mowing rig #6  
I love my 8N, but it's marginal with a 5' brush cutter. The other big issue is lack of a live/independent PTO. I'd lean towards either the 2000 or 861 depending on condition, as both have enough power to get the job done, and have live PTOs.

/ Need a mowing rig #7  
I would definetly stay with diesel,for 40 acres you are going to get tired of putting gas in a 8n or any other gas burner. Diesel is safer for bushogging,specially when its dry, exhaust manifolds dont get near as hot, which i am sure you already know this. Like Ted said above, Massy 135 is a good one, I always liked Perkins engines, been around a few on irrigation wells, low center of gravity and weight, that is a good to have when bushogging in the hills. LUTT

/ Need a mowing rig #8  
Stay away from a 9n. They only have a 3 speed trans. A 8n is a 4 speed but not live hydraulics or PTO. I would go with the 2000.

/ Need a mowing rig #9  
40 acres is a lot, I would stay away from N's. Go with something that can easily LIFT and run a 6ft shredder. Even a 2000 gas can be marginal. Remember, there are early 2000's that are really the same as 600 series and later ones with 3 cyl gas/diesel, not all are live pto. If it's wide open space any old diesel farm tractor will work well, Oliver, Ford, MF, IH, etc, you could go 50hp and up. With a Ford I would want at least a 3000 or 4000. With the N you will be stuck with a 5ft cutter on a marginal tractor doing 40 acres. Even with the old 4cyl Fords I would stick with an 800/801 or 4000, at least you'll have a 172 engine to turn the shredder.